Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ed -looks like medial calcaneal nerve

Posted by wally h on 9/14/01 at 10:49 (060303)

Thanks again for your time. I finally was able to pull up the nerve chart and it looks like the medial calcaneal nerve is the one that is giving me trouble. Massage in this area gives relief for a while. If this is nerve entrapment what are possible therapies, non invasive and invasive; and is the inflammation of the fascia the primary cause of this problem? Thus far I have two shots of cortisone in May, which were administered to the center of the heel. I stretch, tape, and ice. I have lost 20lbs, and I exersize daily. I have been using orthotics for about 2 and one half months and they have been the most effective form of treatment for me. I hope this clarifies things a bit for you. This has been a difficult time with a difficult injury.

Thanks,
Wally

Re: ed -looks like medial calcaneal nerve

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/14/01 at 11:06 (060307)

Wally:

The shots you had were not aimed at the medial calcaneal nerve. The best treatment I have seen is 'chemical neurolysis.' That involves the injection of a small amount of absolute alcohol (4% solution) about the nerve on the inside of your heel. May take 2 to 5 injections spaced about a week apart. That results in 'deadening' of the nerve---not a big concern because it is a purely senory branch.
Ed

wallyh on 9/14/01 at 11:43 (060316)

Thanks Ed...now that I've calmed down a bit, and I can remember my doctor visit...{those times get a bit traumatic when an insurance company is breathing their fetid air down your neck}, I believe he suggested a few shots in that area. We're not talking about cortisone here, but alcohol, am I correct? Does this cure the condition or does it just offer relief?

Thank you so much,
Wally

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/01 at 02:35 (060543)

A sufficent number of shots may lead to a cure.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/14/01 at 11:06 (060307)

Wally:

The shots you had were not aimed at the medial calcaneal nerve. The best treatment I have seen is 'chemical neurolysis.' That involves the injection of a small amount of absolute alcohol (4% solution) about the nerve on the inside of your heel. May take 2 to 5 injections spaced about a week apart. That results in 'deadening' of the nerve---not a big concern because it is a purely senory branch.
Ed

wallyh on 9/14/01 at 11:43 (060316)

Thanks Ed...now that I've calmed down a bit, and I can remember my doctor visit...{those times get a bit traumatic when an insurance company is breathing their fetid air down your neck}, I believe he suggested a few shots in that area. We're not talking about cortisone here, but alcohol, am I correct? Does this cure the condition or does it just offer relief?

Thank you so much,
Wally

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/01 at 02:35 (060543)

A sufficent number of shots may lead to a cure.
Ed