Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

decorum, courtesy, liablity

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/01 at 23:31 (060822)

Scott:

A number of doctors have given freely of their time on this site. Names have come and gone. We are trying to provide a free service because we enjoy doing so. Unfortunatley, a recent exchange on the 'Ask the Doctors' section has led me to believe that we may be incurring a liability in providing this 'service.' Despite comments of 'appreciation,' if expectations of what I would have considered a casual, informational service lead to expectations of the type of service one would expect at a doctor's office, a different situation evolves. Unfortunatley it is not a situation that permits my continued participation.

My best wishes to all the regulars here and best of luck to all who seek to find a cure for their heel pain.

Yours truly,
Ed Davis, DPM
eddavisdpm@hotmail.com

Re: decorum, courtesy, liablity

Lisa C on 9/18/01 at 04:12 (060828)

Let me be the first to thank you for all that you have given to heelspurs. I personally appreciate your prompt responses and knowledgeable answers to my questions. This is a big loss as you were very generous in sharing that most valuable commodity with us, your time. I hope you will find a way to visit and join in, in a liability risk free way in the very near future. All the best to you!! Thank you!!!

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 07:07 (060834)

Dr. Davis,
I'm sorry Donna SL is running you off. I have not and will not be able to read what's been transpiring (I only have time to scan posts). I can add a statement to the posting agreement that says 'visitors should not harass doctors'. Donna, the 'ask the foot doctors' board was meant to be mainly for the doctors. People post in order to seek the opinions of those with credentials. I do not think they want to see arguments. Dr. Davis is currently the only doctor posting. In the absence of others emailing me and supporting your position that his posts could be harmful, and since I do not have time to figure out 'who's right', I have to side with him because he has the credentials. So if it's going to help Dr. Davis stay, I have to ask you not to respond to his posts.

Donna SL has been posting since January. If anyone has a better idea in what I should do I'm all ears. You know how difficult this stuff gets.

Scott

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 07:10 (060835)

One more thing about liability: I just noticed that I may not have a statement in the posting agreement that relieves doctors of responsibility, so I'll change that.

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 07:35 (060837)

I too have been too busy to follow this one closely.

I think it's fine to post a contradicting opinion to a doctors.

BUT - if you're going to debate treatments and their merits/risks...one better have some pretty good medical information and education backing them up.

I do not know what Donna's credentials are - I simply can't remember.

Lots of people here post varying opinions and suggestions...but there's a fine line when you start saying 'You are wrong' 'I am right'.

JudyS on 9/18/01 at 10:53 (060845)

Scott, Donna and Ed have both been very effective contributors here - may I suggest a simple solution? Ask (allow?) that ONLY doctors respond to questions posted in the Ask the Doctor section?

Re: Don't go DR. ED!!!!!!!!

Carmen H on 9/18/01 at 13:27 (060855)

Don't leave us!!! It really seems to me it is up to all of us to accept responsiblity for our own care regardless of 'WHAT' we read and 'WHO' posts the information we read. Isn't that what it boils down to? We are responsible for our own treatment and following up with what we feel BEST pertains to our own individual situation. I can't believe ANY person would expect INTERNET treatment to be the ONLY treatment they need....yes I know there are people out there that think that. BUT what I am saying is this.....Dr. Ed has given us so much on a Doctors level and I am sure Donna has contributed (I am speaking from only what I personally have read at this point) on a personal pain and research level as well. As I feel I utilize both Areas quite often (doctors advice and other people experiencing the same thing) I feel they are both useful references...Maybe there needs to be a better defined board? Like instead of Social Support...put something in regards to 'personal experience advice' where we can share what we've learned by experience. And as Judy said leave the doctors board TO the Doctors...I am guilty guilty guilty of hogging up that board too!! I don't belong posting on there but boy it's hard not to when you see a new post! My fingers itch to say something encouraging!! But we 'patients' will have to lay off that board maybe? In order to keep doctors participating and helping I agree that should be the DOCTORS only board. I would hate to lose Dr. Ed.....and I know a number of people would as well.
Just my two cents....not worth a lot but hey! Anything to keep the peace...and dr. ed too....

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/18/01 at 14:18 (060867)

Thank you Carmen. Please let me know how things go via my email, eddavisdpm@hotmail.com That invitation is open to all whom I have had the pleasure of corresponding with here. I take a few minutes here and there to answer questions as I try to discuss various scenarios. None of us can take full case presentations nor give comprehensive information on every topic. An implied doctor-patient relationship is created when such things do happen and I certainly did not appreciate being essentially badgered to do so by Donna.
Regards,
Ed

Tammie on 9/18/01 at 16:31 (060884)

My sentiments also , seems sad that we all can't share the different boards here . Of course there will always be different thoughts , do u think that maybe we are all a bit more upset since the horrors and tragedy of the NY ? Maybe once we relax a bit , tempers will simmer a bit more . I really hate to see you go as you are so very patient and helpful and really enjoyed the knowledge you gave with the history which unfortuantly was never at the top of my list in school, neither was typing I got a c- and I think they just gave me that to keep my moral up heheh and well spelling hmm think I was shopping those days or reading a good book inside my english book? In any case you have been a asset, and the things you give us to think about or research with our Dr.s or help us to find a New Dr. has been very much appreciated! You should not have to defend your opioions as that is what you give you are not giving dx you are helping us to find a way to talk with our own Dr.s more about our conditions and in the end it is up to us and our Dr.s to do what we feel is best! But it is very sad that you feel you can not continue as can you see by all that have responded to your leaving in sadness ,that we need you here in the way you think is fair and safe for you! Do you have any thoughts on how it can be done for your saftey? Will you let one person who differs from your ways run you out and let you leave your friends here? Please reconsider, It of course must be very difficult for any Dr. to give up so much of there time as they surely have a life of there own and don't need the hassels of this to as I am sure they get enough in there office, but it feels nice to know there is a Dr. around in the house to help steer us into more information or to find a nother option that maybe we or our Dr. have not found. In any case the decision is yours, I feel sad as you may have Dr/ near your name but I have thought you also have been a friend and teacher also! No one will always be right or agree, that is life, that was pointed out to me the passive one! Take care and I do hope you give some thought on how it might work for you ! I hate to see anyone leave as it is a good place all in all! Thank you for hangin with us and hope you come back soon with new energy and words and knowledge! You will be missed! Thank you .

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 18:22 (060895)

Dr. Davis,
I remember your post, quite a while back, expressing your concern
for all doctors who were posting regarding liability issues because of the expectations of people in pain who were looking for a complete diagnosis for their foot problems. You said up front that you were not here to do that, but that you would share your expertise in this causal forum to provide information that people could take back to their own physicians. You were not here to diagnose, but simply to inform and that is what you have been doing. You never came to gather patients, never to sell anything, never to diagnose but instead simply to answer questions for people seeking answers.

You provided a wonderful service to heelspurs readers and you kept your promise. You will be sorely missed.

Re: To Scott: decorum, courtesy, liablity

Pauline on 9/19/01 at 07:16 (060921)

Scott,
I don't know the law, and therefore unsure if posting a statement would totally relieve a physician from responsibility and liability. When it comes to the medical profession it seems more difficult to 'statement' liability away. You might want to check it out with your legal
sources.

D.Thomas on 9/19/01 at 15:44 (060970)

Good luck Dr. Ed. You are one of the best. Hands down.

Lisa C on 9/18/01 at 04:12 (060828)

Let me be the first to thank you for all that you have given to heelspurs. I personally appreciate your prompt responses and knowledgeable answers to my questions. This is a big loss as you were very generous in sharing that most valuable commodity with us, your time. I hope you will find a way to visit and join in, in a liability risk free way in the very near future. All the best to you!! Thank you!!!

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 07:07 (060834)

Dr. Davis,
I'm sorry Donna SL is running you off. I have not and will not be able to read what's been transpiring (I only have time to scan posts). I can add a statement to the posting agreement that says 'visitors should not harass doctors'. Donna, the 'ask the foot doctors' board was meant to be mainly for the doctors. People post in order to seek the opinions of those with credentials. I do not think they want to see arguments. Dr. Davis is currently the only doctor posting. In the absence of others emailing me and supporting your position that his posts could be harmful, and since I do not have time to figure out 'who's right', I have to side with him because he has the credentials. So if it's going to help Dr. Davis stay, I have to ask you not to respond to his posts.

Donna SL has been posting since January. If anyone has a better idea in what I should do I'm all ears. You know how difficult this stuff gets.

Scott

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 07:10 (060835)

One more thing about liability: I just noticed that I may not have a statement in the posting agreement that relieves doctors of responsibility, so I'll change that.

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 07:35 (060837)

I too have been too busy to follow this one closely.

I think it's fine to post a contradicting opinion to a doctors.

BUT - if you're going to debate treatments and their merits/risks...one better have some pretty good medical information and education backing them up.

I do not know what Donna's credentials are - I simply can't remember.

Lots of people here post varying opinions and suggestions...but there's a fine line when you start saying 'You are wrong' 'I am right'.

JudyS on 9/18/01 at 10:53 (060845)

Scott, Donna and Ed have both been very effective contributors here - may I suggest a simple solution? Ask (allow?) that ONLY doctors respond to questions posted in the Ask the Doctor section?

Carmen H on 9/18/01 at 13:27 (060855)

Don't leave us!!! It really seems to me it is up to all of us to accept responsiblity for our own care regardless of 'WHAT' we read and 'WHO' posts the information we read. Isn't that what it boils down to? We are responsible for our own treatment and following up with what we feel BEST pertains to our own individual situation. I can't believe ANY person would expect INTERNET treatment to be the ONLY treatment they need....yes I know there are people out there that think that. BUT what I am saying is this.....Dr. Ed has given us so much on a Doctors level and I am sure Donna has contributed (I am speaking from only what I personally have read at this point) on a personal pain and research level as well. As I feel I utilize both Areas quite often (doctors advice and other people experiencing the same thing) I feel they are both useful references...Maybe there needs to be a better defined board? Like instead of Social Support...put something in regards to 'personal experience advice' where we can share what we've learned by experience. And as Judy said leave the doctors board TO the Doctors...I am guilty guilty guilty of hogging up that board too!! I don't belong posting on there but boy it's hard not to when you see a new post! My fingers itch to say something encouraging!! But we 'patients' will have to lay off that board maybe? In order to keep doctors participating and helping I agree that should be the DOCTORS only board. I would hate to lose Dr. Ed.....and I know a number of people would as well.
Just my two cents....not worth a lot but hey! Anything to keep the peace...and dr. ed too....

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/18/01 at 14:18 (060867)

Thank you Carmen. Please let me know how things go via my email, eddavisdpm@hotmail.com That invitation is open to all whom I have had the pleasure of corresponding with here. I take a few minutes here and there to answer questions as I try to discuss various scenarios. None of us can take full case presentations nor give comprehensive information on every topic. An implied doctor-patient relationship is created when such things do happen and I certainly did not appreciate being essentially badgered to do so by Donna.
Regards,
Ed

Tammie on 9/18/01 at 16:31 (060884)

My sentiments also , seems sad that we all can't share the different boards here . Of course there will always be different thoughts , do u think that maybe we are all a bit more upset since the horrors and tragedy of the NY ? Maybe once we relax a bit , tempers will simmer a bit more . I really hate to see you go as you are so very patient and helpful and really enjoyed the knowledge you gave with the history which unfortuantly was never at the top of my list in school, neither was typing I got a c- and I think they just gave me that to keep my moral up heheh and well spelling hmm think I was shopping those days or reading a good book inside my english book? In any case you have been a asset, and the things you give us to think about or research with our Dr.s or help us to find a New Dr. has been very much appreciated! You should not have to defend your opioions as that is what you give you are not giving dx you are helping us to find a way to talk with our own Dr.s more about our conditions and in the end it is up to us and our Dr.s to do what we feel is best! But it is very sad that you feel you can not continue as can you see by all that have responded to your leaving in sadness ,that we need you here in the way you think is fair and safe for you! Do you have any thoughts on how it can be done for your saftey? Will you let one person who differs from your ways run you out and let you leave your friends here? Please reconsider, It of course must be very difficult for any Dr. to give up so much of there time as they surely have a life of there own and don't need the hassels of this to as I am sure they get enough in there office, but it feels nice to know there is a Dr. around in the house to help steer us into more information or to find a nother option that maybe we or our Dr. have not found. In any case the decision is yours, I feel sad as you may have Dr/ near your name but I have thought you also have been a friend and teacher also! No one will always be right or agree, that is life, that was pointed out to me the passive one! Take care and I do hope you give some thought on how it might work for you ! I hate to see anyone leave as it is a good place all in all! Thank you for hangin with us and hope you come back soon with new energy and words and knowledge! You will be missed! Thank you .

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 18:22 (060895)

Dr. Davis,
I remember your post, quite a while back, expressing your concern
for all doctors who were posting regarding liability issues because of the expectations of people in pain who were looking for a complete diagnosis for their foot problems. You said up front that you were not here to do that, but that you would share your expertise in this causal forum to provide information that people could take back to their own physicians. You were not here to diagnose, but simply to inform and that is what you have been doing. You never came to gather patients, never to sell anything, never to diagnose but instead simply to answer questions for people seeking answers.

You provided a wonderful service to heelspurs readers and you kept your promise. You will be sorely missed.

Re: To Scott: decorum, courtesy, liablity

Pauline on 9/19/01 at 07:16 (060921)

Scott,
I don't know the law, and therefore unsure if posting a statement would totally relieve a physician from responsibility and liability. When it comes to the medical profession it seems more difficult to 'statement' liability away. You might want to check it out with your legal
sources.

D.Thomas on 9/19/01 at 15:44 (060970)

Good luck Dr. Ed. You are one of the best. Hands down.