Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am now 5 days post op....

Posted by Paula G. on 9/19/01 at 17:28 (060984)

I don't know all the fancy names but I am now five days post op. I had the heel spur taken care of, I had a partial release of the fascia and I am told there was some nerve that was being compressed by the heel spur too.
I am doing fine. I was shocked when I went to the doctor yesterday and the size of the incision! I am using crutches and taking my good pain medication. They had me up bearing weight the same day of the surgery with use of the crutches of course. They told me it will help scar tissue not to form.
I wish I knew more. My foot is still numb. Has anyone ever had that?
All in all I feel better than before the surgery. I hope to get rid of crutches within the next few weeks. Thank you everyone for the e-mail and support you have shown me through all this and with the difficult decision I had to make to have the surgery.
I am very fortunate to have a husband who is doing everything here at home. My job is to just relax, sleep and heal. I know that has a lot to do with my feeling better.

Re: I am now 5 days post op....

john h on 9/19/01 at 18:00 (060986)

paula if he did a tts at same time of pf release you will have a very long scar. mine is approximately 6' long.

Pauline on 9/19/01 at 18:42 (061002)

Paula,
Five days post-op and the foot still numb would worry me too. I'm not a doctor, but this seems like a long time unless you mean your pain meds are taking care of your pain rather than the actual foot being numb. If it's truly numb, swollen tissue constricting a nerve could possibly be the cause. Although 5 days seem like a long time you have a long way to go before your completely healed. Let's hope it's just due to swelling.
Make sure you contact your doctor. Just because your surgery is complete doesn't mean he should close your file. Your treatment by him isn't complete until you are well or change doctors. Keep us posted and good luck with your recovery.

Valerie S on 9/20/01 at 00:17 (061025)

Glad to hear that you are doing okay, Paula. I know you have been through a lot, and I'm sure you're on the road to recovery now! Good luck and I hope you feel right as rain again soon.

Your friend, Val.

john h on 9/20/01 at 09:40 (061047)

i would be concerned with numbness but not overly alarmed. numbness after many surgeries of all types often leave patients with some numbness while the nerves heal or regenerate. my wife mary had numbness in her chest wall for many months after her surgery but it eventually disappered. I had considerable numbness in my neck after a surgical procedure. It took some months for this to disappear. Of course, talk to your doctor but do not panic.

Paula G. on 9/21/01 at 18:05 (061201)

Yes, thanks I am doing okay. Just beginning the journey of another chapter of my life. Now the long process of healing. I am trying very hard to be a real good compliant patient and do all I am told to do so I can heal better and more quickly.
Still on crutches, but with minimal weight bearing.

john h on 9/19/01 at 18:00 (060986)

paula if he did a tts at same time of pf release you will have a very long scar. mine is approximately 6' long.

Pauline on 9/19/01 at 18:42 (061002)

Paula,
Five days post-op and the foot still numb would worry me too. I'm not a doctor, but this seems like a long time unless you mean your pain meds are taking care of your pain rather than the actual foot being numb. If it's truly numb, swollen tissue constricting a nerve could possibly be the cause. Although 5 days seem like a long time you have a long way to go before your completely healed. Let's hope it's just due to swelling.
Make sure you contact your doctor. Just because your surgery is complete doesn't mean he should close your file. Your treatment by him isn't complete until you are well or change doctors. Keep us posted and good luck with your recovery.

Valerie S on 9/20/01 at 00:17 (061025)

Glad to hear that you are doing okay, Paula. I know you have been through a lot, and I'm sure you're on the road to recovery now! Good luck and I hope you feel right as rain again soon.

Your friend, Val.

john h on 9/20/01 at 09:40 (061047)

i would be concerned with numbness but not overly alarmed. numbness after many surgeries of all types often leave patients with some numbness while the nerves heal or regenerate. my wife mary had numbness in her chest wall for many months after her surgery but it eventually disappered. I had considerable numbness in my neck after a surgical procedure. It took some months for this to disappear. Of course, talk to your doctor but do not panic.

Paula G. on 9/21/01 at 18:05 (061201)

Yes, thanks I am doing okay. Just beginning the journey of another chapter of my life. Now the long process of healing. I am trying very hard to be a real good compliant patient and do all I am told to do so I can heal better and more quickly.
Still on crutches, but with minimal weight bearing.