Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Antiques

Posted by Necee on 9/17/01 at 21:03 (060812)

Well, I've been away for a few days and I can't believe what I've missed out on!
You all have had a wonderful conversation about one of my favorite subjects, antiques! As some of you know, I'm the warehouse manager at an antique auction co here in Texas. I have always appreciated antiques, especially American antiques, and primitives. Antiques have a story to tell! From the old furniture pieces to your Grandmothers cookie jar, its kind of like, each time I see and old house I often say, 'boy if these walls could talk!' There is so much history in family heirlooms, each time someone brings in to our auction a piece to consign that once belonged to their great-grandmother I just can't understand how they could let something like that go, I guess I'm just too sentimental.
When I look at an antique, especially the handcrafted ones,I can't help but wonder about the person who's skilled hands spent many hours perfecting that piece. They sure don't make furniture like they use to.

Wendy, glad to learn that you've come to your senses about antiques, I always thought you were a smart gal! When ever I travel, I can't pass up an antique shop, I see so many things that remind me of my mother and grandmother.
Necee

Re: Sounds fun!

CArmen H on 9/18/01 at 15:51 (060879)

sounds like you had a good time....My husbands grandmother has left an abandon house from the early 1900's FULL of stuff in Kentucky and we are going up to just EMPTY it out before they burn it down. You should see the mantels, light fixtures and floor to ceiling Shutters on the INSIDE of the house. AMAZING. Of course when we drove by it I screamed 'STOP THE CAR!!!! WHO'S house is THAT?' When his dad told me it was going to be burnt down so they didn't have to messs with the contents I ran out of the car, climbed through a broken window (all doors are locked ) and went nuts!
So we get to keep anything we want and sell the rest! Sounds like fun huh?

Necee on 9/19/01 at 00:18 (060913)

Carmen you sound like my kind of gal!!! I love doing that sort of thing!
I find great joy in being able to preserve things of the past.
We need to talk more! I could share some antiquing stories with you.
Necee

Re: Me too!

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 07:36 (060924)

I LOVE the stories that come with the items we find....There is a store about a mile from me called 'One of a Kind' and it's a bunch of dealers that just shop for a living basically and bring their antiques to this huge store and each person hastheiur own little 'booth' so to speak with their treasures. I love going there! It's so reasonable and there are so many cool things!
we took an old Spitoon (Tobacco) from the house already and my husbands mom said she remembers that 'Ol Nasty thang!' sitting by her grandpa's chair......
Where do you live?

Lisa C on 9/19/01 at 18:40 (061001)

Carmen I envy you! Take the wooden windows with all the old hardware too! They are wonderful for that shabby chic look! I love furniture with several layers/colors of chipped and peeling paint. I sold our Chippendale mahogany dining room set and got a distressed set with rubbed off paint on the legs. My husband thinks everything I like looks like I took it out of a dumpster. If I thought dumpsters had that kind of old furniture in them I'd probably dive in!

Re: I hear you~

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:51 (061037)

Me too...that type of furniture is my favorite. It has a homey feel and looks very cool...
I can't wait to rip the hardware off the switch plates too!

CArmen H on 9/18/01 at 15:51 (060879)

sounds like you had a good time....My husbands grandmother has left an abandon house from the early 1900's FULL of stuff in Kentucky and we are going up to just EMPTY it out before they burn it down. You should see the mantels, light fixtures and floor to ceiling Shutters on the INSIDE of the house. AMAZING. Of course when we drove by it I screamed 'STOP THE CAR!!!! WHO'S house is THAT?' When his dad told me it was going to be burnt down so they didn't have to messs with the contents I ran out of the car, climbed through a broken window (all doors are locked ) and went nuts!
So we get to keep anything we want and sell the rest! Sounds like fun huh?

Necee on 9/19/01 at 00:18 (060913)

Carmen you sound like my kind of gal!!! I love doing that sort of thing!
I find great joy in being able to preserve things of the past.
We need to talk more! I could share some antiquing stories with you.
Necee

Re: Me too!

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 07:36 (060924)

I LOVE the stories that come with the items we find....There is a store about a mile from me called 'One of a Kind' and it's a bunch of dealers that just shop for a living basically and bring their antiques to this huge store and each person hastheiur own little 'booth' so to speak with their treasures. I love going there! It's so reasonable and there are so many cool things!
we took an old Spitoon (Tobacco) from the house already and my husbands mom said she remembers that 'Ol Nasty thang!' sitting by her grandpa's chair......
Where do you live?

Lisa C on 9/19/01 at 18:40 (061001)

Carmen I envy you! Take the wooden windows with all the old hardware too! They are wonderful for that shabby chic look! I love furniture with several layers/colors of chipped and peeling paint. I sold our Chippendale mahogany dining room set and got a distressed set with rubbed off paint on the legs. My husband thinks everything I like looks like I took it out of a dumpster. If I thought dumpsters had that kind of old furniture in them I'd probably dive in!

Re: I hear you~

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:51 (061037)

Me too...that type of furniture is my favorite. It has a homey feel and looks very cool...
I can't wait to rip the hardware off the switch plates too!