Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tops of feet hurting?

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/12/01 at 16:31 (060006)

I hate to even ask a question about foot pain with all the much more important PAIN that so many are experiencing...But if you will allow me this question, I appreciate it:

What could be causing the tops of both my feet to hurt with every step? I admit that I walked too much Saturday out on the road with our school bike ride/walk. I rested halfway and went slowly and didn't go as far as others, but since Sunday, the tops of both my feet really hurt with each step. It's a new pain and I am just concerned about what it is and what to do about it. Perhaps with the extra walking, I strained some muscles wearing my Birk sandals with the straps across the top? They are loose straps and had never bothered me before, but this was more walking than I had done. I had been feeling so much better that I thought I would be o.k. Kind of discouraging, but then I think of all those affected by the tragedy yesterday and don't want to whine...

Thanks to anyone who might have an idea about this.

Re: tops of feet hurting?

Valerie S on 9/13/01 at 17:38 (060186)

Hi Suzanne.

I am not a doctor, and if your pain continues I would say you should definitely call your doctor for advice. Let me tell you my experience... I too had this pain months ago; it felt almost like the bones in my forefoot were breaking... I don't know if this is similar to what you are experiencing, but my doctor told me that it was from improper arch support. If you were wearing Birks, this might not be the case for you.

Recently, my husband worked in a factory for a short period of time and experienced bad pain in the top of his feet (he doesn't have PF). We got some arch supports and put them in his work boots, and the pain went away.

Or it could be compensatory pain or cramped muscles from increased activity. Take it easy, and don't do anymore marathons for awhile...! I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Even though there are people with much bigger problems than ours, we still need to be aware of our bodies and continue to make progress. I hope you feel better soon. Ice and rest and elevate... and call your doctor if it doesn't go away in a day. You don't want to get any more troubles. God forbid, you might have to use your feet to save your life someday...

Take it easy.
Val.

Suzanne D on 9/13/01 at 18:55 (060203)

Thank you so much, Valerie, for responding. In the midst of all the tragedy and worries, I appreciate your taking the time to write to me about my small problems. It brought tears to my eyes to think that strangers care enough about one another on this board to write and try to help. I will follow your advice.

My best to you!

Re: Look at this site..it may help

Carmen on 9/14/01 at 17:24 (060364)

http://www.sportsinjury.com.au/bodymap/injury12/injury2.htm

Extensor Tendinitis? POssibly? Search the site for FOOT conditions..it's full of information.
Other parts of the bod too for active people.

john h on 9/15/01 at 09:03 (060431)

i sure do not think it is PF Suzanne. Have they checked for a stress fracture? Funny story: I started with horrible pain across the top of my foot. Various doctor could find no reason. One night i awakend my self when i kicked the metal bar across the bottom of my bed while sleeping on my stomach (restless leg syndrome). From then on i slept higher up in the bed where my feet could not reach that bar and my pain disappeared within 3 days. This had gone on for 6 months.

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:05 (060450)

THANK YOU so much! I will check this site.

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:10 (060452)

THANK YOU, John. I finally put on my tennis shoes with the drugstore inserts I had yesterday for school, and the tops of my feet didn't hurt. But by the end of the day, my heel and arch on my worst foot were beginning to feel like they did when the PF pain first began. Putting on my Birks, the heel and arch feel much better, but the top of my feet hurt again with every step - right where the strap comes across the middle of the foot (It is not tight; I can insert 4 fingers between the strap and my foot which I read is supposed to be right.) That leaves me in a quandry...I do have an appointment Thursday with the podiatrist. Things had been steadily improving until this, and I am confused. Of course from reading on this board, I know there are lots of ups and downs experienced by many people. Thanks for your post.

Re: I forgot this...

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:14 (060454)

I did have x-rays 5 weeks ago but not since the pain began at the first of this week.

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:32 (060474)

suzanne: what if you stop wearing birks for a week does the pain go away. Do you wear socks with your birks? The three strap birks might place the two strap airizona' straps at a different place on our foot. Perhaps a birk with a backstrap might hold your foot more steady and stop the pain if it is strap related. The only thing 3 doctors ever checked me for when i complained of foot pain on top was for a stress fracture. Post and ask one of the docs what else might cause foot pain on top.

Diane R on 12/08/01 at 17:34 (066544)

I sometimes get pain on the tops of my feet when wering Birks for an extended period, too. I think it is the gripping motion they force your toes to make. When you don't walk a lot those tendons on the top of your feet don't get much exercise. When this happens to me, I get off my feet as much as possible for a couple of days and it goes away. If you have non-Birks that work for you, you might try those for a day or 2 also. Good luck! Noone wants a NEW pain to go with all the OLD pain!

Valerie S on 9/13/01 at 17:38 (060186)

Hi Suzanne.

I am not a doctor, and if your pain continues I would say you should definitely call your doctor for advice. Let me tell you my experience... I too had this pain months ago; it felt almost like the bones in my forefoot were breaking... I don't know if this is similar to what you are experiencing, but my doctor told me that it was from improper arch support. If you were wearing Birks, this might not be the case for you.

Recently, my husband worked in a factory for a short period of time and experienced bad pain in the top of his feet (he doesn't have PF). We got some arch supports and put them in his work boots, and the pain went away.

Or it could be compensatory pain or cramped muscles from increased activity. Take it easy, and don't do anymore marathons for awhile...! I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Even though there are people with much bigger problems than ours, we still need to be aware of our bodies and continue to make progress. I hope you feel better soon. Ice and rest and elevate... and call your doctor if it doesn't go away in a day. You don't want to get any more troubles. God forbid, you might have to use your feet to save your life someday...

Take it easy.
Val.

Suzanne D on 9/13/01 at 18:55 (060203)

Thank you so much, Valerie, for responding. In the midst of all the tragedy and worries, I appreciate your taking the time to write to me about my small problems. It brought tears to my eyes to think that strangers care enough about one another on this board to write and try to help. I will follow your advice.

My best to you!

Carmen on 9/14/01 at 17:24 (060364)

http://www.sportsinjury.com.au/bodymap/injury12/injury2.htm

Extensor Tendinitis? POssibly? Search the site for FOOT conditions..it's full of information.
Other parts of the bod too for active people.

john h on 9/15/01 at 09:03 (060431)

i sure do not think it is PF Suzanne. Have they checked for a stress fracture? Funny story: I started with horrible pain across the top of my foot. Various doctor could find no reason. One night i awakend my self when i kicked the metal bar across the bottom of my bed while sleeping on my stomach (restless leg syndrome). From then on i slept higher up in the bed where my feet could not reach that bar and my pain disappeared within 3 days. This had gone on for 6 months.

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:05 (060450)

THANK YOU so much! I will check this site.

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:10 (060452)

THANK YOU, John. I finally put on my tennis shoes with the drugstore inserts I had yesterday for school, and the tops of my feet didn't hurt. But by the end of the day, my heel and arch on my worst foot were beginning to feel like they did when the PF pain first began. Putting on my Birks, the heel and arch feel much better, but the top of my feet hurt again with every step - right where the strap comes across the middle of the foot (It is not tight; I can insert 4 fingers between the strap and my foot which I read is supposed to be right.) That leaves me in a quandry...I do have an appointment Thursday with the podiatrist. Things had been steadily improving until this, and I am confused. Of course from reading on this board, I know there are lots of ups and downs experienced by many people. Thanks for your post.

Re: I forgot this...

Suzanne D on 9/15/01 at 11:14 (060454)

I did have x-rays 5 weeks ago but not since the pain began at the first of this week.

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:32 (060474)

suzanne: what if you stop wearing birks for a week does the pain go away. Do you wear socks with your birks? The three strap birks might place the two strap airizona' straps at a different place on our foot. Perhaps a birk with a backstrap might hold your foot more steady and stop the pain if it is strap related. The only thing 3 doctors ever checked me for when i complained of foot pain on top was for a stress fracture. Post and ask one of the docs what else might cause foot pain on top.

Diane R on 12/08/01 at 17:34 (066544)

I sometimes get pain on the tops of my feet when wering Birks for an extended period, too. I think it is the gripping motion they force your toes to make. When you don't walk a lot those tendons on the top of your feet don't get much exercise. When this happens to me, I get off my feet as much as possible for a couple of days and it goes away. If you have non-Birks that work for you, you might try those for a day or 2 also. Good luck! Noone wants a NEW pain to go with all the OLD pain!