Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FHL treatment

Posted by Rick B. on 9/12/01 at 21:44 (060051)

Well, I just read the previous message on Faux Fasciitis. This is exactly what I have per the description. I have had it for a year and a half. I also get vascular constriction on the bottom of my feet when they get inflammed. What is the treatment for FHL? By the way, orthotics really irritate this tendon, but walking without orthotics causes the tendon to get inflammed very quickly too.

Re: FHL treatment

Rick B. on 9/12/01 at 21:45 (060053)

I thought I would mention that I have high arches.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/01 at 22:24 (060064)

What is the location of your pain?
Ed

Re: Rick...

Carmen H on 9/13/01 at 07:50 (060102)

I am glad the post I put up did some good for you....let me ask you...do you have pain anywhere else in relation to the feet? Hamstrings, calves tight? etc.

Re: To Carmen

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 09:32 (060116)

Carmen,
I hate to give you any incorrect information, but I believe Dr. Mannoli
does a surgery to address this problem. He's a very well respected and published Ortho. Maybe you could call his office or write for information (248) 858-6773. After you find out what he is doing maybe there are others in your area he could recommend. It's just a thought and I hope not a wild goose chase. Sometimes we have to track down our best chances for a cure.

Re: THANKS

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 12:36 (060133)

thanks for your input...I will take down his name and number. But have to ask he specializes in which problem? I have several that I belive are allll related. I am not willing to do any surgery however as I have had one unnecessary one done in the last 7 months.....

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 12:50 (060140)

Carmen,
Check him out. He is top notch in the foot and ankle area and I'm sure if you write to him you will get a reply. He is not a pusher of surgery and will be the first to tell you not to have any. If you have to have it and want quality he is the man. He reconstructs entire feet and has been know to remove bone from other areas to reshape and use in the repair. One outstanding surgeon but only if you need surgery.

Re: Okay

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 15:26 (060159)

I'll keep it in mind but I am avoiding surgery as I think my problem can be approached from another angle.
Thanks Pauline!

Rick B. on 9/13/01 at 20:06 (060221)

The dull achy pain is mid arch, just outside of the large tendon. Walking without suppor t(I have orthotics that are very firm but not hard) will quickly irritate it. When I sit down, I have vascular constriction in the bottom of my feet for awhile. There is no pain at all when I sleep or get up. The more i walk, the worst it is. I suspect that softer arch supports would help.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/01 at 02:40 (060544)

It is possible that a softer arch support may cause less irritation. I would focus more on the type of support and the shape of the support as opposed to the hardness or softness. I have not seen you foot but it is likely that your orthotic needs to allow the big toe joint to drop downwards such that excessive tendion of FHL is relieved. What type of support or orthotic are you using?
Ed

Rick B. on 9/12/01 at 21:45 (060053)

I thought I would mention that I have high arches.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/01 at 22:24 (060064)

What is the location of your pain?
Ed

Re: Rick...

Carmen H on 9/13/01 at 07:50 (060102)

I am glad the post I put up did some good for you....let me ask you...do you have pain anywhere else in relation to the feet? Hamstrings, calves tight? etc.

Re: To Carmen

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 09:32 (060116)

Carmen,
I hate to give you any incorrect information, but I believe Dr. Mannoli
does a surgery to address this problem. He's a very well respected and published Ortho. Maybe you could call his office or write for information (248) 858-6773. After you find out what he is doing maybe there are others in your area he could recommend. It's just a thought and I hope not a wild goose chase. Sometimes we have to track down our best chances for a cure.

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 12:36 (060133)

thanks for your input...I will take down his name and number. But have to ask he specializes in which problem? I have several that I belive are allll related. I am not willing to do any surgery however as I have had one unnecessary one done in the last 7 months.....

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 12:50 (060140)

Carmen,
Check him out. He is top notch in the foot and ankle area and I'm sure if you write to him you will get a reply. He is not a pusher of surgery and will be the first to tell you not to have any. If you have to have it and want quality he is the man. He reconstructs entire feet and has been know to remove bone from other areas to reshape and use in the repair. One outstanding surgeon but only if you need surgery.

Re: Okay

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 15:26 (060159)

I'll keep it in mind but I am avoiding surgery as I think my problem can be approached from another angle.
Thanks Pauline!

Rick B. on 9/13/01 at 20:06 (060221)

The dull achy pain is mid arch, just outside of the large tendon. Walking without suppor t(I have orthotics that are very firm but not hard) will quickly irritate it. When I sit down, I have vascular constriction in the bottom of my feet for awhile. There is no pain at all when I sleep or get up. The more i walk, the worst it is. I suspect that softer arch supports would help.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/01 at 02:40 (060544)

It is possible that a softer arch support may cause less irritation. I would focus more on the type of support and the shape of the support as opposed to the hardness or softness. I have not seen you foot but it is likely that your orthotic needs to allow the big toe joint to drop downwards such that excessive tendion of FHL is relieved. What type of support or orthotic are you using?
Ed