Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody tried rolling a golf ball under a heal?

Posted by vincent c on 9/17/01 at 07:52 (060674)

I've trying this for a while, and it seems to relieve the pain. I got this advise from somebody who got it from somebody else...

Re: Anybody tried rolling a golf ball under a heal?

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 10:27 (060702)

Hi Vince.
Never tried a golf ball... a tennis ball under the arch works well for me.

My doc also told me to fill a 2 liter bottle with water and freeze it; sometimes I roll my foot over that too... ice and massage at the same time.

I think the massaging helps loosen things up and helps to keep scar tissue from forming too. I am not a doctor, but this is my experience.

Val.

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 14:40 (060743)

Hi Vincent,
I think I have rolled just about everything under my feet from marbles
to frozen juice cans. Even used frozen radishes before the marbles. What ever I though might bring some relief. I particularly like the frozen coke bottles. I took these on the plane with me when I flew. I don't know about now if you could get them through security. I always travel with cans of tennis balls as well. When I used the tennis ball or golf balls they seemed to provide what I would term a 'good type of pain' I think those of us that have had P.F. for a long time use this term because even though the balls hurt, they provided a different sort of pain that relieved the regular pain. I think you got to try this to really understand it.

My physical therapist suggested the tennis and golf balls back in '93 and I've used them often. Watch out if you have a dog though they usually love those tennis balls. My motto, try just about anything if you think it might help except surgery but I'd forget about frozen radishes.

Pamela on 9/18/01 at 13:53 (060862)

Yes - it was the at the advice of my podiatrist. The purpose was to break up adhesions in the heel. It has helped tremendously. After a while you should get to the point where you really push hard - you'll hear crunching. The golf ball has those little dips, and is rougher than a tennis ball, and it really helps to break up scar tissue. The tennis ball is also good - it's more for stretching muscles. I do both.

Donna M on 9/18/01 at 20:59 (060903)

Pamela, I think if I were to hear a crunching sound coming from my foot I would probably get sick!! lol
I understand what you are saying, but that was my first thought when I read that!! :)

Vincent C on 9/20/01 at 07:58 (061039)

G'day Pauline
thanks for your reply. This makes me feel an awful lot better, at least I know that I am doing something theraputic (as opposed to driving my wife nuts)
cheers
Vincent

Vincent C on 9/20/01 at 08:07 (061041)

ARGHH!!!...crunching geez, yes I do hear/feel them, and I seem to try to find 'sorebits' around the heal to roll on. Feels great and it seems to help.

Cheers
Vince

Valerie S on 9/17/01 at 10:27 (060702)

Hi Vince.
Never tried a golf ball... a tennis ball under the arch works well for me.

My doc also told me to fill a 2 liter bottle with water and freeze it; sometimes I roll my foot over that too... ice and massage at the same time.

I think the massaging helps loosen things up and helps to keep scar tissue from forming too. I am not a doctor, but this is my experience.

Val.

Pauline on 9/17/01 at 14:40 (060743)

Hi Vincent,
I think I have rolled just about everything under my feet from marbles
to frozen juice cans. Even used frozen radishes before the marbles. What ever I though might bring some relief. I particularly like the frozen coke bottles. I took these on the plane with me when I flew. I don't know about now if you could get them through security. I always travel with cans of tennis balls as well. When I used the tennis ball or golf balls they seemed to provide what I would term a 'good type of pain' I think those of us that have had P.F. for a long time use this term because even though the balls hurt, they provided a different sort of pain that relieved the regular pain. I think you got to try this to really understand it.

My physical therapist suggested the tennis and golf balls back in '93 and I've used them often. Watch out if you have a dog though they usually love those tennis balls. My motto, try just about anything if you think it might help except surgery but I'd forget about frozen radishes.

Pamela on 9/18/01 at 13:53 (060862)

Yes - it was the at the advice of my podiatrist. The purpose was to break up adhesions in the heel. It has helped tremendously. After a while you should get to the point where you really push hard - you'll hear crunching. The golf ball has those little dips, and is rougher than a tennis ball, and it really helps to break up scar tissue. The tennis ball is also good - it's more for stretching muscles. I do both.

Donna M on 9/18/01 at 20:59 (060903)

Pamela, I think if I were to hear a crunching sound coming from my foot I would probably get sick!! lol
I understand what you are saying, but that was my first thought when I read that!! :)

Vincent C on 9/20/01 at 07:58 (061039)

G'day Pauline
thanks for your reply. This makes me feel an awful lot better, at least I know that I am doing something theraputic (as opposed to driving my wife nuts)
cheers
Vincent

Vincent C on 9/20/01 at 08:07 (061041)

ARGHH!!!...crunching geez, yes I do hear/feel them, and I seem to try to find 'sorebits' around the heal to roll on. Feels great and it seems to help.

Cheers
Vince