Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

close to home

Posted by nancy s. on 9/12/01 at 11:41 (059971)

like many people today, i'm sure, i'm only beginning to come out of shock and start to absorb what happened yesterday. i feel so much grief for the people who died and for people who already know they lost loved ones and for people who don't know yet, who are in that awful limbo.
i was unable yesterday to reach by phone one of my oldest friends, from college, who lives in new jersey and whose fantastic daughter goes to school in lower manhattan and visited us this past summer.. finally last night i wrote her an email, ANNIE ANNIE, IS KATE OK??? i learned by email from her in the night that yes, kate is ok.
my younger brother and his family live just outside of DC, and my brother teaches at American University IN DC. They're fine, we learned as soon as they'd collected my two little nieces and gone home.
now today i learn that two of the hijackers flew out of the portland maine jetport yesterday morning, only 10 miles from my house. of course i couldn't have known that, but it puts a heavy weight on one's shoulders, wishing that you could have known and done something to stop them.
the jetport here will see very little air traffic, if any, for some time to come, they say. they found the rental car of two of the hijackers there in the parking garage, and it is now a crime scene.
there have been times when i've disagreed with the american government's policies or actions, but i've always considered myself extremely fortunate to live here and be a citizen of the U.S., and i believe in the fundamental principles behind our founding. we've been so lucky, to enjoy the freedoms and security we've had for so long. i don't think any of us will be able to feel those things again in the same way, the way we'd always assumed. it's very sad; yet it brings to me a fuller understanding of the insecurity that too much of the rest of the world has lived with for a long time.
i hope that this understanding ultimately leads to more solidarity and peace among all well-intentioned peoples of the world, and to more determination to find the true ways to peaceful co-existence.
in great sorrow,
from nancy

Re: close to home

Mary De on 9/12/01 at 14:28 (059986)

I join with Nancy in sorrow and compassion for the rest of the world, as well as our own victims. This tragedy does not happen in a vacuum. I'm horrified by the blood lust and war drums amplified by the media. And I'm frightened for our civil rights -- our most precious rights -- which are threatened now, if history is any guide. Indeed, we are suddenly at a crossroads. (What's my foot pain compared to this?)

My prayer is for calmness and rationality to prevail. May peace break out, and the bloodshed *end* here.

with hope, Mary DeDanan

Laurie R on 9/12/01 at 15:31 (059990)

Dear Nancy and Mary De , I with you both on this . Very sad for everyone . I believe in world peace , the bloodshed needs to end. My kids are so upset over this . I teach my kids not to hate but to appreciate .... Peace to all.... Laurie R

Mary De on 9/12/01 at 14:28 (059986)

I join with Nancy in sorrow and compassion for the rest of the world, as well as our own victims. This tragedy does not happen in a vacuum. I'm horrified by the blood lust and war drums amplified by the media. And I'm frightened for our civil rights -- our most precious rights -- which are threatened now, if history is any guide. Indeed, we are suddenly at a crossroads. (What's my foot pain compared to this?)

My prayer is for calmness and rationality to prevail. May peace break out, and the bloodshed *end* here.

with hope, Mary DeDanan

Laurie R on 9/12/01 at 15:31 (059990)

Dear Nancy and Mary De , I with you both on this . Very sad for everyone . I believe in world peace , the bloodshed needs to end. My kids are so upset over this . I teach my kids not to hate but to appreciate .... Peace to all.... Laurie R