Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie where ya at? Glenn you around?

Posted by Carmen H on 9/17/01 at 15:03 (060749)

Julie~

Where ya been? I haven't seen much posting by you guys lately! Or am I being a board hog and not giving anyone any room to post?!!
Just wondering where you two have gone...

Re: Julie where ya at? Glenn you around?

Glenn X on 9/19/01 at 10:47 (060936)

Carmen: Saddened, distracted, making progress. Thanks for asking. You sound good.

Just read a part of the discussion leading to Dr. Ed's decision to limit his heelspurs involvement. I've learned nearly as much from him here on this board as I have being his patient.

But I understand fully. In the context of this litigous, it's-not-my-fault / not-my-responsibility society we've sunk to, I've occasionally wondered at my own remote risks in making pointed suggestions, and in fact try and couch any thoughts in the context of, 'this is what I do.' Also, being a rank amateur, I've felt little 'professional' vulnerability. But Ed being a doctor . . . his risks are real.

How awful it must feel to be stifled from giving comfort with mere words. This is what a loss of free speech feels like.

And is yet one more example of what a miserable mess our health-care and associated insurance and legal systems are in.

Re: YEA!!! Glenn's back

CArmen on 9/19/01 at 11:24 (060940)

Good to hear from you! I was starting to worry.
I am okay day by day you know....I have a lot more knowledge about my situation now than I ever thought possible. ASK me a question about the Ischial and gluteal area and I can probably give you an answer! I was fortunate enough to have an actual Orthopedic Surgeon call me back last night (my husbands Dad's old friend from high school)and he talked to me about all of my symptoms (back, hamstrings, glutes, feet) and walked me through my history and my current situation and deducts from the reports I read him, (mris, xrays etc) that I have a lumbrosacral disk problem (I thought so) and that my feet are being affected by this. It's bilateral and he says it makes NO sense to him that I would be diagnosed with PF with the symptoms I explained to him. Long story...anyway I was pretty excited when he was referring to areas in the back (coccyx, sacrum, L1-L5 etc etc) and I was able to say 'Yes I know that area. Go on...' and could have an educated discussion with him!
He restored a tiny bit of my faith in the medical professionals. Took his own personal time to call me. Much like the Dr.'s here....
So I HATE that Dr. Ed is gone.....BUT understand his need to protect himself and can fully appreciate his decision. I have his email so I can keep in touch.
His opinion is valued. But as I said 'WE ' are responsible for what we listen to and what advice we heed....so anyone not seeking a dr.s care outside of the internet needs more help in then foot help.
IN MY opinion.
Anyway glad you are poking right along. Are you more mobile now? How's the pain?
Glad you visited for a minute too....

Re: Liability

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:14 (060954)

Glenn X: i have always wonderd how the doctors would expose to liabilities by helping us? I think any case ever brought in a court based on a person using info on the internet would ultimately thrown out of any court. Having said that 'I, John H do notify anyone using any of my suggestions do so at their own risk and peril. I am nota Doctor or medical professional of any sorts and any advice I offer is based on personal experience and information gathered from other non-professionals,publications and my own doctors'. So there is my disclaimer which is worthless. I recommend a Molson for many problems and a Beefeater martini, stirred not shaken, with olive, for more serious promblems.

John h on 9/19/01 at 13:15 (060955)

Dr Ed: You surely can continue with your history lessons. You have enlightend me on many subjects of which i have great interest.

Re: John

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 13:53 (060961)

Is misspelling Problems considered a serious problem? If so I think you deserve a Martini!!! Woo hooooo! Yee hawww!~

john h on 9/19/01 at 17:10 (060981)

Carmen: go ahead and pile on about my misspelling. You just join the list of many. it was bad when i started and it will continue. i will be watching you post carefully to make sure you make no boo boo. i just am to lazy to go to spell checker or to correct the mistakes. we have some really great mistakes on the board with spelling which changed the entire meaning. seems wendy in particular had a goodie one time but i cannot remember what it was. perhaps she can enlighten me. so now carmen, all eyes will be focused on your spelling and grammar rather than your pretty face.

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 18:11 (060991)

Can't remember off the top of my head..but we've had some really good one.

Re: UH OH

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:53 (061038)

I am the worst!!! If you ask me how to spell something I'm right there with it. You ask me to type without error and I am a TOTAL mess.
That's why I picked on you...see NOW I am not alone!!!
:-)
I am going to misspell EVERY time so I can run off and have a martini!!
Woooooeee!

john h on 9/20/01 at 09:43 (061048)

carmen: i am checking your spelling as i read your message. only problem is i am not sure if your spelling is right or wrong.

Re: Have ya another Martini...

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 12:24 (061063)

Try a little more Vermouth this time and less Gin....
hee hee

Re: YEA!!!

Glenn X on 9/20/01 at 22:20 (061112)

Carmen: Your enthusiasm is infectious -- and therapeutic.

Pain is sort of an irrelevant issue with me. Every day is equally and tolerably 'painful' (in the 5 or so arena?), but I am in a groove where every day I am able to do more. Been on just one crutch nearing a week. Ankle dorsiflexion continues to improve; now at 81 degrees. Swelling is down. Just occasionally, maybe once a week tape.

Love your remarks re 'responsibility.' I'd like to see a sign-on procedure to heelspurs that enables and acknowledges personal responsibility on the part of everyone seeking advice or counsel. Somehow the internet as a forum for care, or supplemental care, needs to be made workable. Heelspurs is a great example of the potential, and we've not yet fully tapped into that potential.

You doing OK?

Glenn X on 9/20/01 at 22:26 (061113)

John: Tried a Molsons. Got whiplash up-ending it. You want to settle out of court? It'll cost you a round.

Really heartened by your comments of progress. Exciting and inspiring to read about. Re-inforces my own can-do attitude ... a bunch. Thank you!

Re: Julie where ya at? Glenn you around?

Glenn X on 9/19/01 at 10:47 (060936)

Carmen: Saddened, distracted, making progress. Thanks for asking. You sound good.

Just read a part of the discussion leading to Dr. Ed's decision to limit his heelspurs involvement. I've learned nearly as much from him here on this board as I have being his patient.

But I understand fully. In the context of this litigous, it's-not-my-fault / not-my-responsibility society we've sunk to, I've occasionally wondered at my own remote risks in making pointed suggestions, and in fact try and couch any thoughts in the context of, 'this is what I do.' Also, being a rank amateur, I've felt little 'professional' vulnerability. But Ed being a doctor . . . his risks are real.

How awful it must feel to be stifled from giving comfort with mere words. This is what a loss of free speech feels like.

And is yet one more example of what a miserable mess our health-care and associated insurance and legal systems are in.

CArmen on 9/19/01 at 11:24 (060940)

Good to hear from you! I was starting to worry.
I am okay day by day you know....I have a lot more knowledge about my situation now than I ever thought possible. ASK me a question about the Ischial and gluteal area and I can probably give you an answer! I was fortunate enough to have an actual Orthopedic Surgeon call me back last night (my husbands Dad's old friend from high school)and he talked to me about all of my symptoms (back, hamstrings, glutes, feet) and walked me through my history and my current situation and deducts from the reports I read him, (mris, xrays etc) that I have a lumbrosacral disk problem (I thought so) and that my feet are being affected by this. It's bilateral and he says it makes NO sense to him that I would be diagnosed with PF with the symptoms I explained to him. Long story...anyway I was pretty excited when he was referring to areas in the back (coccyx, sacrum, L1-L5 etc etc) and I was able to say 'Yes I know that area. Go on...' and could have an educated discussion with him!
He restored a tiny bit of my faith in the medical professionals. Took his own personal time to call me. Much like the Dr.'s here....
So I HATE that Dr. Ed is gone.....BUT understand his need to protect himself and can fully appreciate his decision. I have his email so I can keep in touch.
His opinion is valued. But as I said 'WE ' are responsible for what we listen to and what advice we heed....so anyone not seeking a dr.s care outside of the internet needs more help in then foot help.
IN MY opinion.
Anyway glad you are poking right along. Are you more mobile now? How's the pain?
Glad you visited for a minute too....

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:14 (060954)

Glenn X: i have always wonderd how the doctors would expose to liabilities by helping us? I think any case ever brought in a court based on a person using info on the internet would ultimately thrown out of any court. Having said that 'I, John H do notify anyone using any of my suggestions do so at their own risk and peril. I am nota Doctor or medical professional of any sorts and any advice I offer is based on personal experience and information gathered from other non-professionals,publications and my own doctors'. So there is my disclaimer which is worthless. I recommend a Molson for many problems and a Beefeater martini, stirred not shaken, with olive, for more serious promblems.

John h on 9/19/01 at 13:15 (060955)

Dr Ed: You surely can continue with your history lessons. You have enlightend me on many subjects of which i have great interest.

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 13:53 (060961)

Is misspelling Problems considered a serious problem? If so I think you deserve a Martini!!! Woo hooooo! Yee hawww!~

john h on 9/19/01 at 17:10 (060981)

Carmen: go ahead and pile on about my misspelling. You just join the list of many. it was bad when i started and it will continue. i will be watching you post carefully to make sure you make no boo boo. i just am to lazy to go to spell checker or to correct the mistakes. we have some really great mistakes on the board with spelling which changed the entire meaning. seems wendy in particular had a goodie one time but i cannot remember what it was. perhaps she can enlighten me. so now carmen, all eyes will be focused on your spelling and grammar rather than your pretty face.

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 18:11 (060991)

Can't remember off the top of my head..but we've had some really good one.

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:53 (061038)

I am the worst!!! If you ask me how to spell something I'm right there with it. You ask me to type without error and I am a TOTAL mess.
That's why I picked on you...see NOW I am not alone!!!
:-)
I am going to misspell EVERY time so I can run off and have a martini!!
Woooooeee!

john h on 9/20/01 at 09:43 (061048)

carmen: i am checking your spelling as i read your message. only problem is i am not sure if your spelling is right or wrong.

Re: Have ya another Martini...

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 12:24 (061063)

Try a little more Vermouth this time and less Gin....
hee hee

Re: YEA!!!

Glenn X on 9/20/01 at 22:20 (061112)

Carmen: Your enthusiasm is infectious -- and therapeutic.

Pain is sort of an irrelevant issue with me. Every day is equally and tolerably 'painful' (in the 5 or so arena?), but I am in a groove where every day I am able to do more. Been on just one crutch nearing a week. Ankle dorsiflexion continues to improve; now at 81 degrees. Swelling is down. Just occasionally, maybe once a week tape.

Love your remarks re 'responsibility.' I'd like to see a sign-on procedure to heelspurs that enables and acknowledges personal responsibility on the part of everyone seeking advice or counsel. Somehow the internet as a forum for care, or supplemental care, needs to be made workable. Heelspurs is a great example of the potential, and we've not yet fully tapped into that potential.

You doing OK?

Glenn X on 9/20/01 at 22:26 (061113)

John: Tried a Molsons. Got whiplash up-ending it. You want to settle out of court? It'll cost you a round.

Really heartened by your comments of progress. Exciting and inspiring to read about. Re-inforces my own can-do attitude ... a bunch. Thank you!