Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PRAY

Posted by Steve P on 9/11/01 at 11:13 (059865)

Dear friends, please pray right now.

Pray for those trapped in buildings, those suffering or dying at this moment, those terrified, dying, or in danger as you read this, and all whose lives will never be the same.

Please lift them up to God.

Re: PRAY

Suzanne D on 9/11/01 at 11:27 (059868)

Amen...

Pauline on 9/11/01 at 11:29 (059869)

A better message was never posted! Amen.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/01 at 11:49 (059875)

We all need to pray and be thankful for what we have and the peace we have had. I do not think things will ever be the same again after today.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 9/11/01 at 12:56 (059880)

I know it seems hard at times to wonder why these things happen. During times like this, to even small trials that I face daily, I always rely on one of my favorite scriptures: Romans 8:28.
Richard

Laurie R on 9/11/01 at 13:24 (059883)

Hi Everyone , this is crazy . My prayers are with everyone now .... I kept my kids home today from school and I also have my sisters kids with me. I feel so much for the people that got affected by this . I mean it has affected all of us in some way ,but the buildings that got blown up. Very , Very sad day . Laurie R

wendyn on 9/11/01 at 13:34 (059885)

Richard for those of us who can't remember it - you could print it

Suzanne D on 9/11/01 at 13:50 (059887)

'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love the Lord who are called according to His purpose.'

I think that's right. I don't have a Bible here at school with me, but that is what is in my memory. I may have a word or two wrong.

Peace to everyone...

Richard, C.Ped on 9/11/01 at 14:30 (059890)

Suzanne..you are exactly right. It is hard to see any good in this right now, but somehow, someday...we will.
Richard

clara on 9/11/01 at 15:15 (059893)

Hi Laurie R!

I pray all the prayers I can think about....
THINKING OF YOU ----- ALL THE TIME!

We see nothing here in Sweden on television but news about this horror.
I cannot believe it´s true.

Lets pray togeter now!

TAKE CARE/
Clara

john h on 9/11/01 at 15:40 (059895)

As a small child i well remember Pearl Harbor. I remember President Roosevelts speech the following day. Our country came together as never before or since. This is worse than Pearl Harbor! We must again come together as a people. Our lives shall forever be changed. After we bury our dead and heal our wounded we must respond. There must be no place to far, to high or to hidden that we shall not pursue these terriorist, at any cost, to avenge this horror. May God give the families of the dead and injured the courage to endure. God bless our fallen and God Bless America.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 18:49 (059915)

I still have a hard time understanding but I do know that we are a great
people that the world of teriorism doesn't understand how close and strong
the American people are. I wish that I could say something to the families
that have paid the price that will make this nation greater then after Pearl Habor. Hug all of your loved ones tonite

Anthony P on 9/11/01 at 19:29 (059922)

This whole thing is just evil , But this is the last straw
GOD BLESS AMERICA . A

Re: Let's all be kind to all strangers...

Cynthia D on 9/11/01 at 20:11 (059927)

What a horrific, surreal day. We should all learn not to take anything for granted any more, our years of peace are gone, gone. Let's all be kinder and gentler, people's nerves are high so let them turn their car in front of you, help a young mother who needs to open a door, and help an elderly person carrying a package, don't ignore someone in need. That's all.

Nancy N on 9/11/01 at 20:19 (059928)

Hear, hear. I agree wholeheartedly. I understand the desire to fight back, and I do think that something needs to be done, but I am not sure what the right answer is. I get scared when I find myself thinking things like 'Go kill those guys!' because it says that I am starting on the path to become one of them. There is an answer out there, but hate is not a part of it.

wallyh on 9/11/01 at 23:12 (059940)

It has been a difficult day for me. Very sad. I live near the city and I knew several people who worked in thr building. Everyone I know is safe. My brother in law is a commodities trader and that market doesn't open till 10a.m. He got off the subway at 9:15 and saw the smoke. I hope we can figure out a peaceful way to stop this madness. I understand the urge to retaliate. It has to be done differently or it will go on and on. This was an inevitability we were waiting for, and today it came. I guess I feel like the families of the 3-5 million people who died in Bagdad during Desert Storm. It has to stop somewhere.

john h on 9/12/01 at 10:46 (059962)

when the redcoats fought the Indians they marched in long straight lines in the open while the Indians stayed concealed in the forest and picked them off one by one. we cannot march in long straight lines. in WW II we accepted what is now called 'collaterial damage'. the fate of our country and England was at stake. We flattened cities to the earth and London was flattened to the earth. That has become unacceptable in our society but is very acceptable to our enemies. Eventually you must fight them on their own terms or perish. There is no such thing as a clean war. We tried it in Vietnam and lost. I have flown over areas where people were shooting at me and trying to kill me. The 'Rules of Engagement' did not allow me to return fire or defend my self. The enemy had no rules of was while we tried to fight in a 'civil' manner. Make no mistake here we are at war with people who's goals are totally destruction of our society by any means available.

wallyh on 9/12/01 at 12:58 (059976)

Just a correction of my last post. That was 300,000 to 500,000. I respect your service to our country. I have no answer to to this, and I wish there was an easy one. One thing for sure, history will point out that this will go on, especially if we retaliate. I realize I am in a small minority, but this seems more like revenge than any creative solution.

Re: Wally -- I must strongly disagree

Steve P on 9/12/01 at 14:03 (059983)

Wally -- I respect your opinion, but I think history shows the exact opposite of what you say.

Numerous attempts were made to appease Hitler as he gobbled up country after country. Each success made him bolder. Appeasement didn't work then & never has. In the end, hesitation costs many, many lives.

We must take a stand against these people.

Barbara TX on 9/12/01 at 16:00 (059994)

This is the comparison that husband immediately thought of - the redcoats marching in two straight lines into guerilla warfare. Our technology necessitates and entirely diferent sort of war. B.

Barbara TX on 9/12/01 at 16:06 (059998)

Me too. We have hoped beyond hope that this would stop when our embassies abroad and our ships were attacked. Hope and appeasement won't cut it anymore. Some people never think force is acceptable - but legitimate acts of self defense have always been morally acceptable to major faiths. The WTC tragedy is a sad result of turning our heads away from the way that modern wars are fought. Terrorists force our hands. B.

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 17:23 (060014)

I don't think that hope and appeasement are the only alternatives to force. And I don't necesarily believe that force is wrong, either--but I do believe that whatever response we take must be extremely well-considered. The general sentiment abroad, from what I've read, is that our allies are deeply sympathetic and ready to lend a hand--but if we turn this event into an opportunity for mindless revenge, we will lost both their respect and their support. There have been reports that the strength with which the president has made his comments is already causing some worry in some quarters. There is more to consider here than just the terrorists themselves. This year, our government has upset a lot of other countries by refusing to sign treaties and by the prospect of breaking some of the old ones, and we must be sure that we do not further the gaps that are growing between us and our friends around the world.

If we go into Afghanistan (operating on the assumption that we are talking about bin Laden and that he is hiding there), we need to be absolutely sure that we know exactly where he is before attacking. If we harm civilians unnecessarily, we are no better than he is, and we also live up to the 'Great Satan' image that we've been given in some parts of the world. I hate to put it this way, but a lot of PR has to go into whatever response we take. Again, I am not saying that the use of force is unwarranted, but that we must be extremely judicious in our use of that force, or we could end up inciting more terrorism on our soil. And now that every terrorist in the world sees that it can be done, I don't think they will need much encouragement.

John has a great point when he reminds us of the old school of warfare and the British folly of marching in long rows. Their refusal to change thinking in new and untested circumstances is a large part of the reason that we don't call ourselves colonies today. We need to learn from the past, and find new ways to deal with this new-ish problem. The old saying that we fight fire with fire may be the truest in this situation--as long as we realize that, in this case, the 'fire' in question may mean taking some terroristic tactics ourselves, rather than sending out the entire armed forces to blow away the small group of people who were behind the attack. It may call for a small group of highly trained personnel who can get in and out of the target area without creating a fuss, hurting civilians, or otherwise causing havoc--and who can accomplish their goal quietly.

I am absolutely not for 'hope and appeasement.' But we need to remember that there are many ways to grapple with this problem...

Re: I hope government plays hard ball but carefully

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 17:50 (060017)

This is actually the first thing I've ever heard Bush say I really agreed with... that these attacks were 'an act of war.' I hope whatever retaliation that our military ends up carrying out is decisive and cautious, but some sort of strong military action seems inevitable. Otherwise, some future terrorist and country harboring him will just think they can get away with these reprehensible crimes. I want our government to know for sure who did it before acting, but after that, I'd be supportive of a military action.

Yesterday morning my maintenance man came by to fix a minor repair at the apartment, and as he gazed at the TV, he said, he was 'ready to go sign up to kick butt.' So, there you have the bubba response.

Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/01 at 17:56 (060020)

John,

What you say is so true. We are at war and we must track all people no
all govt that are involved. Their govt building must burn. I hate to be
cruel but the head must be cut off so that the arms can't just follow
anymore. I have never been in war like you but I understand what you
are saying

wendyn on 9/12/01 at 18:25 (060024)

I think we can already see with many of these posts that we're headed for some major disagreements on how people view these events.

I would ask Scott for some patience - and perhaps a bit of latitude for people to express themselves (on the social/support board). I think that it's very healthy for people to express themselves and think through their feelings right now..even if it leads to some confrontations. Pounding out your frustrations on a keyboard is not a bad outlet.

This is one of those unique situations where I think it should be allowed to go on, as long as it doesn't become obscene or personally abusive.

Scott - let me know if you disagree.

Re: Link

wendyn on 9/12/01 at 18:30 (060025)

http://www.cnn.com/2001/fyi/teachers.ednews/09/11/talk.trama/index.html

This is a good link on talking to kids

wallyh on 9/12/01 at 18:32 (060026)

Nancy, Barbara, Others, with respect

I know the realities of war, and there is a warrior side of me, and a military side that that is very appealing. Understand, I'm not talking about appeasement. Japan and Germany could be and were effectively dealt with because the enemies had a country and were in many ways a unified force an I agree with the way we handled that. In this situation how cannot single out one country or a particular unified cohesive force. We have in fact retailiated against terrorism which seems to be the enemy here and another terrorist or cell group just pops up in it's place. Kadafi (ms) Saddam Hussein, bin Laden. Do we now take out Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, and a few more Middle Eastern countries that harbor anti-American sentiment you have talked about? Where does this end? These people haven't the resources to engage in a real conventional war so in their frustration they will resort to terrorism. Any action if it it not fully and decisively carried out will only engender more of this frustration and helplessness. In this case since we are battling an ideology that is spread out and scattered we really can't act in decisive enough matter. So I think what we have to look forward to if we act is just more fear in our life. There are water supplies that can be affected, deadly gasses can be loosed in crowded areas, bombs; the list can go on ad infinitum. We haven't dealt with that yet and we really haven't a lot of experience with terrorism. I think our methods of dealing with this of late have failed, and I think using historical examples that I believe are obsolete (in this case) will just create a negative continuum. We are a creative people by nature. I think we should work harder, more intelligently, and take more time with this.

Re: dr z..

john h on 9/12/01 at 19:12 (060036)

The Israeli's clearly understand the problem Dr. Z. they have lived with it since their inception. The stated goal of their Arab enemies is the complete and total destruction of Israel. This is clear and unmistakable the stated goal. With that goal in mind how do you negotiate anything. You cannot just wish for peace! It want work.

Elements of the Arab world want the destruction of this nation. They have clearly and unmistakeably stated that over and over. Children are being taught that from the time they enter school that we are The Great Satin. Thinking happy thoughts or just hoping everything will get better just is not going to happen. These problems must be faced with eyes wide open and understand the reality before us. If your boat is sinkiing it is good to pray but it is also important to keep rowing for shore as fast as you can. I have lived long enough in my lifetime to have seen the gradual shift from dealing with problems in a forthright realistic manner to our current state of dreamy eyed unrealistic view of what is really happeing all around us. The wake up bell has sounded and the bell may soon toll for us.

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 20:01 (060041)

Wally--

Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing with you. I am not opposed to the use of force if it is deemed necessary, but I would pray that time is taken and the most appropriate response is chosen, whether it includes the use of force or not. Otherwise, as you have said, we will merely exacerbate the problem.

Suzanne D on 9/11/01 at 11:27 (059868)

Amen...

Pauline on 9/11/01 at 11:29 (059869)

A better message was never posted! Amen.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/01 at 11:49 (059875)

We all need to pray and be thankful for what we have and the peace we have had. I do not think things will ever be the same again after today.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 9/11/01 at 12:56 (059880)

I know it seems hard at times to wonder why these things happen. During times like this, to even small trials that I face daily, I always rely on one of my favorite scriptures: Romans 8:28.
Richard

Laurie R on 9/11/01 at 13:24 (059883)

Hi Everyone , this is crazy . My prayers are with everyone now .... I kept my kids home today from school and I also have my sisters kids with me. I feel so much for the people that got affected by this . I mean it has affected all of us in some way ,but the buildings that got blown up. Very , Very sad day . Laurie R

wendyn on 9/11/01 at 13:34 (059885)

Richard for those of us who can't remember it - you could print it

Suzanne D on 9/11/01 at 13:50 (059887)

'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love the Lord who are called according to His purpose.'

I think that's right. I don't have a Bible here at school with me, but that is what is in my memory. I may have a word or two wrong.

Peace to everyone...

Richard, C.Ped on 9/11/01 at 14:30 (059890)

Suzanne..you are exactly right. It is hard to see any good in this right now, but somehow, someday...we will.
Richard

clara on 9/11/01 at 15:15 (059893)

Hi Laurie R!

I pray all the prayers I can think about....
THINKING OF YOU ----- ALL THE TIME!

We see nothing here in Sweden on television but news about this horror.
I cannot believe it´s true.

Lets pray togeter now!

TAKE CARE/
Clara

john h on 9/11/01 at 15:40 (059895)

As a small child i well remember Pearl Harbor. I remember President Roosevelts speech the following day. Our country came together as never before or since. This is worse than Pearl Harbor! We must again come together as a people. Our lives shall forever be changed. After we bury our dead and heal our wounded we must respond. There must be no place to far, to high or to hidden that we shall not pursue these terriorist, at any cost, to avenge this horror. May God give the families of the dead and injured the courage to endure. God bless our fallen and God Bless America.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 18:49 (059915)

I still have a hard time understanding but I do know that we are a great
people that the world of teriorism doesn't understand how close and strong
the American people are. I wish that I could say something to the families
that have paid the price that will make this nation greater then after Pearl Habor. Hug all of your loved ones tonite

Anthony P on 9/11/01 at 19:29 (059922)

This whole thing is just evil , But this is the last straw
GOD BLESS AMERICA . A

Cynthia D on 9/11/01 at 20:11 (059927)

What a horrific, surreal day. We should all learn not to take anything for granted any more, our years of peace are gone, gone. Let's all be kinder and gentler, people's nerves are high so let them turn their car in front of you, help a young mother who needs to open a door, and help an elderly person carrying a package, don't ignore someone in need. That's all.

Nancy N on 9/11/01 at 20:19 (059928)

Hear, hear. I agree wholeheartedly. I understand the desire to fight back, and I do think that something needs to be done, but I am not sure what the right answer is. I get scared when I find myself thinking things like 'Go kill those guys!' because it says that I am starting on the path to become one of them. There is an answer out there, but hate is not a part of it.

wallyh on 9/11/01 at 23:12 (059940)

It has been a difficult day for me. Very sad. I live near the city and I knew several people who worked in thr building. Everyone I know is safe. My brother in law is a commodities trader and that market doesn't open till 10a.m. He got off the subway at 9:15 and saw the smoke. I hope we can figure out a peaceful way to stop this madness. I understand the urge to retaliate. It has to be done differently or it will go on and on. This was an inevitability we were waiting for, and today it came. I guess I feel like the families of the 3-5 million people who died in Bagdad during Desert Storm. It has to stop somewhere.

john h on 9/12/01 at 10:46 (059962)

when the redcoats fought the Indians they marched in long straight lines in the open while the Indians stayed concealed in the forest and picked them off one by one. we cannot march in long straight lines. in WW II we accepted what is now called 'collaterial damage'. the fate of our country and England was at stake. We flattened cities to the earth and London was flattened to the earth. That has become unacceptable in our society but is very acceptable to our enemies. Eventually you must fight them on their own terms or perish. There is no such thing as a clean war. We tried it in Vietnam and lost. I have flown over areas where people were shooting at me and trying to kill me. The 'Rules of Engagement' did not allow me to return fire or defend my self. The enemy had no rules of was while we tried to fight in a 'civil' manner. Make no mistake here we are at war with people who's goals are totally destruction of our society by any means available.

wallyh on 9/12/01 at 12:58 (059976)

Just a correction of my last post. That was 300,000 to 500,000. I respect your service to our country. I have no answer to to this, and I wish there was an easy one. One thing for sure, history will point out that this will go on, especially if we retaliate. I realize I am in a small minority, but this seems more like revenge than any creative solution.

Steve P on 9/12/01 at 14:03 (059983)

Wally -- I respect your opinion, but I think history shows the exact opposite of what you say.

Numerous attempts were made to appease Hitler as he gobbled up country after country. Each success made him bolder. Appeasement didn't work then & never has. In the end, hesitation costs many, many lives.

We must take a stand against these people.

Barbara TX on 9/12/01 at 16:00 (059994)

This is the comparison that husband immediately thought of - the redcoats marching in two straight lines into guerilla warfare. Our technology necessitates and entirely diferent sort of war. B.

Barbara TX on 9/12/01 at 16:06 (059998)

Me too. We have hoped beyond hope that this would stop when our embassies abroad and our ships were attacked. Hope and appeasement won't cut it anymore. Some people never think force is acceptable - but legitimate acts of self defense have always been morally acceptable to major faiths. The WTC tragedy is a sad result of turning our heads away from the way that modern wars are fought. Terrorists force our hands. B.

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 17:23 (060014)

I don't think that hope and appeasement are the only alternatives to force. And I don't necesarily believe that force is wrong, either--but I do believe that whatever response we take must be extremely well-considered. The general sentiment abroad, from what I've read, is that our allies are deeply sympathetic and ready to lend a hand--but if we turn this event into an opportunity for mindless revenge, we will lost both their respect and their support. There have been reports that the strength with which the president has made his comments is already causing some worry in some quarters. There is more to consider here than just the terrorists themselves. This year, our government has upset a lot of other countries by refusing to sign treaties and by the prospect of breaking some of the old ones, and we must be sure that we do not further the gaps that are growing between us and our friends around the world.

If we go into Afghanistan (operating on the assumption that we are talking about bin Laden and that he is hiding there), we need to be absolutely sure that we know exactly where he is before attacking. If we harm civilians unnecessarily, we are no better than he is, and we also live up to the 'Great Satan' image that we've been given in some parts of the world. I hate to put it this way, but a lot of PR has to go into whatever response we take. Again, I am not saying that the use of force is unwarranted, but that we must be extremely judicious in our use of that force, or we could end up inciting more terrorism on our soil. And now that every terrorist in the world sees that it can be done, I don't think they will need much encouragement.

John has a great point when he reminds us of the old school of warfare and the British folly of marching in long rows. Their refusal to change thinking in new and untested circumstances is a large part of the reason that we don't call ourselves colonies today. We need to learn from the past, and find new ways to deal with this new-ish problem. The old saying that we fight fire with fire may be the truest in this situation--as long as we realize that, in this case, the 'fire' in question may mean taking some terroristic tactics ourselves, rather than sending out the entire armed forces to blow away the small group of people who were behind the attack. It may call for a small group of highly trained personnel who can get in and out of the target area without creating a fuss, hurting civilians, or otherwise causing havoc--and who can accomplish their goal quietly.

I am absolutely not for 'hope and appeasement.' But we need to remember that there are many ways to grapple with this problem...

Re: I hope government plays hard ball but carefully

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 17:50 (060017)

This is actually the first thing I've ever heard Bush say I really agreed with... that these attacks were 'an act of war.' I hope whatever retaliation that our military ends up carrying out is decisive and cautious, but some sort of strong military action seems inevitable. Otherwise, some future terrorist and country harboring him will just think they can get away with these reprehensible crimes. I want our government to know for sure who did it before acting, but after that, I'd be supportive of a military action.

Yesterday morning my maintenance man came by to fix a minor repair at the apartment, and as he gazed at the TV, he said, he was 'ready to go sign up to kick butt.' So, there you have the bubba response.

Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/01 at 17:56 (060020)

John,

What you say is so true. We are at war and we must track all people no
all govt that are involved. Their govt building must burn. I hate to be
cruel but the head must be cut off so that the arms can't just follow
anymore. I have never been in war like you but I understand what you
are saying

wendyn on 9/12/01 at 18:25 (060024)

I think we can already see with many of these posts that we're headed for some major disagreements on how people view these events.

I would ask Scott for some patience - and perhaps a bit of latitude for people to express themselves (on the social/support board). I think that it's very healthy for people to express themselves and think through their feelings right now..even if it leads to some confrontations. Pounding out your frustrations on a keyboard is not a bad outlet.

This is one of those unique situations where I think it should be allowed to go on, as long as it doesn't become obscene or personally abusive.

Scott - let me know if you disagree.

Re: Link

wendyn on 9/12/01 at 18:30 (060025)

http://www.cnn.com/2001/fyi/teachers.ednews/09/11/talk.trama/index.html

This is a good link on talking to kids

wallyh on 9/12/01 at 18:32 (060026)

Nancy, Barbara, Others, with respect

I know the realities of war, and there is a warrior side of me, and a military side that that is very appealing. Understand, I'm not talking about appeasement. Japan and Germany could be and were effectively dealt with because the enemies had a country and were in many ways a unified force an I agree with the way we handled that. In this situation how cannot single out one country or a particular unified cohesive force. We have in fact retailiated against terrorism which seems to be the enemy here and another terrorist or cell group just pops up in it's place. Kadafi (ms) Saddam Hussein, bin Laden. Do we now take out Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, and a few more Middle Eastern countries that harbor anti-American sentiment you have talked about? Where does this end? These people haven't the resources to engage in a real conventional war so in their frustration they will resort to terrorism. Any action if it it not fully and decisively carried out will only engender more of this frustration and helplessness. In this case since we are battling an ideology that is spread out and scattered we really can't act in decisive enough matter. So I think what we have to look forward to if we act is just more fear in our life. There are water supplies that can be affected, deadly gasses can be loosed in crowded areas, bombs; the list can go on ad infinitum. We haven't dealt with that yet and we really haven't a lot of experience with terrorism. I think our methods of dealing with this of late have failed, and I think using historical examples that I believe are obsolete (in this case) will just create a negative continuum. We are a creative people by nature. I think we should work harder, more intelligently, and take more time with this.

Re: dr z..

john h on 9/12/01 at 19:12 (060036)

The Israeli's clearly understand the problem Dr. Z. they have lived with it since their inception. The stated goal of their Arab enemies is the complete and total destruction of Israel. This is clear and unmistakable the stated goal. With that goal in mind how do you negotiate anything. You cannot just wish for peace! It want work.

Elements of the Arab world want the destruction of this nation. They have clearly and unmistakeably stated that over and over. Children are being taught that from the time they enter school that we are The Great Satin. Thinking happy thoughts or just hoping everything will get better just is not going to happen. These problems must be faced with eyes wide open and understand the reality before us. If your boat is sinkiing it is good to pray but it is also important to keep rowing for shore as fast as you can. I have lived long enough in my lifetime to have seen the gradual shift from dealing with problems in a forthright realistic manner to our current state of dreamy eyed unrealistic view of what is really happeing all around us. The wake up bell has sounded and the bell may soon toll for us.

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 20:01 (060041)

Wally--

Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing with you. I am not opposed to the use of force if it is deemed necessary, but I would pray that time is taken and the most appropriate response is chosen, whether it includes the use of force or not. Otherwise, as you have said, we will merely exacerbate the problem.