Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planning for events requiring walking

Posted by Jenzilla on 9/18/01 at 13:38 (060859)

I'm very new to PF. I used the persistant heel pain I've had all summer as an excuse to make an appointment with my new doctor (even though I didn't think the pain was important). I got lucky - turns out he's also a team doctor for a local sports team and he immediately took it more seriously than I had been.

So now I'm finally taking care of it, and it seems to be a little better. Unfortunately, I was already planning on going to the Texas Renaissance Festival next month which will require walking around all weekend. I don't know if my heel will be entirely better by then. I suspect that it will ALMOST be fine, then I'm going to mess it all up again. I've read so much about doing permanent damage that it's got me all worried. Is there anything extra I can do at the event to help protect my heel? If I know in advance that all that walking might hurt it, am I playing with fire and risking long term damage, or am I just worrying too much?

Re: Planning for events requiring walking

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 13:54 (060863)

Jenzilla, depending on your pain level - and point in recovery...you may want to consider;

Renting a wheelchair if necessary
Use of a cane
Taping your feet
Bringing a small fold up chair or stool around with you
Lots of icing

Be wary of the pain masking effects of anti-inflammatories..pay attention to your feet.

And - enjoy yourself.

I have always been a strong believer in NOT allowing this to stop your enjoyment of life.

I feel that way now, more than ever.

CatherineL on 9/19/01 at 08:10 (060929)

Hi,

I've been fighting this for over a year and have not let this stop me and have gone to special events. I'm careful to do as little walking as possible and to sit every chance I get, but still suffer for a couple of days after.

As posted, taping and icing are also things that will help you get through the day. Taping was the most important for me.

I don't feel the events have hindered my progress over-all, but I did suffer more over the next few days.

Hope this helps.
Catherine

Jenzilla on 9/19/01 at 10:18 (060933)

Thanks for your replies. I think I've been reading too many horror stories about PF that have been scaring me silly. I've started taping and icing now and that does make more of a difference than I expected it to.

And I'm so INCREDIBLY frustrated at not being able to go for walks at all! At least my dog doesn't seem as bothered by it as I am, he's just as happy lounging at home. I guess I should start using his attitude as a role model, lol!

john h on 9/19/01 at 12:57 (060951)

i would suggest taping your foot according to scotts methods on this board. if you should be better in one week it would be nothing less than a miracle. 3 days on your feet is not going to help. be sure to ice a couple of times a day if you can.

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 13:54 (060863)

Jenzilla, depending on your pain level - and point in recovery...you may want to consider;

Renting a wheelchair if necessary
Use of a cane
Taping your feet
Bringing a small fold up chair or stool around with you
Lots of icing

Be wary of the pain masking effects of anti-inflammatories..pay attention to your feet.

And - enjoy yourself.

I have always been a strong believer in NOT allowing this to stop your enjoyment of life.

I feel that way now, more than ever.

CatherineL on 9/19/01 at 08:10 (060929)

Hi,

I've been fighting this for over a year and have not let this stop me and have gone to special events. I'm careful to do as little walking as possible and to sit every chance I get, but still suffer for a couple of days after.

As posted, taping and icing are also things that will help you get through the day. Taping was the most important for me.

I don't feel the events have hindered my progress over-all, but I did suffer more over the next few days.

Hope this helps.
Catherine

Jenzilla on 9/19/01 at 10:18 (060933)

Thanks for your replies. I think I've been reading too many horror stories about PF that have been scaring me silly. I've started taping and icing now and that does make more of a difference than I expected it to.

And I'm so INCREDIBLY frustrated at not being able to go for walks at all! At least my dog doesn't seem as bothered by it as I am, he's just as happy lounging at home. I guess I should start using his attitude as a role model, lol!

john h on 9/19/01 at 12:57 (060951)

i would suggest taping your foot according to scotts methods on this board. if you should be better in one week it would be nothing less than a miracle. 3 days on your feet is not going to help. be sure to ice a couple of times a day if you can.