Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

dr. davis your opinion on tingling nerve

Posted by kelly on 9/16/01 at 09:36 (060566)

i had my surgery done 9 months ago. i have a lot of tingling in my ankle. when i get the tingling then i get pain especially in my arch and even on the outside of my foot. when i do anything like steps that seems to pull in there or even to just rub lightly over my ankle it makes it tingle. my doctor tells me that the nerve is trying to come alive. should my foot be better or how long can it take to get better and is it trying to come alive? would really like your opinion. i am new here.

Re: dr. davis your opinion on tingling nerve

elliott on 9/17/01 at 13:34 (060736)

While you're waiting for Dr. Davis to respond, I hope you don't mind my thoughts. (I had tingling in one foot, burning and numbness in the other, bilateral TTS release, bilateral complications.)

You don't say if your symptoms were the same pre-op as post-op. If different, please state what they were before.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't buy your doctor's 'nerve trying to come alive' line 9 months along. While it is true that patients can show improvement commonly up to a year later and less commonly up to two years later, typically this is more or less continual improvement (with maybe a few bumps along the way) and not a sudden change. In a successful surgery one should feel substantial relief certainly within a month or two at most, and that's when you'd most experience the 'nerve coming alive' thing, which typically would be in the form of brief shooting pain at ankle possibly sparking into toes, which is a sign of healing, or, if you like, the nerve coming alive. Maybe Dr. Davis will have more positive things to say. Hope things work out.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/01 at 15:28 (060756)

Kelly:

Was the surgery you mention TTS surgery?
Aside from the tingling, how would you assess the effects of the surgery?
Ed

kelly on 9/18/01 at 16:49 (060886)

yes i had tts surgery 9 months ago. i have more feeling on the bottom of my foot. i still get pain in my ankle, arch and on the outside of my foot. i have pain across my hips. i know some of this is coming from my other foot which also has tts. if i work my toes it goes right to my ankle and makes it tingle and the more it tingles the more it makes my foot hurt, so i don't work my toes. i did not have therapy and i am on neurontin and arthrotech. i am wondering if i have any chance of this getting better.

elliott on 9/17/01 at 13:34 (060736)

While you're waiting for Dr. Davis to respond, I hope you don't mind my thoughts. (I had tingling in one foot, burning and numbness in the other, bilateral TTS release, bilateral complications.)

You don't say if your symptoms were the same pre-op as post-op. If different, please state what they were before.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't buy your doctor's 'nerve trying to come alive' line 9 months along. While it is true that patients can show improvement commonly up to a year later and less commonly up to two years later, typically this is more or less continual improvement (with maybe a few bumps along the way) and not a sudden change. In a successful surgery one should feel substantial relief certainly within a month or two at most, and that's when you'd most experience the 'nerve coming alive' thing, which typically would be in the form of brief shooting pain at ankle possibly sparking into toes, which is a sign of healing, or, if you like, the nerve coming alive. Maybe Dr. Davis will have more positive things to say. Hope things work out.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/01 at 15:28 (060756)

Kelly:

Was the surgery you mention TTS surgery?
Aside from the tingling, how would you assess the effects of the surgery?
Ed

kelly on 9/18/01 at 16:49 (060886)

yes i had tts surgery 9 months ago. i have more feeling on the bottom of my foot. i still get pain in my ankle, arch and on the outside of my foot. i have pain across my hips. i know some of this is coming from my other foot which also has tts. if i work my toes it goes right to my ankle and makes it tingle and the more it tingles the more it makes my foot hurt, so i don't work my toes. i did not have therapy and i am on neurontin and arthrotech. i am wondering if i have any chance of this getting better.