Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Reducing Swelling

Posted by John E on 9/14/01 at 07:28 (060282)

(I can't begin my minor complaint/question without first saying - we are all broken-hearted over what has happened in NY, DC, Pennsylvania. There is not a person in this country unaffected by this tragedy, those of us here on the East Coast very directly as we all have friends, acquaintances, neighbors, family, business contacts who were on or had family on the planes in the buildings in the service in the government etc. It is beyond my capability to express my sorrow over what has passed, and my sadness over what is to come.)

I am working with my new/first podiatrist for my ~1 month, and have very aggressively (based on mentality not level of physical activity) been trying to get rid of PF after 5 months. night splint every night for the last month, motrin 3x/day, crawl out of bed and fifteen minutes with tennis ball then fifteen minutes of stretching before my foot even touches the ground. Icing in the evening.

The good news is I am feeling better and my foot feels very loose, never tight. The bad news is my podiatrist continues to say it is too early for orthotics as my foot is still swollen, and the real healing can't occur until the swelling is further reduced.

I would like to ask you folks to share your experience in ways to (aggressively) reduce swelling as much as possible. My Pod hasn't emphasized icing more than one time in the evening, it seems to me maybe I need to step that up a bit. Any other ideas for reducing swelling? What experiences have you folks had in this area. Cortisone shot #2 (but better reasoned than #1) seems to be headed around the corner even though my Pod says he is very hesitant to go that route.

Peace,

John E.

Background - 6 months into PF caused by basketball injury and reinjured two motnhs later after cortisone shot. Not crippling but omnipresent pain, gradually reduced for a while then stabilized.

Re: Reducing Swelling

PatC on 9/14/01 at 08:03 (060283)

I too am having trouble with swelling. My foot problems, achilles tendonitis, heel spurs ect. have been going on since March. After 5 weeks in a cast, my Podiatrist told me to use ice twice a day, but I use it three times a day. I start physical therapy next week. The swelling is worse if I am on my feet too much. Yesterday I stayed in bed several hours and when I was up, kept my foot elevated. Swelling was minimal last night. I wish I could say the same for the pain as I was awake off and on last night with my ankle and heel throbbing. Try to stay off you feet as much as possible and use ice more often. I asked my podiatrist about orthotics, but he suggested arch supports made by Spenco. I haven't walked yet enought to try them.

JeanB on 9/14/01 at 18:26 (060376)

I posted this message two minutes ago, but my posting appears to have been mixed up with someone else's in cyberspace. So here goes again.
At night, just before bed, try icing your foot, then wrap foot and ankle with an ace bandage. Don't make too tight, but do encompass most of foot and ankle to provide compression that won't allow fluid to pool in the foot. Try to wrap so that ankle is dorsiflexed to 90 degrees. Sleep on back with foot propped on a pillow--sometimes I put the pillow under the foot and calf. Also try doing some stretching exercises, ankle pumps, circles, while lying on your back, with legs up in the air, using a theraband to help support the legs.

john h on 9/15/01 at 08:55 (060429)

john e: you might try some support stockings for swelling. They cost about $10 and are comfortable. They just could help with the swelling. This is a common practice for people with foot swelling regardless of cause.

PatC on 9/14/01 at 08:03 (060283)

I too am having trouble with swelling. My foot problems, achilles tendonitis, heel spurs ect. have been going on since March. After 5 weeks in a cast, my Podiatrist told me to use ice twice a day, but I use it three times a day. I start physical therapy next week. The swelling is worse if I am on my feet too much. Yesterday I stayed in bed several hours and when I was up, kept my foot elevated. Swelling was minimal last night. I wish I could say the same for the pain as I was awake off and on last night with my ankle and heel throbbing. Try to stay off you feet as much as possible and use ice more often. I asked my podiatrist about orthotics, but he suggested arch supports made by Spenco. I haven't walked yet enought to try them.

JeanB on 9/14/01 at 18:26 (060376)

I posted this message two minutes ago, but my posting appears to have been mixed up with someone else's in cyberspace. So here goes again.
At night, just before bed, try icing your foot, then wrap foot and ankle with an ace bandage. Don't make too tight, but do encompass most of foot and ankle to provide compression that won't allow fluid to pool in the foot. Try to wrap so that ankle is dorsiflexed to 90 degrees. Sleep on back with foot propped on a pillow--sometimes I put the pillow under the foot and calf. Also try doing some stretching exercises, ankle pumps, circles, while lying on your back, with legs up in the air, using a theraband to help support the legs.

john h on 9/15/01 at 08:55 (060429)

john e: you might try some support stockings for swelling. They cost about $10 and are comfortable. They just could help with the swelling. This is a common practice for people with foot swelling regardless of cause.