Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

JUDY

Posted by Barbara TX on 9/18/01 at 11:54 (060849)

Judy - I don't know where to post this about my wrist... we should have a category called 'Collateral Damage.' But, my wrists are still so BAD. What is the thing that you've done (ergonomically) that you think has helped the most. Things have to change around here soon desk and chairwise. We are considering a new keyboard. What kind do you have? B.

Re: JUDY

JudyS on 9/18/01 at 13:40 (060860)

Hi TexBarb -

I've done several things;
bought a Microsoft Ergonomic Internet Keyboard (Internet means that you can access several 'net functions with the keyboard as opposed to the mouse), I bought a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro - it was expensive but it can be used by either hand and also has several push-button functions;
I mounted a pull-out keyboard tray under my desk which positions the keyboard at a lower height - the only problem with it is that the arms of my desk chair prevent me from pulling that tray as close to me as I want it; My doc gave me wrist splints which I use when I'm typing (Especially when I'm IM'ing with John h, you KNOW how chatty he can get....!)

But probably the two most effective things I've done are gone to a Chiropractor and gotten back in to strenght training. Definately a difference.

Oh, and I stay away from Soy milk :)

Beverly on 9/18/01 at 15:41 (060874)

Barbara,

I couldn't get used to the split keyboard, but Judy, I'm glad it is helping you. I have various ergodynamic gadgets... a top quality chair with adjustable arm wrests was money well spent. But I've found nothing makes as big an impact as taking frequent computer breaks, taking days off from the computer on bad days, and icing my wrists when they hurt. I've found massage helps my wrists more than my feet. Some days, I go to my massage therapist and have to really think about what is the biggest 'ouchy' for the day. There's only so much she can cover in an hour.
If you have insurance that covers PT, you might want to look for a PT who specializes in the hand/wrist.

There are enough of us with this, I have to wonder if there is some underlying reason. I never scooted on the floor on my wrists; so I can't blame that one.

I have not looked into voice recognition software and have no idea what it costs, but that is another idea.
Hope you get a handle on this. Are your feet doing any better?
Beverly

Barbara TX on 9/18/01 at 16:50 (060887)

Thanks for all that wonderful advice... does your chiropractor work on your wrists or your back?? B.

Barbara TX on 9/18/01 at 16:55 (060888)

Bev - this has been going on since Eastertime, and still my right wrist burns and aches nearly all the time. Breaks seem to be the only thing that helps me so far too. I had to take a break from IM because I am so darn slow - people fall asleep when chatting with me (for various reasons). Feet are a little better, but I still use crutches for the first hour of the day and go nowhere, rarely leave the house except for ballet or pool. Can't wait to get that neuroma out. What about your feet, Beverly? B.

Re: barbs wrists

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 17:35 (060890)

Barb I had tendonitis in the forarms / carpal tunnel real bad. Stretching by bending the hand way back by pushing on the fingertips and icing were the best. Massaging while doing the stretching was important for mine since there seem to be calcium (?) deposits in the tendons. Massaging to break it up. Stretching all the time (every 5 minutes) when on the computer. And black cherry juice seemed amazing for it.

Re: JUDY/Barb

john h on 9/18/01 at 18:36 (060899)

i thought the splint was helping you judy? i see people all the time with wrist splints so i guess CTS or tendonitis must be very common. I had a short bout with a wrist problem but it was from weights and quickly disappeared when i cut back on weights. Barb with you it just has to be crutches! I do not see how anyone can use crutches as long as you and not have bad wrist. If you use them as instructed the weight goes directly to your wrist. The shock absorber crutches are supossed to help that so use them bozo if you are not!

john h on 9/18/01 at 18:44 (060901)

barb: maybe a few days away from your scott and keeping your neck tucked back all the time is all you will need. sit by the pool with judy and drink toddys and maybe some of that tension and pain will go away. all you have to do is make it from the car to the pool to the bar. maybe a little keroke or hokey pokey.

Re: Scott

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 07:47 (060925)

Did you use a wrist glove?
I ask b/c I got one (prevention of CTS I had early signs) and don't want to suggest where if you sell them. hee hee
I'm picking on you.....
We need a litle humor around here huh?
Let's pick on Scott!

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 07:58 (060927)

Carmen, welcome to my favorite game. It will be nice to have a partner in rime.

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 08:02 (060928)

And that's a nice typo. I would like to have a partner in crime. Not in rhyme or in rime.

I need my coffee.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 09:16 (060930)

Thanks so much - will try all. Wear splints and they hae GREATLY reduced my flexibility. There was a time when the right was completely frozen. Any motion irritates them. First five minutes of typing are fine, but then the burning can spread all the way up to my neck. Miserable hell.

Does the cherry juice have sugar in it. Thanks. Lefty.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 09:19 (060931)

No, I completely misuse crutches putting most of my weight on my underarms. I can even carry stuff while I crutch around. I suppose the nerves under my arms will explode next.

I am in such a bad mood today... seems like I will never get better. B.

JudyS on 9/19/01 at 10:12 (060932)

Hi TexBarb - my chiropractor works on my elbows, lower arms and wrists - and, of course, my feet! I agree that using the splints during typing is not all that comfortable. Better just to do all else, use the splints at night and take typing breaks.
I haven't tried the cherry juice, but on the baseball/softball fields they call me Lefty.....does that count?

Re: make me laugh

CArmen on 9/19/01 at 11:26 (060941)

You make me laugh. coffee....I think I need it to.
Scott...look out!

Re: Barb

Carmen on 9/19/01 at 11:31 (060942)

Have you looked into any of the site I posted information on CTS from? They are on the treatment board...I really looked into it (I am preventing it b/c I know my body is prone to PROBLEMS much like yours I guess).
I do the stretch (first thing in the morning and many times during the day)
where you link your fingers together and stretch them palms up toward the ceiling. That one feels good and has helped so far.
also I only wear the splint while typing b/c they recommend taking it off and rotating your wrists to keepthe muscle from atrophying. sounds like common knowledge I know but helped me so far....
Just some ideas.
I understand your bad mood. when I am in those 'funks' I take time OUT. Much like a kid..but I put myself there. Lay on my back and breathe and relax for a few minutes.
helps clear my mind. The mantra 'I will get better, I will get better'
helps too...but only on the SEMI-crappy days. ha
Chin up.
You have a fellow sufferer who understands constant all over nerve pain.
Mines in my glutes and hamstrings and back.yikes.

Beverly on 9/19/01 at 12:30 (060946)

Barbara,

Thank you for asking about me. My feet are holding their own... ditto on ankles. I had a setback about a month ago. But this past week or so, I feel like I've mostly bounced back from the setback, and I've returned to where I was before the setback. I had an MRI about 2 weeks ago (ankles). Still have not heard from the doc on results... called yesterday and today to try to get info. But no news feels like good news. I figure if my ankles had shown something alarming, doc's office would have called me right away.

I'm enjoying the MLA course I'm taking... an especially good diversion with all that has been happening lately in our country. And mentally, I think I've adjusted (mostly) to the life changes PF/PTT/AT have brought. I guess you could say I've made peace with it. Of course, I am still working towards recovery.

Trying to loose weight... seems to be my hardest quest... sticking to it. Twenty pounds would make such a difference since I'm only somewhat overweight. I think I keep gaining and loosing the same 5-7 pounds.

One other thing I do for the wrists. I try to make sure I don't clutch the mouse. I've caught myself holding onto the thing like it was the 'clutch' on a car! I've learned to be very gentle with my mouse.

Best wishes,
Beverly

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:32 (060958)

Barb: there is three varieties of cherry juice concentrate i have tried. Beans and Grains carry two and i ordered the one that either scott or julie mentioned. They are all natural. The two in beans and grains were sweet enough for me to just mix with water and tastes great. The larger bottle i ordered really needed some sweetner of sorts for my taste. I tried just gulping it straight from the bottle but i do not like that. to much like cough syrup. my wife bought a bottle of cranberry extract and i not knowing picked it up and took a gulp and thought i would surely die. that stuff is so bitter there is not enough sugar in the world to make it taste good. This reminds as i type of another adventure when i was in high school. I developed my own photo prints and kept my developing solution in a ginger ale bottle. my mother unknowingly placed it in the frig. after a big night out with the gang. i walked in and took a big swig of developer and knew i was going to die. my mother, a nurse, had me drink all the milk that was in the refrigerator and eat a loaf of bread. moral do not gulp anything espically developing liquid.

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:36 (060959)

barb: you are surely aware of the downside of putting that weight under your arms. you can do some serious nerve damage as their are some critical nerves in that area which poses the question could this be part of the wrist problem? most booklets on the use of crutches warns of the possible nerve damage when using them as you describe. if you have a little red wagon then bring it to new jersey and i will be glad to pull you around.

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:38 (060960)

carmen: add to your manatra barbs mantra 'have a molson, have a molson'!

john h on 9/19/01 at 17:17 (060983)

A couple of things i was reading today Barb about repetative wrist injuries: (1) never have your elbows lower than your wrist when typing and they said 'NEVER'. (2) Do not use a wrist rest when typing. only use it when resting your wrist. (3) Make sure you have the best ergonomic chair (high back) that you can afford.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:18 (060993)

You have put your finger on the hardest thing - taking weight off while sedentary. Very hard to do... do I remember you lying on your back, doing an air-crawl??? I resort to that sometimes, so I won't go NUTS.

Glad that you are holding steady, and that MRI might be interesting. I haven't made my peace with my limitations, but I know I'm making progress. Finally off every drug, just accepting the fact that I just have to cry sometimes. But, it is controllable.

You are right about the mouse. I am a clutcher. Must stop that now!! B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:22 (060994)

LORD I am doing everything wrong!!! My elbows are practically on the floor as we speak. We'll invest bigtime in my desk this weekend. Got back the money that the guv'ment 'borrowed' from us today. B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:25 (060996)

Carmen thanks. You are such an encouraging, cheery person. I will try to find that link to CTS...

I was never prone to anything before 2 years ago, then the feet went out of the blue, leaving a trail of hurting body parts in their wake.

'I will get better.' Now to believe it. B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:50 (061003)

I want the most sour brand possible, with the least amount of sugar. I hope it helps... I am so blue that even polishing my bedside picture of Dick Cheney could not pick me up from the dumps.

Did you see him on the tube with GB today? He is the coolest cucumber I know in politics, with no annoying tendency to emotionally manipulate people with his language. He also operates from a secret bunker, and you know how a man with a secret bunker flutters the heart of TXBabs.

I do believe that I have lost my mind. B.

JudyS on 9/19/01 at 19:22 (061006)

Babs, you're right - you HAVE lost your mind! We need to break you of that horrid Cheney thing right now! It's freaking me out!
I will list here the first step in what will, within 24 hours, become the heelspurs.com 12-step program for ridding one's self of a Cheney-like obsession.
I invite others to add to the list - let's pull together here, folks, Babs REALLY needs us!

STEP 1 - Replace Cheney photo with Costner photo
STEP 2 - ?

john h on 9/19/01 at 21:33 (061018)

hey barb: i used to work in a secret bunker! ever hear of Cheyenne Mountain? betch you scott has? he may have even been there. now that is a bunker. forget cheney! if you are into bunkers 'I will take you there'!

john h on 9/19/01 at 21:34 (061019)

i sent her my picture. that did not help! how about Boy George?

Re: wrist splints

scott r on 9/19/01 at 22:05 (061022)

wrist splints made a drammatic improvement when I wore them when sleeping. i sleep on my arms and apparently that was causing some harm. the black cherry concentrate is loaded with sugar. one more depressing piece of advice that will do me and the website harm if you follow it: never post again.

Re: Cheny Replacement Suggestion!!

Lisa C on 9/20/01 at 00:37 (061027)

If you like a man with grey hair. Look at one of the old Seinfeld episodes with Elaines boss 'J. Peterman' in it!

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:36 (061066)

Too tall and not nearly bald enough. B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:39 (061067)

Cheyenne mountain...iIs that where NORAD is? B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:47 (061069)

By Boy George, do you mean Pres. Bush? He is way too young for me. I like old, old, old, and the chance that he could tip over with a major coronary episode at any moment only adds to his allure.

Check him out at http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/

Behold the seat of power. B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:51 (061071)

A break would do me good... but I took a 2 month break last time and it did SQUAT. When I go for my next surgery (28th). I will take another break for a week. My splints are a total necessity at night. I sleep with my hands under my body and they curl up until they are stone numb. I frighten myself when my inert hands touch my face at night. Creeps me out. B.

Nancy N on 9/20/01 at 16:25 (061084)

How about Patrick Stewart, then?

john h on 9/20/01 at 16:39 (061086)

barb: you are right on! that is where NORAD is and you can bet your heart throb dick cheney has been there many times. No bigger bunker that i am aware of.

john h on 9/20/01 at 16:41 (061088)

Barb: come to think of it; NORAD that is guy type talk. you must have been listening to Scott or something.

nancy s. on 9/20/01 at 19:12 (061101)

how about that biker-type guy who's governor of minnesota? why can't i remember his name? he doesn't have any hair that i've ever seen, barb -- might be just your kind of guy!

john h on 9/20/01 at 21:55 (061107)

nancy dear: jessee ventura (the body)

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:48 (061155)

I don't think that he would prefer me... thought he had an 'alternatie lifestyle.' B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:54 (061156)

I took interrest in DC from the beginning of this. He is the brain who designed the presidential succession procedures during the Ford administration. No way was he really at Camp David this past week - his mama didn't raise no fool. Probably at an 'undisclosed' location (how romantic) and the Camp David locale leaked to press. He was mysteriously absent from the address to congress last night, and was most likely enjoying a Molson in the secret bunker.

He is the only man I know whose absence is even fonder than his presence. B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:58 (061158)

Nancy N - Nice to see you post again!!!!! B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 11:00 (061159)

Jesse Ventura is a barbarian. DC is the apex of all civility. B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 11:01 (061160)

Sorry my 'V' key is sort of on the fritz. Loe you all, B.

john h on 9/21/01 at 13:42 (061172)

barb: it is not jesse the barbarian ventura it jesse the body ventura. we do not elect wrestlers to high office in Arkansas we have delivered to you Bill and Hillary and Wilbur Mills (of Fanny Fox fame), and William Fulbright.

wendyn on 9/21/01 at 14:07 (061175)

I thought that he and the president would be in different places for security reasons.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 14:13 (061176)

Didn't Arkansas also give us the famous Huey Long? OR was that Alabama? John, I hear that you are volunteering to help build the Clinton Library in Little Rock. Lift with the legs.

Obviously, it is Cheney's mind I'm interested in, but the big blue eyes don't hurt. When he comes on the tube Scott lets me know by saying 'Hey, there's your boyfriend.' B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 14:20 (061177)

Yes, they are, especially during crucial moments and general assembly. His was not a mysterious absence, you are right. Only the location was undisclosed. Actually, he was at my house having a Molson, asking me what he should do about this mess. You dragged it out of me. B.

nancy s. on 9/21/01 at 14:25 (061179)

from what i've seen of you in pics, barb, you and jesse would make a most interesting couple. i just don't see you with cheney, except for the glasses.

phil and i stopped in hope, arkansas. we visited a diner and the clinton library, the only two places open. some of the nicest people we've ever met.

john h on 9/21/01 at 15:11 (061182)

Old Huey Long was from the Pelican State Barb and that would be the great state of LA.

nancy s. on 9/21/01 at 15:14 (061183)

we blew out a tire on a road along a bayou in louisiana. very beautiful spot to break down.

Lisa C on 9/21/01 at 15:18 (061184)

Please, please be talking about Jesse and not 'my' J. Peterman. P.S. He could shave his head, and can a guy really be too tall?? I'm 5'8' so its hard to beleive. Too many memories of slow dancing (bent over) at those Jr. High dances before the boys started to grow!

Nancy N on 9/21/01 at 16:46 (061193)

Coulda fooled me, he's been married twice!!

Nancy N on 9/21/01 at 17:06 (061195)

Nah, she's talking about Patrick Stewart, my suggestion. I have to agree with you, Lisa, John O'Hurley would not be a bad candidate, either!

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 12:39 (061266)

I really never danced much at the proms... I was on the student council, and so I was responsible for hiring the bands, and I usually hung out with them backstage and smoking cigarettes with them when the nuns weren't looking. Now I hang my head in shame. I liked to be running things from the background and nobody knows who or where I am, like my boyfriend DC. B.

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 12:42 (061267)

Whoops! My mistake. I outed Captian Picard! I saw PS on a PBS show about gay people, but perhaps he is not himself gay. Oh, this is a silly thread. None of my business anyway.

Thank you Nancy, for helping me keep this option open. Do you have his phone #? B.

Re: An even better option, perhaps?

Nancy N on 9/22/01 at 13:00 (061268)

Barb, I'm glad to have cleared up that little bit of confusion. I know he has played at least one gay character, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

Don't have his phone number, sorry--if I did, you can bet I'd have used it before now.

Got another idea for you, though. Silly idea on a silly thread, but that is the mood that I am in. Have you considered Martin Sheen, upon whom I could probably be said to have a little crush myself? After all, look at the comparison:

--DC is 60. MS is 61.

--Both have blue eyes (though I'd rather look at Martin's m'self. And his smile is infinitely superior).

--I don't know how tall DC is, but MS is 5'7', so he should not be too tall for you (though at your height, I am not sure why that's a problem anyway...)

--DC is VP. MS is not, but he does play the Prez on TV (and his writers are better, IMHO). And many people wish he would run for office.

--DC is bald (not completely, though). MS is not, but as an actor should have access to good stage makeup, if the hairline is a big issue for you.

--DC may fall over from a heart attack at any moment. (Don't ask me why this is a turn-on for you...) MS is in pretty good health, but he does get arrested pretty often, so perhaps you could find the same rush there?

--I have no idea what religion DC is, though I would guess some sort of Protestant denomination. MS is a devout Catholic, which might be attractive to you as well.

That's just what I've come up with so far... I just know you'll be able to see the light clearly on this one, Barb--if not, hit those gin gimlets and call me in the morning. And yes, I freely admit that I am biased on this one. I live for The West Wing. And my best friend, who now lives in DC, has promised me a 'Martin Sheen is My President' T-shirt, which you can apparently buy there... Martin Sheen rocks.

;)

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 15:10 (061279)

I saw PS on a program called 'In the Life,' latenight PBS. He just did a spot, being himself, as did Jason Alexander. You get sort of confused.

I am taking MS under advisement, but I have not seen him on the West Wing - ever! The most I watch is PBS and political stuff, sometimes reruns of Friends and Frasier when the kids are in bed.

Come to think of it, I never saw Sheen in anything, if you can believe it. Only his sons. Research pending.

I suppose it will be best to leave my bedside portrait of Cheney at home while I travel, because I need to travel lightly. If you hear weeping in the night, disregard it. B.

Nancy N on 9/22/01 at 15:22 (061282)

If you haven't ever seen The West Wing, what are you waiting for?? Ever see The American President? He's good in that, too. If you watch Apocalypse Now, you may find yourself confused because that movie is old enough that he looks like both of his kids--different light or camera angles and suddenly you think it's Charlie, and then a minute later he looks like Emilio. Messed with my head when I saw it last year, almost as much as the movie itself!

Anyway, season premiere of TWW is Wednesday at 9.

Alan Rickman might be another suggestion.... more later, heading out to the movies.

JudyS on 9/22/01 at 16:42 (061287)

OK ladies, here's the scoop of the day; FORGET DC, forget PS, forget MS, forget even my treasured KevinC......we have a new boy on the block and I got my first gander at him in his 'civvies' just the other night....check out a San Diego Padres game when you can and feast your eyes on their manager, Bruce Bochey. Humma. Sorry Kev baby, you've been replaced :)

JudyS on 9/18/01 at 13:40 (060860)

Hi TexBarb -

I've done several things;
bought a Microsoft Ergonomic Internet Keyboard (Internet means that you can access several 'net functions with the keyboard as opposed to the mouse), I bought a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro - it was expensive but it can be used by either hand and also has several push-button functions;
I mounted a pull-out keyboard tray under my desk which positions the keyboard at a lower height - the only problem with it is that the arms of my desk chair prevent me from pulling that tray as close to me as I want it; My doc gave me wrist splints which I use when I'm typing (Especially when I'm IM'ing with John h, you KNOW how chatty he can get....!)

But probably the two most effective things I've done are gone to a Chiropractor and gotten back in to strenght training. Definately a difference.

Oh, and I stay away from Soy milk :)

Beverly on 9/18/01 at 15:41 (060874)

Barbara,

I couldn't get used to the split keyboard, but Judy, I'm glad it is helping you. I have various ergodynamic gadgets... a top quality chair with adjustable arm wrests was money well spent. But I've found nothing makes as big an impact as taking frequent computer breaks, taking days off from the computer on bad days, and icing my wrists when they hurt. I've found massage helps my wrists more than my feet. Some days, I go to my massage therapist and have to really think about what is the biggest 'ouchy' for the day. There's only so much she can cover in an hour.
If you have insurance that covers PT, you might want to look for a PT who specializes in the hand/wrist.

There are enough of us with this, I have to wonder if there is some underlying reason. I never scooted on the floor on my wrists; so I can't blame that one.

I have not looked into voice recognition software and have no idea what it costs, but that is another idea.
Hope you get a handle on this. Are your feet doing any better?
Beverly

Barbara TX on 9/18/01 at 16:50 (060887)

Thanks for all that wonderful advice... does your chiropractor work on your wrists or your back?? B.

Barbara TX on 9/18/01 at 16:55 (060888)

Bev - this has been going on since Eastertime, and still my right wrist burns and aches nearly all the time. Breaks seem to be the only thing that helps me so far too. I had to take a break from IM because I am so darn slow - people fall asleep when chatting with me (for various reasons). Feet are a little better, but I still use crutches for the first hour of the day and go nowhere, rarely leave the house except for ballet or pool. Can't wait to get that neuroma out. What about your feet, Beverly? B.

Scott R on 9/18/01 at 17:35 (060890)

Barb I had tendonitis in the forarms / carpal tunnel real bad. Stretching by bending the hand way back by pushing on the fingertips and icing were the best. Massaging while doing the stretching was important for mine since there seem to be calcium (?) deposits in the tendons. Massaging to break it up. Stretching all the time (every 5 minutes) when on the computer. And black cherry juice seemed amazing for it.

john h on 9/18/01 at 18:36 (060899)

i thought the splint was helping you judy? i see people all the time with wrist splints so i guess CTS or tendonitis must be very common. I had a short bout with a wrist problem but it was from weights and quickly disappeared when i cut back on weights. Barb with you it just has to be crutches! I do not see how anyone can use crutches as long as you and not have bad wrist. If you use them as instructed the weight goes directly to your wrist. The shock absorber crutches are supossed to help that so use them bozo if you are not!

john h on 9/18/01 at 18:44 (060901)

barb: maybe a few days away from your scott and keeping your neck tucked back all the time is all you will need. sit by the pool with judy and drink toddys and maybe some of that tension and pain will go away. all you have to do is make it from the car to the pool to the bar. maybe a little keroke or hokey pokey.

Carmen H on 9/19/01 at 07:47 (060925)

Did you use a wrist glove?
I ask b/c I got one (prevention of CTS I had early signs) and don't want to suggest where if you sell them. hee hee
I'm picking on you.....
We need a litle humor around here huh?
Let's pick on Scott!

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 07:58 (060927)

Carmen, welcome to my favorite game. It will be nice to have a partner in rime.

wendyn on 9/19/01 at 08:02 (060928)

And that's a nice typo. I would like to have a partner in crime. Not in rhyme or in rime.

I need my coffee.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 09:16 (060930)

Thanks so much - will try all. Wear splints and they hae GREATLY reduced my flexibility. There was a time when the right was completely frozen. Any motion irritates them. First five minutes of typing are fine, but then the burning can spread all the way up to my neck. Miserable hell.

Does the cherry juice have sugar in it. Thanks. Lefty.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 09:19 (060931)

No, I completely misuse crutches putting most of my weight on my underarms. I can even carry stuff while I crutch around. I suppose the nerves under my arms will explode next.

I am in such a bad mood today... seems like I will never get better. B.

JudyS on 9/19/01 at 10:12 (060932)

Hi TexBarb - my chiropractor works on my elbows, lower arms and wrists - and, of course, my feet! I agree that using the splints during typing is not all that comfortable. Better just to do all else, use the splints at night and take typing breaks.
I haven't tried the cherry juice, but on the baseball/softball fields they call me Lefty.....does that count?

Re: make me laugh

CArmen on 9/19/01 at 11:26 (060941)

You make me laugh. coffee....I think I need it to.
Scott...look out!

Carmen on 9/19/01 at 11:31 (060942)

Have you looked into any of the site I posted information on CTS from? They are on the treatment board...I really looked into it (I am preventing it b/c I know my body is prone to PROBLEMS much like yours I guess).
I do the stretch (first thing in the morning and many times during the day)
where you link your fingers together and stretch them palms up toward the ceiling. That one feels good and has helped so far.
also I only wear the splint while typing b/c they recommend taking it off and rotating your wrists to keepthe muscle from atrophying. sounds like common knowledge I know but helped me so far....
Just some ideas.
I understand your bad mood. when I am in those 'funks' I take time OUT. Much like a kid..but I put myself there. Lay on my back and breathe and relax for a few minutes.
helps clear my mind. The mantra 'I will get better, I will get better'
helps too...but only on the SEMI-crappy days. ha
Chin up.
You have a fellow sufferer who understands constant all over nerve pain.
Mines in my glutes and hamstrings and back.yikes.

Beverly on 9/19/01 at 12:30 (060946)

Barbara,

Thank you for asking about me. My feet are holding their own... ditto on ankles. I had a setback about a month ago. But this past week or so, I feel like I've mostly bounced back from the setback, and I've returned to where I was before the setback. I had an MRI about 2 weeks ago (ankles). Still have not heard from the doc on results... called yesterday and today to try to get info. But no news feels like good news. I figure if my ankles had shown something alarming, doc's office would have called me right away.

I'm enjoying the MLA course I'm taking... an especially good diversion with all that has been happening lately in our country. And mentally, I think I've adjusted (mostly) to the life changes PF/PTT/AT have brought. I guess you could say I've made peace with it. Of course, I am still working towards recovery.

Trying to loose weight... seems to be my hardest quest... sticking to it. Twenty pounds would make such a difference since I'm only somewhat overweight. I think I keep gaining and loosing the same 5-7 pounds.

One other thing I do for the wrists. I try to make sure I don't clutch the mouse. I've caught myself holding onto the thing like it was the 'clutch' on a car! I've learned to be very gentle with my mouse.

Best wishes,
Beverly

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:32 (060958)

Barb: there is three varieties of cherry juice concentrate i have tried. Beans and Grains carry two and i ordered the one that either scott or julie mentioned. They are all natural. The two in beans and grains were sweet enough for me to just mix with water and tastes great. The larger bottle i ordered really needed some sweetner of sorts for my taste. I tried just gulping it straight from the bottle but i do not like that. to much like cough syrup. my wife bought a bottle of cranberry extract and i not knowing picked it up and took a gulp and thought i would surely die. that stuff is so bitter there is not enough sugar in the world to make it taste good. This reminds as i type of another adventure when i was in high school. I developed my own photo prints and kept my developing solution in a ginger ale bottle. my mother unknowingly placed it in the frig. after a big night out with the gang. i walked in and took a big swig of developer and knew i was going to die. my mother, a nurse, had me drink all the milk that was in the refrigerator and eat a loaf of bread. moral do not gulp anything espically developing liquid.

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:36 (060959)

barb: you are surely aware of the downside of putting that weight under your arms. you can do some serious nerve damage as their are some critical nerves in that area which poses the question could this be part of the wrist problem? most booklets on the use of crutches warns of the possible nerve damage when using them as you describe. if you have a little red wagon then bring it to new jersey and i will be glad to pull you around.

john h on 9/19/01 at 13:38 (060960)

carmen: add to your manatra barbs mantra 'have a molson, have a molson'!

john h on 9/19/01 at 17:17 (060983)

A couple of things i was reading today Barb about repetative wrist injuries: (1) never have your elbows lower than your wrist when typing and they said 'NEVER'. (2) Do not use a wrist rest when typing. only use it when resting your wrist. (3) Make sure you have the best ergonomic chair (high back) that you can afford.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:18 (060993)

You have put your finger on the hardest thing - taking weight off while sedentary. Very hard to do... do I remember you lying on your back, doing an air-crawl??? I resort to that sometimes, so I won't go NUTS.

Glad that you are holding steady, and that MRI might be interesting. I haven't made my peace with my limitations, but I know I'm making progress. Finally off every drug, just accepting the fact that I just have to cry sometimes. But, it is controllable.

You are right about the mouse. I am a clutcher. Must stop that now!! B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:22 (060994)

LORD I am doing everything wrong!!! My elbows are practically on the floor as we speak. We'll invest bigtime in my desk this weekend. Got back the money that the guv'ment 'borrowed' from us today. B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:25 (060996)

Carmen thanks. You are such an encouraging, cheery person. I will try to find that link to CTS...

I was never prone to anything before 2 years ago, then the feet went out of the blue, leaving a trail of hurting body parts in their wake.

'I will get better.' Now to believe it. B.

Barbara TX on 9/19/01 at 18:50 (061003)

I want the most sour brand possible, with the least amount of sugar. I hope it helps... I am so blue that even polishing my bedside picture of Dick Cheney could not pick me up from the dumps.

Did you see him on the tube with GB today? He is the coolest cucumber I know in politics, with no annoying tendency to emotionally manipulate people with his language. He also operates from a secret bunker, and you know how a man with a secret bunker flutters the heart of TXBabs.

I do believe that I have lost my mind. B.

JudyS on 9/19/01 at 19:22 (061006)

Babs, you're right - you HAVE lost your mind! We need to break you of that horrid Cheney thing right now! It's freaking me out!
I will list here the first step in what will, within 24 hours, become the heelspurs.com 12-step program for ridding one's self of a Cheney-like obsession.
I invite others to add to the list - let's pull together here, folks, Babs REALLY needs us!

STEP 1 - Replace Cheney photo with Costner photo
STEP 2 - ?

john h on 9/19/01 at 21:33 (061018)

hey barb: i used to work in a secret bunker! ever hear of Cheyenne Mountain? betch you scott has? he may have even been there. now that is a bunker. forget cheney! if you are into bunkers 'I will take you there'!

john h on 9/19/01 at 21:34 (061019)

i sent her my picture. that did not help! how about Boy George?

scott r on 9/19/01 at 22:05 (061022)

wrist splints made a drammatic improvement when I wore them when sleeping. i sleep on my arms and apparently that was causing some harm. the black cherry concentrate is loaded with sugar. one more depressing piece of advice that will do me and the website harm if you follow it: never post again.

Lisa C on 9/20/01 at 00:37 (061027)

If you like a man with grey hair. Look at one of the old Seinfeld episodes with Elaines boss 'J. Peterman' in it!

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:36 (061066)

Too tall and not nearly bald enough. B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:39 (061067)

Cheyenne mountain...iIs that where NORAD is? B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:47 (061069)

By Boy George, do you mean Pres. Bush? He is way too young for me. I like old, old, old, and the chance that he could tip over with a major coronary episode at any moment only adds to his allure.

Check him out at http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/

Behold the seat of power. B.

Barbara TX on 9/20/01 at 12:51 (061071)

A break would do me good... but I took a 2 month break last time and it did SQUAT. When I go for my next surgery (28th). I will take another break for a week. My splints are a total necessity at night. I sleep with my hands under my body and they curl up until they are stone numb. I frighten myself when my inert hands touch my face at night. Creeps me out. B.

Nancy N on 9/20/01 at 16:25 (061084)

How about Patrick Stewart, then?

john h on 9/20/01 at 16:39 (061086)

barb: you are right on! that is where NORAD is and you can bet your heart throb dick cheney has been there many times. No bigger bunker that i am aware of.

john h on 9/20/01 at 16:41 (061088)

Barb: come to think of it; NORAD that is guy type talk. you must have been listening to Scott or something.

nancy s. on 9/20/01 at 19:12 (061101)

how about that biker-type guy who's governor of minnesota? why can't i remember his name? he doesn't have any hair that i've ever seen, barb -- might be just your kind of guy!

john h on 9/20/01 at 21:55 (061107)

nancy dear: jessee ventura (the body)

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:48 (061155)

I don't think that he would prefer me... thought he had an 'alternatie lifestyle.' B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:54 (061156)

I took interrest in DC from the beginning of this. He is the brain who designed the presidential succession procedures during the Ford administration. No way was he really at Camp David this past week - his mama didn't raise no fool. Probably at an 'undisclosed' location (how romantic) and the Camp David locale leaked to press. He was mysteriously absent from the address to congress last night, and was most likely enjoying a Molson in the secret bunker.

He is the only man I know whose absence is even fonder than his presence. B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 10:58 (061158)

Nancy N - Nice to see you post again!!!!! B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 11:00 (061159)

Jesse Ventura is a barbarian. DC is the apex of all civility. B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 11:01 (061160)

Sorry my 'V' key is sort of on the fritz. Loe you all, B.

john h on 9/21/01 at 13:42 (061172)

barb: it is not jesse the barbarian ventura it jesse the body ventura. we do not elect wrestlers to high office in Arkansas we have delivered to you Bill and Hillary and Wilbur Mills (of Fanny Fox fame), and William Fulbright.

wendyn on 9/21/01 at 14:07 (061175)

I thought that he and the president would be in different places for security reasons.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 14:13 (061176)

Didn't Arkansas also give us the famous Huey Long? OR was that Alabama? John, I hear that you are volunteering to help build the Clinton Library in Little Rock. Lift with the legs.

Obviously, it is Cheney's mind I'm interested in, but the big blue eyes don't hurt. When he comes on the tube Scott lets me know by saying 'Hey, there's your boyfriend.' B.

Barbara TX on 9/21/01 at 14:20 (061177)

Yes, they are, especially during crucial moments and general assembly. His was not a mysterious absence, you are right. Only the location was undisclosed. Actually, he was at my house having a Molson, asking me what he should do about this mess. You dragged it out of me. B.

nancy s. on 9/21/01 at 14:25 (061179)

from what i've seen of you in pics, barb, you and jesse would make a most interesting couple. i just don't see you with cheney, except for the glasses.

phil and i stopped in hope, arkansas. we visited a diner and the clinton library, the only two places open. some of the nicest people we've ever met.

john h on 9/21/01 at 15:11 (061182)

Old Huey Long was from the Pelican State Barb and that would be the great state of LA.

nancy s. on 9/21/01 at 15:14 (061183)

we blew out a tire on a road along a bayou in louisiana. very beautiful spot to break down.

Lisa C on 9/21/01 at 15:18 (061184)

Please, please be talking about Jesse and not 'my' J. Peterman. P.S. He could shave his head, and can a guy really be too tall?? I'm 5'8' so its hard to beleive. Too many memories of slow dancing (bent over) at those Jr. High dances before the boys started to grow!

Nancy N on 9/21/01 at 16:46 (061193)

Coulda fooled me, he's been married twice!!

Nancy N on 9/21/01 at 17:06 (061195)

Nah, she's talking about Patrick Stewart, my suggestion. I have to agree with you, Lisa, John O'Hurley would not be a bad candidate, either!

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 12:39 (061266)

I really never danced much at the proms... I was on the student council, and so I was responsible for hiring the bands, and I usually hung out with them backstage and smoking cigarettes with them when the nuns weren't looking. Now I hang my head in shame. I liked to be running things from the background and nobody knows who or where I am, like my boyfriend DC. B.

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 12:42 (061267)

Whoops! My mistake. I outed Captian Picard! I saw PS on a PBS show about gay people, but perhaps he is not himself gay. Oh, this is a silly thread. None of my business anyway.

Thank you Nancy, for helping me keep this option open. Do you have his phone #? B.

Nancy N on 9/22/01 at 13:00 (061268)

Barb, I'm glad to have cleared up that little bit of confusion. I know he has played at least one gay character, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

Don't have his phone number, sorry--if I did, you can bet I'd have used it before now.

Got another idea for you, though. Silly idea on a silly thread, but that is the mood that I am in. Have you considered Martin Sheen, upon whom I could probably be said to have a little crush myself? After all, look at the comparison:

--DC is 60. MS is 61.

--Both have blue eyes (though I'd rather look at Martin's m'self. And his smile is infinitely superior).

--I don't know how tall DC is, but MS is 5'7', so he should not be too tall for you (though at your height, I am not sure why that's a problem anyway...)

--DC is VP. MS is not, but he does play the Prez on TV (and his writers are better, IMHO). And many people wish he would run for office.

--DC is bald (not completely, though). MS is not, but as an actor should have access to good stage makeup, if the hairline is a big issue for you.

--DC may fall over from a heart attack at any moment. (Don't ask me why this is a turn-on for you...) MS is in pretty good health, but he does get arrested pretty often, so perhaps you could find the same rush there?

--I have no idea what religion DC is, though I would guess some sort of Protestant denomination. MS is a devout Catholic, which might be attractive to you as well.

That's just what I've come up with so far... I just know you'll be able to see the light clearly on this one, Barb--if not, hit those gin gimlets and call me in the morning. And yes, I freely admit that I am biased on this one. I live for The West Wing. And my best friend, who now lives in DC, has promised me a 'Martin Sheen is My President' T-shirt, which you can apparently buy there... Martin Sheen rocks.

;)

Barbara TX on 9/22/01 at 15:10 (061279)

I saw PS on a program called 'In the Life,' latenight PBS. He just did a spot, being himself, as did Jason Alexander. You get sort of confused.

I am taking MS under advisement, but I have not seen him on the West Wing - ever! The most I watch is PBS and political stuff, sometimes reruns of Friends and Frasier when the kids are in bed.

Come to think of it, I never saw Sheen in anything, if you can believe it. Only his sons. Research pending.

I suppose it will be best to leave my bedside portrait of Cheney at home while I travel, because I need to travel lightly. If you hear weeping in the night, disregard it. B.

Nancy N on 9/22/01 at 15:22 (061282)

If you haven't ever seen The West Wing, what are you waiting for?? Ever see The American President? He's good in that, too. If you watch Apocalypse Now, you may find yourself confused because that movie is old enough that he looks like both of his kids--different light or camera angles and suddenly you think it's Charlie, and then a minute later he looks like Emilio. Messed with my head when I saw it last year, almost as much as the movie itself!

Anyway, season premiere of TWW is Wednesday at 9.

Alan Rickman might be another suggestion.... more later, heading out to the movies.

JudyS on 9/22/01 at 16:42 (061287)

OK ladies, here's the scoop of the day; FORGET DC, forget PS, forget MS, forget even my treasured KevinC......we have a new boy on the block and I got my first gander at him in his 'civvies' just the other night....check out a San Diego Padres game when you can and feast your eyes on their manager, Bruce Bochey. Humma. Sorry Kev baby, you've been replaced :)