Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ice or heat or moving after icing?

Posted by paula on 9/14/01 at 19:59 (060389)

so everything i read tells me i should ice my achilles tendonitis and posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. and then i should rest it. when i want to move or exercise again i should warm it up. but when it is cold or cool that is when it feels great to move. wehn it is warm it feels lousy to move. what to do?

Re: ice or heat or moving after icing?

john h on 9/15/01 at 08:52 (060428)

paula: when i was treated for achillies tendonitis by a Physical Thearapist. This was the routine. Start with the whrilpool to loosen up the muscles and tendons. Then a very very strong message of the tendon (so much so it hurt like the devil). After that they would have me stretch on an incline board and then ice for about 20 minutes. After about 3 weeks my very very bad tendonitis begin to subdue and within a month i could run.

Re: What is an incline board?

Beverly on 9/15/01 at 12:26 (060460)

John,

I have achilles tendonitis along with PF. What is an incline board?
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:37 (060476)

Bev: Scott sells them and you will find them at many clubs and most physical thearapy clinics. Basically they are a block of wood or plastic with a place to place your foot on at about a 45 degree angle and do a controlled stretch of you achilles and calf muscles (julie can lay the real names of those muscles on you i cannot). They are varied opinions on these stretching devices but since you can control the stretch and they are inexpensive and easy to use i personally have no problem using one.

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:41 (060478)

reread my post bev on achilles tendonitis. my case was horrible. i had a knot form on the tendon on the back of my ankle the size of a walnut. it was painful with each and every step. i had a very strong guy who really worked on it hard each day and it really hurt. the only reason i did not yell was because of all the girls around! The massage,heat,whirpool,ice,and iono-----whatever they call it really worked for me and within a month i was back to jogging.

Beverly on 9/17/01 at 18:31 (060778)

John,

Thanks for the info. My AT is not as bad as what you describe, but it is a lingering, nagging problem that aggrevates the PF. I think they feed into each other.
I will ask my ortho doc about using an incline board next time I see him.
Lately, he has been strict on what stretching he deems ok and not ok for me. But since as you say you can adjust the level, it sounds like something worth investigating. (Way back there in the beginning PT tried something similar with me hanging off edge of book and that did not agree with me.)
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 9/17/01 at 18:48 (060782)

Bev my personal experience with hanging off a step with your toes on the step was not very good. i have seen many most from those who think this is not a good thing to do. with the incline board your foot is solid against a piece of wood or plastic and you have complete control of your stretch by just how much you chose to bend. take a look a scotts products. seems to me he has a plastic one he sells.

Re: ice or heat or moving after icing?

john h on 9/15/01 at 08:52 (060428)

paula: when i was treated for achillies tendonitis by a Physical Thearapist. This was the routine. Start with the whrilpool to loosen up the muscles and tendons. Then a very very strong message of the tendon (so much so it hurt like the devil). After that they would have me stretch on an incline board and then ice for about 20 minutes. After about 3 weeks my very very bad tendonitis begin to subdue and within a month i could run.

Beverly on 9/15/01 at 12:26 (060460)

John,

I have achilles tendonitis along with PF. What is an incline board?
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:37 (060476)

Bev: Scott sells them and you will find them at many clubs and most physical thearapy clinics. Basically they are a block of wood or plastic with a place to place your foot on at about a 45 degree angle and do a controlled stretch of you achilles and calf muscles (julie can lay the real names of those muscles on you i cannot). They are varied opinions on these stretching devices but since you can control the stretch and they are inexpensive and easy to use i personally have no problem using one.

john h on 9/15/01 at 15:41 (060478)

reread my post bev on achilles tendonitis. my case was horrible. i had a knot form on the tendon on the back of my ankle the size of a walnut. it was painful with each and every step. i had a very strong guy who really worked on it hard each day and it really hurt. the only reason i did not yell was because of all the girls around! The massage,heat,whirpool,ice,and iono-----whatever they call it really worked for me and within a month i was back to jogging.

Beverly on 9/17/01 at 18:31 (060778)

John,

Thanks for the info. My AT is not as bad as what you describe, but it is a lingering, nagging problem that aggrevates the PF. I think they feed into each other.
I will ask my ortho doc about using an incline board next time I see him.
Lately, he has been strict on what stretching he deems ok and not ok for me. But since as you say you can adjust the level, it sounds like something worth investigating. (Way back there in the beginning PT tried something similar with me hanging off edge of book and that did not agree with me.)
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 9/17/01 at 18:48 (060782)

Bev my personal experience with hanging off a step with your toes on the step was not very good. i have seen many most from those who think this is not a good thing to do. with the incline board your foot is solid against a piece of wood or plastic and you have complete control of your stretch by just how much you chose to bend. take a look a scotts products. seems to me he has a plastic one he sells.