Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I finally just had to turn off the news... too much to take in...

Posted by Beverly on 9/12/01 at 12:20 (059975)

I sat glued to the set most of yesterday. I usually watch the news from a sense of distance no matter what is happening (majored in journalism/journalism background), but it was just too much for me by last night. I decided that today I would turn on the TV for the morning and evening news so I would not be 'ignorant,' but otherwise I just have to take a break from everything I saw yesterday. It was overwhelming.
I don't ever remember an event being so all encompassing that there wasn't even a weather report given yesterday.

I would like to know more about the brave pilot who crashed in Penn rather than let his plane become a missile.

Beverly

Re: I finally just had to turn off the news... too much to take in...

Clara on 9/12/01 at 13:04 (059977)

I cannot believe this is true, what is happening over there? We see lots of things on TV but what can you believe???
I´m totally chocked, likewise all the world.

My feet doesn´t hurt at all, I cannot sleep, I forgot to eat today, I can hardly breathe...

I pray for you 'over there!' - and for us all on this earth

Clara

john h on 9/12/01 at 14:11 (059984)

bev: from what i am reading i think there were probably some brave passengers on that flight who stood up and fought back also. i watched one mom this morning who's son got though on a cell phone and my sense was that he informed her they would fight back and that one passenger had already fought and been killed. people will step into the breach and do the right thing when called for. i watched a KC-135 tanker with a full load of fuel lose an engine on takeoff over Wichita, Kansas. The pilot could not hold altitude and was surely going to crash into downtown Wichita. The pilot nosed the plane over and dove the plane straight into a vacant lot near the Wichita State University. There were no civilian casualities. In Iceland i watched an F89 fighter take off. I was on the end of the runway where there was a small fishing village (Keflavik). The aircraft lost of of it's two engines and could not sustain altitude. I watched as the pilot fought to bring the aircraft just over the top of one house after another and finally stall out and drop into the sea after just clearing the last house by a few feet. He might have survived if he had plowed straight ahead. I know of numerous cases where the pilots rode their planes in rather than eject because their was a good possibility the plane could have crashed into a populated area. We have heroes all around us and we rarely know it.

Donna M on 9/12/01 at 14:20 (059985)

Clara, I like you, basically say 'what foot problem?' I can't turn my TV off, I am consumed with hurt, disbelief, sorrow and hope. I haven't gotten to the anger part yet, which would actually be of no good to anyone.
I have mixed feelings about retaliation. God says revenge is His, but is this revenge defending our people and our Country? I don't want other innocent people hurt, but can we afford to sit back and wait to see where the next target is and take whatever they want to hit us with as a Nation?
I want the responsible parties punished, and to the fullest extent, but I hate for other innocent people to lose their lives, as we had so many that did, needlessly, yesterday.
Sorry if this sounds like a jumbled mess, but I not thinking straight at this point.
I also hope we hear from Ellen. I pray she is safe.

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 17:53 (060019)

John, I just caught that this afternoon... watched a couple of hours of TV and then made myself take a break. Those passengers were great hero's, and you are right, we have no idea how many other people are heros everyday.

Beverly

Re: Passengers knew their destination

Valerie S on 9/13/01 at 11:03 (060129)

I heard that the men who fought back had just heard through a cell phone call about the WTC attack, and they decided that if they were going to die, they were going to do what they could to prevent another 'successful' mission.

Clara on 9/12/01 at 13:04 (059977)

I cannot believe this is true, what is happening over there? We see lots of things on TV but what can you believe???
I´m totally chocked, likewise all the world.

My feet doesn´t hurt at all, I cannot sleep, I forgot to eat today, I can hardly breathe...

I pray for you 'over there!' - and for us all on this earth

Clara

john h on 9/12/01 at 14:11 (059984)

bev: from what i am reading i think there were probably some brave passengers on that flight who stood up and fought back also. i watched one mom this morning who's son got though on a cell phone and my sense was that he informed her they would fight back and that one passenger had already fought and been killed. people will step into the breach and do the right thing when called for. i watched a KC-135 tanker with a full load of fuel lose an engine on takeoff over Wichita, Kansas. The pilot could not hold altitude and was surely going to crash into downtown Wichita. The pilot nosed the plane over and dove the plane straight into a vacant lot near the Wichita State University. There were no civilian casualities. In Iceland i watched an F89 fighter take off. I was on the end of the runway where there was a small fishing village (Keflavik). The aircraft lost of of it's two engines and could not sustain altitude. I watched as the pilot fought to bring the aircraft just over the top of one house after another and finally stall out and drop into the sea after just clearing the last house by a few feet. He might have survived if he had plowed straight ahead. I know of numerous cases where the pilots rode their planes in rather than eject because their was a good possibility the plane could have crashed into a populated area. We have heroes all around us and we rarely know it.

Donna M on 9/12/01 at 14:20 (059985)

Clara, I like you, basically say 'what foot problem?' I can't turn my TV off, I am consumed with hurt, disbelief, sorrow and hope. I haven't gotten to the anger part yet, which would actually be of no good to anyone.
I have mixed feelings about retaliation. God says revenge is His, but is this revenge defending our people and our Country? I don't want other innocent people hurt, but can we afford to sit back and wait to see where the next target is and take whatever they want to hit us with as a Nation?
I want the responsible parties punished, and to the fullest extent, but I hate for other innocent people to lose their lives, as we had so many that did, needlessly, yesterday.
Sorry if this sounds like a jumbled mess, but I not thinking straight at this point.
I also hope we hear from Ellen. I pray she is safe.

Beverly on 9/12/01 at 17:53 (060019)

John, I just caught that this afternoon... watched a couple of hours of TV and then made myself take a break. Those passengers were great hero's, and you are right, we have no idea how many other people are heros everyday.

Beverly

Re: Passengers knew their destination

Valerie S on 9/13/01 at 11:03 (060129)

I heard that the men who fought back had just heard through a cell phone call about the WTC attack, and they decided that if they were going to die, they were going to do what they could to prevent another 'successful' mission.