Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swelling

Posted by PatC on 9/12/01 at 09:19 (059952)

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this site. I have gotten more information here than from my primary care dr. and podiatrist. My primary care doctor said that I had retrocalcaneal bursitis (pump bump) and sent me to a Podiatrist. He took xrays and said that I had bone spurs. His conservative treatment was to put me in a cast for 5 weeks. The last two week, my calf started swelling if I was on my feet too long and pain came back. When I went back and took off cast, he referred me to physical therapy (which I am suppose to start next week). On the referral he wrote, achilles tendonitis. From reading your site, I have all of the symtoms of plantar faciitis. All I do know is that is it very painful. I'm going to try the Berkenstocks like many of you recommend. My question is, do any of you have trouble with swelling? My ankle has been swollen every evening since the cast came off and I now have a rash on my foot and ankle that itches. Any comments?

Re: Rash

Carmen H on 9/12/01 at 10:14 (059959)

I can commenton the rash (from experiencing a cast on my foot and ankle years ago) and it's just probably from your skin not being able to breath for so long. It itches and burns a bit yes?
I would keep it clean and possibly use a cortizone cream for a few days. If it doesn't help or get better see a GP for assessment.
As far as the swelling goes I can't say....except that your muscle may have been in Atrophy and any use without stretching it could be causing the swelling? Not sure....so get your doctor to look at it ASAP. Do NOT go barefoot...whatever you do.

PatC on 9/12/01 at 10:54 (059963)

Thank you for the info. I was wondering if it might be do to the cast. I will follow your advice and follow up with my dr.

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 12:03 (059973)

Pat,

I'm sorry you are going through such a trial. I have PF and achilles tendonitis. I used to love my Birks dearly, but my orthopedic surgeon made me stop wearing them and switch to a shoe with at least a one inch heel, and he encouraged me to try orthodics again. It was hard giving up the Birks, but now that I've been in athletic shoes with orthodics for several months, I can see a difference in my ankles.

I had only minimal swelling; so I can't comment on that.

Best luck,
Beverly

Re: Swelling

Suzanne D on 9/12/01 at 16:08 (060000)

The first week of June when I began to have such terrible pain in my left foot (and a small amount of pain in the right), my ankles were also swollen. I had never had swollen ankles before. I don't know if that was part of the onset of PF (like you, I have obtained most of my info from this site.)or not, but they were both swollen and rather blotchy looking. Gradually through icing and stretching and taking first a week of steroids then an NSAID for a few weeks, the swelling is gone although the pain is not (though it has lessened). Best wishes for your healing!

PatC on 9/12/01 at 17:01 (060011)

Thank you Beverly and Suzanne for answering my message. It helps to know that someone else understands what I am going through. I know my husband is probably getting tired of all my aches and pains. I have been taking vioxx which helps some, but when it wears off, the heel and ankle pain come right back. I am also icing several times a day. I guess that I should talk to my poditrist before buying any shoes.

john h on 9/15/01 at 09:12 (060433)

swelling after a cast is removed does not sound unusual to me. I have had various cast on during my lifetime and as i recall i did have some swelling upon removal. Especially if cast was tight.

Carmen H on 9/12/01 at 10:14 (059959)

I can commenton the rash (from experiencing a cast on my foot and ankle years ago) and it's just probably from your skin not being able to breath for so long. It itches and burns a bit yes?
I would keep it clean and possibly use a cortizone cream for a few days. If it doesn't help or get better see a GP for assessment.
As far as the swelling goes I can't say....except that your muscle may have been in Atrophy and any use without stretching it could be causing the swelling? Not sure....so get your doctor to look at it ASAP. Do NOT go barefoot...whatever you do.

PatC on 9/12/01 at 10:54 (059963)

Thank you for the info. I was wondering if it might be do to the cast. I will follow your advice and follow up with my dr.

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 12:03 (059973)

Pat,

I'm sorry you are going through such a trial. I have PF and achilles tendonitis. I used to love my Birks dearly, but my orthopedic surgeon made me stop wearing them and switch to a shoe with at least a one inch heel, and he encouraged me to try orthodics again. It was hard giving up the Birks, but now that I've been in athletic shoes with orthodics for several months, I can see a difference in my ankles.

I had only minimal swelling; so I can't comment on that.

Best luck,
Beverly

Suzanne D on 9/12/01 at 16:08 (060000)

The first week of June when I began to have such terrible pain in my left foot (and a small amount of pain in the right), my ankles were also swollen. I had never had swollen ankles before. I don't know if that was part of the onset of PF (like you, I have obtained most of my info from this site.)or not, but they were both swollen and rather blotchy looking. Gradually through icing and stretching and taking first a week of steroids then an NSAID for a few weeks, the swelling is gone although the pain is not (though it has lessened). Best wishes for your healing!

PatC on 9/12/01 at 17:01 (060011)

Thank you Beverly and Suzanne for answering my message. It helps to know that someone else understands what I am going through. I know my husband is probably getting tired of all my aches and pains. I have been taking vioxx which helps some, but when it wears off, the heel and ankle pain come right back. I am also icing several times a day. I guess that I should talk to my poditrist before buying any shoes.

john h on 9/15/01 at 09:12 (060433)

swelling after a cast is removed does not sound unusual to me. I have had various cast on during my lifetime and as i recall i did have some swelling upon removal. Especially if cast was tight.