Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is my prognosis of a torn plantar facia

Posted by Lynn B on 9/12/01 at 15:20 (059988)

After having plantar faciitis for more than a year and treating the symptoms as many have suggested, I finally had a significant tear while playing soccer. It was a popping sound. I could barely hobble off the field. After four days the pain isn't as bad, and icing, stretching, and taking ibuprofin seems to be working. My questions are: Will the tear heal normally without special medical treatment or surgery? What should I do differently for a tear rather than just the regular soreness?
Thanks

Re: What is my prognosis of a torn plantar facia

Laura L on 9/14/01 at 21:04 (060399)

I tore my pf 11 months ago. I had to find a new orthopedic when mine said there was nothing he could do. I went to a foot/ankle ortho. I spent 2 months in a cast which gave my pf the support it needed to start healing. It also helps the pf heal at the right length. Left natural it can heal tight and you are back to ground zero. I am pretty active and until I had the cast to immobilize my foot, I never gave it a chance to heal. I now wear custom molded orthotics in my shoes which support my pf and continues to help it heal. I recently felt some good rips, but the doctor said all is well and that set backs will occur. I still have a lot of pain, but my husband and I just finished cutting, splitting and stacking our wood supply for the winter. I am so glad I did the cast because the bottom of my foot no longer feels like jello. I had 4mths between rupture and cast, and after 2 months in a cast it was great!! I wish my first doctor had put me in a cast. Vioxx works pretty good for the pain. Good luck!

Re: What is my prognosis of a torn plantar facia

Laura L on 9/14/01 at 21:04 (060399)

I tore my pf 11 months ago. I had to find a new orthopedic when mine said there was nothing he could do. I went to a foot/ankle ortho. I spent 2 months in a cast which gave my pf the support it needed to start healing. It also helps the pf heal at the right length. Left natural it can heal tight and you are back to ground zero. I am pretty active and until I had the cast to immobilize my foot, I never gave it a chance to heal. I now wear custom molded orthotics in my shoes which support my pf and continues to help it heal. I recently felt some good rips, but the doctor said all is well and that set backs will occur. I still have a lot of pain, but my husband and I just finished cutting, splitting and stacking our wood supply for the winter. I am so glad I did the cast because the bottom of my foot no longer feels like jello. I had 4mths between rupture and cast, and after 2 months in a cast it was great!! I wish my first doctor had put me in a cast. Vioxx works pretty good for the pain. Good luck!