Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

work.....

Posted by JudyS on 9/12/01 at 14:29 (059987)

was my personal solace this morning, but there is no avoiding our colective tragedy. Once again, as I read your posts, I am struck by what a truly unique group we've grown to be - and I am humbled to have become a member of it. As time goes on, it appears that each and every individual in this world was affected by this tragedy - given that, perhaps what it will eventually become is a glue that unites a vast majority of countries and faiths.
Clara, you, Wendy and Julie, without question, demonstrate that with your continued posts in support of this US tragedy and it is warming. My son has phoned twice from England with news of how unbelievably solicitous and compassionate Englanders are to his group as they tour.
I would like to tell you all that Julie never hesitated when I asked her if I could leave her email and phone with my son should he choose to seek more personal communication during this horrible time. His emails and phone calls presented a bit of fear, concern, etc. to me so Julie became our available port in a storm. She is the best example I can think of of what this board has really become - and she has roots in New York.
Meanwhile, let us continue to pray for Ellen's safekeeping until we hear from her.

Re: work.....

Laurie R on 9/12/01 at 15:21 (059989)

Dear Judy and everyone , You said it best. We are more than just people that write on this board. We have became friends .... We are the most compassionate and caring people I have ever seen on the net.. Thank you Scott for starting this board.... My prayers go out to everyone .... Much love and peace to all...... Laurie R

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 16:53 (060009)

Judy, I have to agree that I was very glad this morning that nobody had called to say that school was cancelled. I finally turned off the light at 1am this morning, having been afraid to go to sleep--both because of the horrible nightmare potential, and because I was so scared to wake up and find out that something else had happened.

If I had to stay home today instead of going to work, giving me both a group of kids to care about, and a caring community of colleague who would take care of me and I them, I would have gone out of my mind. I will confess that I have never been one to argue with an unexpected day off, but I think I might actually have gone in anyway (or been desperate enough to go back to my old job for the day!) just to get out and give myself something else to think about. It's important for us to be able to talk about it, but it's also important that we give ourselves other things to think about.

Re: Roots - and an eyewitness report

Julie on 9/13/01 at 03:04 (060084)

The Atlantic ocean has shrunk since Tuesday.

Judy, you mentioned my roots in New York. In the 40 years I've lived in England I've never really been in doubt as to where my roots are, but this week I'm more conscious of them than at any time during those four decades. The attack was not really on property, or on people, but on our sense of safety, of invulnerability, and when I say 'our', I include myself. I no longer feel safe. Now I know that the sense I've always had of being safe stemmed from being American, from having grown up in a country that had never experienced the reality of war, of an attack within its own shores. I took that sense of being safe with me to London, and have always had it here, too - yes, believe it or not, all during the last 25 years or so of IRA terrorist attacks.

I don't have it any more. New York was my home. I was born and grew up there. My parents lived there all their lives and died there. I have friends and relatives there. As I try to get my mind to encompass all that has happened, and its implications and possible consequences, I feel more as though I am 'there', rather than 'here'. And it has been a great help to me to be in touch with you all.

Yesterday I was waiting for replies to my e-mails to them, and thankfully have had them, and everyone is all right. My cousin, who lives in the Village and works downtown, saw it happen and sent me a long eye-witness report. She was at the dentist's, whose office has a clear view of both towers, and saw it all as it happened. She says 'I feel that my city has suffered a great wound and because my city made me, it's my wound, too.'

The entire world has suffered a great wound. I feel quite sure, as most of you do, that it is going to have to be cauterized (by some kind of action) before it can heal, but that everything now depends on what that action is, and when and why and how and against whom it is taken. I've all your posts this morning on the other threads. All I want to contribute is to repeat what I said yesterday (and here I will put on my 'British' hat because this is perhaps easier to see from a distance). Almost the entire world (not just the so-called 'free' and 'democratic' countries) has been galvanized by what happened on Tuesday to pull together in whatever is going to happen next. Much of what has been said may be lip-service, but if sanity and luck prevail now, there may be enough real sympathy and support, and will to stand and act together, to accomplish some realistic ends. If the US administration acts precipitately, it will be lost, with terrible consequences for everyone. America is not alone in this, and must lose the sense that it is, must lose its insularity. What happened on Tuesday happened not just to us Americans, but to everyone: to the whole world.

Laurie R on 9/12/01 at 15:21 (059989)

Dear Judy and everyone , You said it best. We are more than just people that write on this board. We have became friends .... We are the most compassionate and caring people I have ever seen on the net.. Thank you Scott for starting this board.... My prayers go out to everyone .... Much love and peace to all...... Laurie R

Nancy N on 9/12/01 at 16:53 (060009)

Judy, I have to agree that I was very glad this morning that nobody had called to say that school was cancelled. I finally turned off the light at 1am this morning, having been afraid to go to sleep--both because of the horrible nightmare potential, and because I was so scared to wake up and find out that something else had happened.

If I had to stay home today instead of going to work, giving me both a group of kids to care about, and a caring community of colleague who would take care of me and I them, I would have gone out of my mind. I will confess that I have never been one to argue with an unexpected day off, but I think I might actually have gone in anyway (or been desperate enough to go back to my old job for the day!) just to get out and give myself something else to think about. It's important for us to be able to talk about it, but it's also important that we give ourselves other things to think about.

Re: Roots - and an eyewitness report

Julie on 9/13/01 at 03:04 (060084)

The Atlantic ocean has shrunk since Tuesday.

Judy, you mentioned my roots in New York. In the 40 years I've lived in England I've never really been in doubt as to where my roots are, but this week I'm more conscious of them than at any time during those four decades. The attack was not really on property, or on people, but on our sense of safety, of invulnerability, and when I say 'our', I include myself. I no longer feel safe. Now I know that the sense I've always had of being safe stemmed from being American, from having grown up in a country that had never experienced the reality of war, of an attack within its own shores. I took that sense of being safe with me to London, and have always had it here, too - yes, believe it or not, all during the last 25 years or so of IRA terrorist attacks.

I don't have it any more. New York was my home. I was born and grew up there. My parents lived there all their lives and died there. I have friends and relatives there. As I try to get my mind to encompass all that has happened, and its implications and possible consequences, I feel more as though I am 'there', rather than 'here'. And it has been a great help to me to be in touch with you all.

Yesterday I was waiting for replies to my e-mails to them, and thankfully have had them, and everyone is all right. My cousin, who lives in the Village and works downtown, saw it happen and sent me a long eye-witness report. She was at the dentist's, whose office has a clear view of both towers, and saw it all as it happened. She says 'I feel that my city has suffered a great wound and because my city made me, it's my wound, too.'

The entire world has suffered a great wound. I feel quite sure, as most of you do, that it is going to have to be cauterized (by some kind of action) before it can heal, but that everything now depends on what that action is, and when and why and how and against whom it is taken. I've all your posts this morning on the other threads. All I want to contribute is to repeat what I said yesterday (and here I will put on my 'British' hat because this is perhaps easier to see from a distance). Almost the entire world (not just the so-called 'free' and 'democratic' countries) has been galvanized by what happened on Tuesday to pull together in whatever is going to happen next. Much of what has been said may be lip-service, but if sanity and luck prevail now, there may be enough real sympathy and support, and will to stand and act together, to accomplish some realistic ends. If the US administration acts precipitately, it will be lost, with terrible consequences for everyone. America is not alone in this, and must lose the sense that it is, must lose its insularity. What happened on Tuesday happened not just to us Americans, but to everyone: to the whole world.