Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Jade Update... anyone?

Posted by Valerie S on 9/16/01 at 23:31 (060661)

Hi.
I have been using the Jade Balm for 3 months, under the Jade Trial, compliments of Dr. Reynolds. It took a few weeks, but I really got some relief during the next several weeks. My pain level went from around a 7 on a bad day to around a 2 (usually lower). But I have not gone any further in the last 4 weeks or so. My pain level is low enough now, I almost feel like a normal person... unless I walk.

I have not been able to increase my activity level at all. I can walk for a little while, and don't limp nearly like I did. The getting up from resting pain is much lighter and less stiff, but my pain after a few minutes on my feet (standing) is now in the center of my heels. I don't have as much arch or insertion-point pain as before, but my heels ... back to the sharp rocks under my heels.

I am not giving up on the Jade Balm. I continue to use it before I get up, when I go to bed, and usually once in the middle of the day. I am hoping this is just a small setback, but have been having increased pain in my heels again... maybe I have been increasing my activity level without realizing it, but I don't think so. All it takes is a trip to Walmart to start everything back up.

I really feel bad for complaining, since I have had much relief. I am just worried and don't want to slide backwards again. Just wondering if anyone else has had lasting relief or would like to make any comments. I am still hoping that I will be one who is a success story... someday, somehow.

Thanks...Val.

Re: Jade Update... anyone?

nancy s. on 9/16/01 at 23:43 (060663)

val, you've made so much progress in a relatively short time. please don't be discouraged by the inevitable plateaus or short-term setbacks, which is what i think you're experiencing now. it's normal -- not fun, but normal. keep doing what you've been doing: taking good care of your feet and testing your progress cautiously. you'll move ahead some more with time and patience. you're on a good track.
nancy

Re: Why does this have to take SO LONG?

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 08:02 (060675)

Don't mean to whine... just celebrated one year with PF, still waiting. I feel like I have become a different person. I will survive this; hopefully we all will.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know where I would be without the wonderful people here.

Val.

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 08:43 (060680)

Valerie,
I share your ups and downs. My pain level since using the stuff has dropped considerably. I continue doing all the other things, especially stretching. Since using it, I've had two flare ups which I e-mailed Dr. Reynolds about. One was when I was pretty sick with an infection and now again since the terror attack. I've been loging everything since this bout started in April 2000. I never had a lot of pain in my heels, my arches cause the most problems. On most days now, I have no pain in my right foot at all, but my left is usually about a 1-2, but not these past few days. I just keep rubbing the stuff in and praying the bad pain never returns. I am able to walk and shop. I do no running. My x-rays
never showed any spurs so maybe that's why I never had heel pain. I don't know. I tell you I tried just about everything to treat this P.F. short of ESWT and Surgery. When I found out about this I tried it too. So far so good. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to discontinue it for fear the big pain may return. I've not stopped using it since I started.

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 09:15 (060684)

Hi Pauline.

Thanks for your response. It soundsl like we have had similar experience... hmmmm...

Interesting that you had a flareup when you had an infection. I do have spurs, but my pain is worse in my right while the spur is much larger in my left heel. So, I continue to rub it in and hope.

Thanks for your input. Maybe the attack is contributor too. I read someone else saying their feet didn't even hurt because they were so upset by this tragedy, and I felt guilty because I am once again complaining. I have that initial getting up after sitting pain again, and have a hard time with those first few steps and notice that I feel hot and stiff a lot more.

Val.

john h on 9/17/01 at 16:44 (060770)

i am about out of my Jade. I started using it about a week after my 3rd ESWT treatment with Dr. Z. There has been a dramatic improvement in my feet (both) after 8 years. My gut tells me the 3 ESWT treatments along with birks and ice have been the keys to my improvement but just in case i will order me another tube of Jade. I think Scott said it once and if he did not I will say i am cured the day I can run a 5K race with 8 minute mile pace. If i can never do that i will happily accept my current pain level of 1 and my walks, biking, and weights. I shall continue to seek further improvement. Dr Z has said there is really no limit to when an ESWT treatment might be the one that does the trick and i agree with him. I am now well into the 2nd month of very much reduced pain.

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 9/17/01 at 18:36 (060780)

John, sorry about the Jade running out, but there must be some misunderstanding here which I would like to clear up for other Jade trial participants as well as yourself. Because there was quite a variability in the amount of Jade used, I asked those who wanted to continue the trial for another 3 months to let me know when their supply was down to half a tube. This gives me ample time to send another tube to everyone before it runs out. We'll send you another today.
Kind regards, Chris Reynolds.

Re: Dr Reynolds/Question

john h on 9/17/01 at 18:50 (060783)

thanks dr reynolds i much appreciate that. have you any experience with jade on arthritic fingers? my wife has arthriits in her fingers?

nancy s. on 9/16/01 at 23:43 (060663)

val, you've made so much progress in a relatively short time. please don't be discouraged by the inevitable plateaus or short-term setbacks, which is what i think you're experiencing now. it's normal -- not fun, but normal. keep doing what you've been doing: taking good care of your feet and testing your progress cautiously. you'll move ahead some more with time and patience. you're on a good track.
nancy

Re: Why does this have to take SO LONG?

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 08:02 (060675)

Don't mean to whine... just celebrated one year with PF, still waiting. I feel like I have become a different person. I will survive this; hopefully we all will.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know where I would be without the wonderful people here.

Val.

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 08:43 (060680)

Valerie,
I share your ups and downs. My pain level since using the stuff has dropped considerably. I continue doing all the other things, especially stretching. Since using it, I've had two flare ups which I e-mailed Dr. Reynolds about. One was when I was pretty sick with an infection and now again since the terror attack. I've been loging everything since this bout started in April 2000. I never had a lot of pain in my heels, my arches cause the most problems. On most days now, I have no pain in my right foot at all, but my left is usually about a 1-2, but not these past few days. I just keep rubbing the stuff in and praying the bad pain never returns. I am able to walk and shop. I do no running. My x-rays
never showed any spurs so maybe that's why I never had heel pain. I don't know. I tell you I tried just about everything to treat this P.F. short of ESWT and Surgery. When I found out about this I tried it too. So far so good. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to discontinue it for fear the big pain may return. I've not stopped using it since I started.

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 09:15 (060684)

Hi Pauline.

Thanks for your response. It soundsl like we have had similar experience... hmmmm...

Interesting that you had a flareup when you had an infection. I do have spurs, but my pain is worse in my right while the spur is much larger in my left heel. So, I continue to rub it in and hope.

Thanks for your input. Maybe the attack is contributor too. I read someone else saying their feet didn't even hurt because they were so upset by this tragedy, and I felt guilty because I am once again complaining. I have that initial getting up after sitting pain again, and have a hard time with those first few steps and notice that I feel hot and stiff a lot more.

Val.

john h on 9/17/01 at 16:44 (060770)

i am about out of my Jade. I started using it about a week after my 3rd ESWT treatment with Dr. Z. There has been a dramatic improvement in my feet (both) after 8 years. My gut tells me the 3 ESWT treatments along with birks and ice have been the keys to my improvement but just in case i will order me another tube of Jade. I think Scott said it once and if he did not I will say i am cured the day I can run a 5K race with 8 minute mile pace. If i can never do that i will happily accept my current pain level of 1 and my walks, biking, and weights. I shall continue to seek further improvement. Dr Z has said there is really no limit to when an ESWT treatment might be the one that does the trick and i agree with him. I am now well into the 2nd month of very much reduced pain.

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 9/17/01 at 18:36 (060780)

John, sorry about the Jade running out, but there must be some misunderstanding here which I would like to clear up for other Jade trial participants as well as yourself. Because there was quite a variability in the amount of Jade used, I asked those who wanted to continue the trial for another 3 months to let me know when their supply was down to half a tube. This gives me ample time to send another tube to everyone before it runs out. We'll send you another today.
Kind regards, Chris Reynolds.

Re: Dr Reynolds/Question

john h on 9/17/01 at 18:50 (060783)

thanks dr reynolds i much appreciate that. have you any experience with jade on arthritic fingers? my wife has arthriits in her fingers?