Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

In Office Foot Surgery

Posted by Lisa C on 9/17/01 at 02:05 (060668)

Has anyone ever heard of an in office foot surgery for PF? The Dr. makes a tiny cut in the inside of the foot and snips 1/4 inch of the fashia. The fashia is allowed to lenghten, taking the pressure and pull off the inflammed area enabling it to heal. Eventually the 1/4 inch snipped area fills in. It reminds me of the time I snipped the waist of my maternity pantyhose because they were too tight, it helped and they were looser. Has anyone else heard of this? One foot at a time and you walk out of the ofice. It sounds like it would have to be done 'blind'. Haven't I read that the side of the foot has alot of nerves and'stuff' in the way of the fashia?

Re: In Office Foot Surgery

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 09:02 (060683)

Lisa,
I wish Brian would chime in on your question. I believe he has had this 'Blind' surgery and he is not out of pain yet. I'm sure there are others who might say it was the best thing they did. I wouldn't exactly believe the snip, snip walk out the door story, because from what I've seen posted over the last year, especially on the surgery board, it ain't exectly true.

All surgery carries risk and the chance of complications. If you are a candidate you should consider trying ESWT before you hand over your feet for surgery. My opinion you can always have surgery, but no one will guarantee you'll be pain free afterwards, so try all your other options first. Brian are you out there?

Tammie on 9/17/01 at 10:05 (060693)

Lisa, I had the side incision also but was not in office it was outpatient surgery and well maybe there are amny different ways to do this,I to am worried about what u precieve of this minamal procedure? I dont think it is so easy maybe to do but nnot the recovery. It is a long recovery with the chances of a good outcome but also the chances of more troubles or worse yet life of pain and worse. I am not one to say dont do it as I myself have done the surgery route I had this done in April , I am still home not able to work but then it is not fair of me to say that i had other problems going on also and recently had a second surgery 2 weeks ago.I believe the pf release for me went ok, I had instant relief of the pulled sensation if u understand what i am saying and weeks later i was happy to say I could walk on my heel which before I could not! Now if i hadnt had thease extra things going on maybe i could have said i was very happy with results or maybe after this recent surgery is healed I will say this I do not know it is indeed a risk and a chance u take as with any surgery. I am neither pro surgery or against , Ithink all options that u can do without is the best start and if u have done all that u feel u can do then it is certainly your right to think about thease methods. The only thing that i might add is please dont go into it blind talk read and find out how your Dr. does things and find out all that u can and be well informed before a decision! There is the ESWT proc. I would check into this also read up on it and ask questions as they do not cut u and if it does not work there is always the option of surgery still, unfortuantly many insurances will not cover this and that is sad but it should be looked at as it seems as tho if it works why let them cut into u and take the risks that u take in a surgery. I am very concerned he says u can have surgery and walk out that day ? I could not walk out on my foot it was in a air cast and I used crutches but maybe if I hadnt had a anesthesia? I dont want to say it is not possible? I am not a Dr. with expierance. Please ask the Dr.s here they are good with giving there advice and it is another opioion also! Love and hugs to u thru the search it is long and tiring!Hang in there

Re: Try ESWT first

BrianG on 9/17/01 at 10:56 (060709)

I did have the EPF surgery, and it's not exactlly a 'blind' procedure. Two incisions are made, on either side of the ankle. Once the incision is made, the doctor inserts a fiber optic camera, which will show a picture on a monitor the doctor is looking at. He then goes in through the same incision and cuts the fascia, all the while looking at it on the camera. They can also file down a spur, but I didn't have one.

My procedure was a failure. When I asked my last Podiatrist why? She told me that the camera is very limited in what it can see. Sure, it can see part of the fascia, but how much? That is the big question. The doctors who perform the procedure claim they can see enough to correctly cut the fascia. In my own case, not enough of the fascia was cut. So, what does that tell me? Either my doctor was incompetent, or the procedure is flawed. Take your pick. Just remember your talking to someone who had a failure. Someone else might tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

BCG

Re: Re:I Really Would Try ESWT First!!

Lisa C on 9/17/01 at 13:16 (060731)

I am NOT considering this procedure and I would have ESWT first. This was presented to me in such a casual fashion like trimming your nails. There is only one incision, that is why said it must be blind. No anesthesiaologist (sp?), just a shot in the foot I beleive. Very simple in office procedure. I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this. I have not read about it here. Supposed to have great sucess rates. One lady had one foot done and came back 2 weeks later and had the other done. Is this brand new? If I ever get to the cutting stage, I want a sterile surgery room! I am still at the consertvative treatment stage. I have not given taping a fair go yet! My 1st pod suggested taking vioxx or other similar med even every other day. Anti imflams have side effects for me. If I could take them every other day would that do ANY good? Or are they like antibiotics and need to have a constant dose in the body to do any good?

tammie on 9/17/01 at 13:40 (060737)

I am so glad I was scared for u a min. Lol I am sorry sometimes so many people hard to remember who is who! Interesting tho wondering what docs here will have to say about this type of surgery? I am sorry i dont fel comfortable with answering about the anti inflams, hope a doc will help u on this to! I hope u have success in the foot business (smile)

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/01 at 15:18 (060753)

Lisa:
Are you sure that your doc discussed cutting 1/4 of the fascia as opposed to 3/4? This type of surgery could be done in the office but, as discussed throughout this web site, we view surgery as a last resort.
Ed

Re: To Lisa In Office Foot Surgery

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 17:06 (060772)

Lisa,
Here is a site that compares 3 different types of P.F. and heelspur surgery. I think it's good information.
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/archive/pod_200010/pod_200010f2.html

Gail on 9/17/01 at 19:03 (060786)

I agree, it isn't something you can normally walk out of the office afterwards. I had it done as outpatient also with great results. I just wish someone could shed some light on the probelm I have now.

Good Luck to you!

Re: In Office Foot Surgery Reply To **Dr. DAVIS**

Lisa C on 9/18/01 at 04:37 (060829)

I might have mis-typed. I meant 1/4 inch. He showed me by making a pen mark on a plastic foot model on the fashia. You can walk out after. I am just interested in why I haven't heard about it here. I'm curious if anyone else has had this done or offered to them. I can't seem to get enough foot knowledge. I want to know about it all. Any feedback might influence my confidence in other suggestions by this Dr. I'm not going to do it. Scary though, before this site I very easily might have said ok to such a promising 'simple plan'. One last comment Dr. Davis?

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 14:00 (060865)

Lisa,
Here is another site you may want to look at before you consider surgery.
http://www.footlaw.com/news/heel-pain.html .

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/18/01 at 14:33 (060869)

Lisa:

He may be using a quarter inch incision but cutting only 1/4 inch of the fascia would not release enough of the fascia to be effective. Again, that is something you need to clarify with him. Study this site, especially Scott's heel pain book to make sure you have had all the necessary conservative modalities first.
Ed

Re: Beware of the complications alone!

Paula on 9/21/01 at 18:08 (061202)

I would beware of office surgery like that. Ijust had my surgery last Friday and was in surgery 45 minutes! Granted some of the time was used for preparation and getting me to sleep,but in the hospital they have all the emergency equipment, and personnel. What if you have a reaction in the office and go into cardiac arrest or something? I am very leary of something like that.
You want a doctor to take their time and do it right. Yes, there are lots of nerves and this operation can be botched easy enough.
Please, be careful. I felt more comfortable being in a sterile environment and having nurses and doctors around me when I was asleep.

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 09:02 (060683)

Lisa,
I wish Brian would chime in on your question. I believe he has had this 'Blind' surgery and he is not out of pain yet. I'm sure there are others who might say it was the best thing they did. I wouldn't exactly believe the snip, snip walk out the door story, because from what I've seen posted over the last year, especially on the surgery board, it ain't exectly true.

All surgery carries risk and the chance of complications. If you are a candidate you should consider trying ESWT before you hand over your feet for surgery. My opinion you can always have surgery, but no one will guarantee you'll be pain free afterwards, so try all your other options first. Brian are you out there?

Tammie on 9/17/01 at 10:05 (060693)

Lisa, I had the side incision also but was not in office it was outpatient surgery and well maybe there are amny different ways to do this,I to am worried about what u precieve of this minamal procedure? I dont think it is so easy maybe to do but nnot the recovery. It is a long recovery with the chances of a good outcome but also the chances of more troubles or worse yet life of pain and worse. I am not one to say dont do it as I myself have done the surgery route I had this done in April , I am still home not able to work but then it is not fair of me to say that i had other problems going on also and recently had a second surgery 2 weeks ago.I believe the pf release for me went ok, I had instant relief of the pulled sensation if u understand what i am saying and weeks later i was happy to say I could walk on my heel which before I could not! Now if i hadnt had thease extra things going on maybe i could have said i was very happy with results or maybe after this recent surgery is healed I will say this I do not know it is indeed a risk and a chance u take as with any surgery. I am neither pro surgery or against , Ithink all options that u can do without is the best start and if u have done all that u feel u can do then it is certainly your right to think about thease methods. The only thing that i might add is please dont go into it blind talk read and find out how your Dr. does things and find out all that u can and be well informed before a decision! There is the ESWT proc. I would check into this also read up on it and ask questions as they do not cut u and if it does not work there is always the option of surgery still, unfortuantly many insurances will not cover this and that is sad but it should be looked at as it seems as tho if it works why let them cut into u and take the risks that u take in a surgery. I am very concerned he says u can have surgery and walk out that day ? I could not walk out on my foot it was in a air cast and I used crutches but maybe if I hadnt had a anesthesia? I dont want to say it is not possible? I am not a Dr. with expierance. Please ask the Dr.s here they are good with giving there advice and it is another opioion also! Love and hugs to u thru the search it is long and tiring!Hang in there

Re: Try ESWT first

BrianG on 9/17/01 at 10:56 (060709)

I did have the EPF surgery, and it's not exactlly a 'blind' procedure. Two incisions are made, on either side of the ankle. Once the incision is made, the doctor inserts a fiber optic camera, which will show a picture on a monitor the doctor is looking at. He then goes in through the same incision and cuts the fascia, all the while looking at it on the camera. They can also file down a spur, but I didn't have one.

My procedure was a failure. When I asked my last Podiatrist why? She told me that the camera is very limited in what it can see. Sure, it can see part of the fascia, but how much? That is the big question. The doctors who perform the procedure claim they can see enough to correctly cut the fascia. In my own case, not enough of the fascia was cut. So, what does that tell me? Either my doctor was incompetent, or the procedure is flawed. Take your pick. Just remember your talking to someone who had a failure. Someone else might tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

BCG

Lisa C on 9/17/01 at 13:16 (060731)

I am NOT considering this procedure and I would have ESWT first. This was presented to me in such a casual fashion like trimming your nails. There is only one incision, that is why said it must be blind. No anesthesiaologist (sp?), just a shot in the foot I beleive. Very simple in office procedure. I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this. I have not read about it here. Supposed to have great sucess rates. One lady had one foot done and came back 2 weeks later and had the other done. Is this brand new? If I ever get to the cutting stage, I want a sterile surgery room! I am still at the consertvative treatment stage. I have not given taping a fair go yet! My 1st pod suggested taking vioxx or other similar med even every other day. Anti imflams have side effects for me. If I could take them every other day would that do ANY good? Or are they like antibiotics and need to have a constant dose in the body to do any good?

tammie on 9/17/01 at 13:40 (060737)

I am so glad I was scared for u a min. Lol I am sorry sometimes so many people hard to remember who is who! Interesting tho wondering what docs here will have to say about this type of surgery? I am sorry i dont fel comfortable with answering about the anti inflams, hope a doc will help u on this to! I hope u have success in the foot business (smile)

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/01 at 15:18 (060753)

Lisa:
Are you sure that your doc discussed cutting 1/4 of the fascia as opposed to 3/4? This type of surgery could be done in the office but, as discussed throughout this web site, we view surgery as a last resort.
Ed

Re: To Lisa In Office Foot Surgery

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 17:06 (060772)

Lisa,
Here is a site that compares 3 different types of P.F. and heelspur surgery. I think it's good information.
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/archive/pod_200010/pod_200010f2.html

Gail on 9/17/01 at 19:03 (060786)

I agree, it isn't something you can normally walk out of the office afterwards. I had it done as outpatient also with great results. I just wish someone could shed some light on the probelm I have now.

Good Luck to you!

Lisa C on 9/18/01 at 04:37 (060829)

I might have mis-typed. I meant 1/4 inch. He showed me by making a pen mark on a plastic foot model on the fashia. You can walk out after. I am just interested in why I haven't heard about it here. I'm curious if anyone else has had this done or offered to them. I can't seem to get enough foot knowledge. I want to know about it all. Any feedback might influence my confidence in other suggestions by this Dr. I'm not going to do it. Scary though, before this site I very easily might have said ok to such a promising 'simple plan'. One last comment Dr. Davis?

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 14:00 (060865)

Lisa,
Here is another site you may want to look at before you consider surgery.
http://www.footlaw.com/news/heel-pain.html .

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/18/01 at 14:33 (060869)

Lisa:

He may be using a quarter inch incision but cutting only 1/4 inch of the fascia would not release enough of the fascia to be effective. Again, that is something you need to clarify with him. Study this site, especially Scott's heel pain book to make sure you have had all the necessary conservative modalities first.
Ed

Re: Beware of the complications alone!

Paula on 9/21/01 at 18:08 (061202)

I would beware of office surgery like that. Ijust had my surgery last Friday and was in surgery 45 minutes! Granted some of the time was used for preparation and getting me to sleep,but in the hospital they have all the emergency equipment, and personnel. What if you have a reaction in the office and go into cardiac arrest or something? I am very leary of something like that.
You want a doctor to take their time and do it right. Yes, there are lots of nerves and this operation can be botched easy enough.
Please, be careful. I felt more comfortable being in a sterile environment and having nurses and doctors around me when I was asleep.