Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel

Posted by Tracey A on 9/18/01 at 21:48 (060908)

Dear Doctors,
I've posted before on many occasions. I had surgery twice for Planterfascia and never recovered. The doctors cut nerves and blood vessels in my foot. A 3rd doctor said it was permanent. I decided to go to a 4th doctor. He had me take the nerve entrapment test and today I found out I have Tarsal Tunnel and need surgery again. My question is: Are these 2 problems contacted in any way? I'm so tired of my foot problems. I wish the doctors had been more honest on what could possible go wrong, I know I would have never had the first surgery. This new doctor was upfront and honest. He said it may work completely or not at all. I could get some what better. Please any advise will help.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 22:34 (060910)

Tracey,
That's a lot of surgery on one little foot. I think you need to slow it down a little before you hand over your feet again. There is a lot of research you need to do first. I believe Scott has information in his book on TTs so you should start there first. There is also a link on his TTS board to another TTS site which also has good information. There is good information on the web too. Different medical journals and abstracts that you can read as well as articles in Podiatry Today. It will take you some time, but you should know everything you can before submitting to another surgery.

From information I have read and the posts I have followed on this board it appears to me that a lot of TTS shows up after having had P.F. surgery. You certainly need to have a good diagnosis too. A visit to a neurologist should be in your immediate future if you haven't already been to see one. You need to find out which nerve or nerves are involved. No surgery is without risks and no one guarantees you will be pain free afterward. Something I've observed over several months on this board is that one surgery on the foot almost always leads to another and so on.

The foot is a complex part of the body. Maybe more than you ever realized. Good luck in your research on TTS.

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 23:00 (060911)

Tracey - Pauline has given you some very good advice. I agree with everyting she has suggested - but I'd also add that if you haven't had one...a complete medical work up is in order...blood tests for diabets, rhematoid arthritis, lupus, thyroid etc. It's important to confirm that the problem is really in your foot (feet) and only in your foot (feet)

Pauline on 9/18/01 at 22:34 (060910)

Tracey,
That's a lot of surgery on one little foot. I think you need to slow it down a little before you hand over your feet again. There is a lot of research you need to do first. I believe Scott has information in his book on TTs so you should start there first. There is also a link on his TTS board to another TTS site which also has good information. There is good information on the web too. Different medical journals and abstracts that you can read as well as articles in Podiatry Today. It will take you some time, but you should know everything you can before submitting to another surgery.

From information I have read and the posts I have followed on this board it appears to me that a lot of TTS shows up after having had P.F. surgery. You certainly need to have a good diagnosis too. A visit to a neurologist should be in your immediate future if you haven't already been to see one. You need to find out which nerve or nerves are involved. No surgery is without risks and no one guarantees you will be pain free afterward. Something I've observed over several months on this board is that one surgery on the foot almost always leads to another and so on.

The foot is a complex part of the body. Maybe more than you ever realized. Good luck in your research on TTS.

wendyn on 9/18/01 at 23:00 (060911)

Tracey - Pauline has given you some very good advice. I agree with everyting she has suggested - but I'd also add that if you haven't had one...a complete medical work up is in order...blood tests for diabets, rhematoid arthritis, lupus, thyroid etc. It's important to confirm that the problem is really in your foot (feet) and only in your foot (feet)