Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

nerve entrapment

Posted by wallyh on 9/13/01 at 13:06 (060143)

I went for an independent medical exam yesterday ordered by my insurance company. The doctor has concurred with my own Podiatrist's diagnosis of PF which has been bothering me since May. Orthotics, icing, taping, and weight loss have helped, but I have reaced an impasse. I can walk about a half a mile and I experience inflammation for a day or two. When the doctor examined me yesterday he squeezed the side of my heel at the bone on the right side and there was searing pain. He suggested that there might be nerve entrapment due to the original injury. I've had an MRI and it came back negative. He really didn't explain clearly what that entails as he was in a hurry. I am a bit confused. Could you give me a simple explanation of nerve entrapment based on the info I have given you? What steps can be taken if this is true? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
wallyh

Re: nerve entrapment

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/01 at 13:23 (060147)

Which side of your heel was tender when squeezed---the inside (toward the arch), the outside or both sides?
Ed

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 15:06 (060157)

Ed,

Both sides were squeezed, but the outside is where I felt the pain.
Wally

Re: Wally

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 18:05 (060189)

Check out the Nerve links I posted above....See if you can localize your pain site better using that chart. May help...?

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 18:40 (060198)

Carmen,

Thanks, but the page won't come up.

Wally

wally h on 9/13/01 at 18:48 (060201)

Ed,

Sorry to confuse you, but I'm confused myself. Tonight I squeezed my heel and the pain was right near the heel bone on the INSIDE where there appears to be soft tissue, but I swear when the doctor did it it was on the other side. Is this possible or am I going crazy?

Re: try copying and pasting

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 18:50 (060202)

I had no trouble pulling it up....but try copying and pasting it...

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/01 at 19:41 (060214)

Wally:

It really can be hard to remember all of the things that go on in the doctors office. Doctors have debated the best ways to present things to patients, how much information to present....

Try the squeeze test a couple more times and if you get consistent results, then the area you have found is probably the right one. Do you get a sharp pain when you squeeze the inside of your heel? Any tingling or numbness? If we are thinking nerve entrapment, then a possiblity is entrapment of the medial calcaneal nerve. The medial calcaneal nerve is a branch off the posterior tibial nerve. It is a purely sensory nerve that gives sensation to the bottom of the heel.
Ed

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 22:08 (060250)

Ed,

After consistent squeezing tonight, the pain is on the inside around the edge of the heel very close to where the soft tissue begins. No numbness or tingling and the inside or center of the heel near where the facia connects has very little to no pain when I apply pressure. yesterday the doctor did put bery hard pressure with his thumb in the center of the heel and it hurt then, but not tonight. If you have anymore thoughts on this or info it would be appreciated, and I am thankful for your response and the time you took to answer my question.

Thanks again,
Wally

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/01 at 13:23 (060147)

Which side of your heel was tender when squeezed---the inside (toward the arch), the outside or both sides?
Ed

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 15:06 (060157)

Ed,

Both sides were squeezed, but the outside is where I felt the pain.
Wally

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 18:05 (060189)

Check out the Nerve links I posted above....See if you can localize your pain site better using that chart. May help...?

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 18:40 (060198)

Carmen,

Thanks, but the page won't come up.

Wally

wally h on 9/13/01 at 18:48 (060201)

Ed,

Sorry to confuse you, but I'm confused myself. Tonight I squeezed my heel and the pain was right near the heel bone on the INSIDE where there appears to be soft tissue, but I swear when the doctor did it it was on the other side. Is this possible or am I going crazy?

Re: try copying and pasting

Carmen on 9/13/01 at 18:50 (060202)

I had no trouble pulling it up....but try copying and pasting it...

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/01 at 19:41 (060214)

Wally:

It really can be hard to remember all of the things that go on in the doctors office. Doctors have debated the best ways to present things to patients, how much information to present....

Try the squeeze test a couple more times and if you get consistent results, then the area you have found is probably the right one. Do you get a sharp pain when you squeeze the inside of your heel? Any tingling or numbness? If we are thinking nerve entrapment, then a possiblity is entrapment of the medial calcaneal nerve. The medial calcaneal nerve is a branch off the posterior tibial nerve. It is a purely sensory nerve that gives sensation to the bottom of the heel.
Ed

wallyh on 9/13/01 at 22:08 (060250)

Ed,

After consistent squeezing tonight, the pain is on the inside around the edge of the heel very close to where the soft tissue begins. No numbness or tingling and the inside or center of the heel near where the facia connects has very little to no pain when I apply pressure. yesterday the doctor did put bery hard pressure with his thumb in the center of the heel and it hurt then, but not tonight. If you have anymore thoughts on this or info it would be appreciated, and I am thankful for your response and the time you took to answer my question.

Thanks again,
Wally