Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Took the first step on getting more public awareness....

Posted by Carmen on 9/19/01 at 16:29 (060979)

I made a call to Discovery Health Channel tonight and inquired about getting PF some exposure on TV....we'll see what happens. I will probably write them a letter as well and possibly call back again if need be.
They are submitting my proposal to the people who do the topic decisions so cross fingers.

Re: Took the first step on getting more public awareness....

Necee on 9/19/01 at 18:16 (060992)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for taking that first step on behalf of all who suffer with PF.
I'm wondering if we could get a petition started or possibly those of us willing to get involved could make phone calls and write letters also.
If you have an address or phone number post them so we can voice our suggestions to the producers as well. If more people bring this to their attention I believe they will listen.
I agree with you, there needs to be more public awareness of this chronic condition.
Thanks,
Necee

Re: EVERYONE CALL THIS NUMBER

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:49 (061036)

I think the best thing to do is to call Discovery Health directly. They take calls (it's an actual person) and they listen to what you want to present. If enough people call in with their story the decision maker will have too many stories on PF to ignore. Make sure you tell them PF and other foot problems related to that condition so they will include things like, TTS, Mortons Neuroma, Heel spurs. etc. You can write as well. Here is the information.

Phone: 888-404-5969
Email: letters@discovery.com

Re: Public figure needed

BrianG on 9/20/01 at 08:34 (061043)

Carmen, this is an excellent idea. I think this is where a celebrity or public figure would be a big help. Who can help us???? I know Mayor Guiliani is more than busy these days. He would have been a perfect spokeperson.

BCG

PS Hey Celeb, I know your out there reading this. It's time to step forward!

Scott R on 9/20/01 at 16:40 (061087)

What's the purpose of 'discovery health'?

Re: What do you mean?

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:38 (061131)

The purpose? I don't understand the question. Discovery Health is a major cable channel that focuses on health problems, surgeries, treatments, a TON of topics that have to do with medicine. They recently did an hour on feet and the problems associated with the wrong shoes, bad gaits etc but did a VERY poor job of covering anything else (PF heelspurs, TTS, etc). MAinly it was about women suffering fomr wearing bad shoes. HELL we all knew that didn't we?
Anyway they are open to topics and ideas from the general public as far as what is important to educate the world about.
Is that what you were wondering?
Don't you have Discovery Health?

http://www.discoveryhealth.com

Re: Hi Brian

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:41 (061132)

Actually you know what I was thinking....in addition to a celebrity Dr.Z and Dr. Ed and maybe even Scott would be great spokesman for education the public. They are involved with US and know the problems inside and out.
Enough people need to get involved though....not too many posts so far I se in regards to this post....

Re: Hi Carmen

Tammie on 9/21/01 at 08:26 (061133)

I am going to call also! Think every little bit might help people, it surly can not hurt! I am so happy that you are 'doing ' something
about getting it in the open! At least people might know what is involved in this horrible silence problem! Thank you for being on it!
Hugggggggssssssssssssss

Re: Tammie

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 08:30 (061134)

I'll do my best....this seems small compared the the other things I have managed to accomplish.
Heck I had a lawyer slam the door in my face one time....I am sure he hated it when I called him back 30 minutes later...determined to talk to him.
love a challenge.

Re: PF and SSD

BrianG on 9/22/01 at 19:58 (061302)

I'd like to see PF be recognized by the Social Security Disabilty people. Is that too much to ask? I'm counting on you Carmen :*)

BCG

Re: HELPPPPPPP!!!

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 20:36 (061305)

Pressure pressure pressure!!!
Let's see what we can do about the recognition part first...
:-)

Re: Need more help here guys...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 20:37 (061306)

Has anyone else called the numbers or written to Disc. Health?
Letters might be better so it's on writing...I am going to write an email letter as well.

Re: Took the first step on getting more public awareness....

Necee on 9/19/01 at 18:16 (060992)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for taking that first step on behalf of all who suffer with PF.
I'm wondering if we could get a petition started or possibly those of us willing to get involved could make phone calls and write letters also.
If you have an address or phone number post them so we can voice our suggestions to the producers as well. If more people bring this to their attention I believe they will listen.
I agree with you, there needs to be more public awareness of this chronic condition.
Thanks,
Necee

Carmen H on 9/20/01 at 07:49 (061036)

I think the best thing to do is to call Discovery Health directly. They take calls (it's an actual person) and they listen to what you want to present. If enough people call in with their story the decision maker will have too many stories on PF to ignore. Make sure you tell them PF and other foot problems related to that condition so they will include things like, TTS, Mortons Neuroma, Heel spurs. etc. You can write as well. Here is the information.

Phone: 888-404-5969
Email: letters@discovery.com

Re: Public figure needed

BrianG on 9/20/01 at 08:34 (061043)

Carmen, this is an excellent idea. I think this is where a celebrity or public figure would be a big help. Who can help us???? I know Mayor Guiliani is more than busy these days. He would have been a perfect spokeperson.

BCG

PS Hey Celeb, I know your out there reading this. It's time to step forward!

Scott R on 9/20/01 at 16:40 (061087)

What's the purpose of 'discovery health'?

Re: What do you mean?

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:38 (061131)

The purpose? I don't understand the question. Discovery Health is a major cable channel that focuses on health problems, surgeries, treatments, a TON of topics that have to do with medicine. They recently did an hour on feet and the problems associated with the wrong shoes, bad gaits etc but did a VERY poor job of covering anything else (PF heelspurs, TTS, etc). MAinly it was about women suffering fomr wearing bad shoes. HELL we all knew that didn't we?
Anyway they are open to topics and ideas from the general public as far as what is important to educate the world about.
Is that what you were wondering?
Don't you have Discovery Health?

http://www.discoveryhealth.com

Re: Hi Brian

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:41 (061132)

Actually you know what I was thinking....in addition to a celebrity Dr.Z and Dr. Ed and maybe even Scott would be great spokesman for education the public. They are involved with US and know the problems inside and out.
Enough people need to get involved though....not too many posts so far I se in regards to this post....

Re: Hi Carmen

Tammie on 9/21/01 at 08:26 (061133)

I am going to call also! Think every little bit might help people, it surly can not hurt! I am so happy that you are 'doing ' something
about getting it in the open! At least people might know what is involved in this horrible silence problem! Thank you for being on it!
Hugggggggssssssssssssss

Re: Tammie

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 08:30 (061134)

I'll do my best....this seems small compared the the other things I have managed to accomplish.
Heck I had a lawyer slam the door in my face one time....I am sure he hated it when I called him back 30 minutes later...determined to talk to him.
love a challenge.

Re: PF and SSD

BrianG on 9/22/01 at 19:58 (061302)

I'd like to see PF be recognized by the Social Security Disabilty people. Is that too much to ask? I'm counting on you Carmen :*)

BCG

Re: HELPPPPPPP!!!

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 20:36 (061305)

Pressure pressure pressure!!!
Let's see what we can do about the recognition part first...
:-)

Re: Need more help here guys...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 20:37 (061306)

Has anyone else called the numbers or written to Disc. Health?
Letters might be better so it's on writing...I am going to write an email letter as well.