Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cerviceal epidural

Posted by Jana on 9/20/01 at 16:50 (061090)

I have bilateral TTS (pf...) and bilateral RSI (repetative strain injury affecting arms, nerve and tendon related). In other words I have nerve pain in all extremities following an identical pain pattern. One chronic pain doc wants to do a series of cervical (spine in neck) epidural injections saying usually, for people that have bilateral injuries, the source is the spine and the cure is the spine. ...even more indicative that I have both feet and both hands involved.
Anyone ever heard anything about this? ... This is the first I've heard of it...

Re: cerviceal epidural

wendyn on 9/20/01 at 22:18 (061111)

Jena, I have not heard of this treatment specifically - but I am familiar with the principle.

I am assuming that you have been through full testing to ensure that you are not in fact suffering from a systemic problem that would cause your neuropathy (diabetes, low B12). Do the doctors know what is causing your problems?

Although we (the folks here) may be of limited information on something like this - you may find some good info at http://www.neuropathy.org - have you checked out their website and BB?

Re: Jana..welcome to my world

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:31 (061129)

Hi Jana~
You mirror my symtpoms almost exactly. I TOO have bilateral nerve pain in my extremities and have been on a mission for help (you can read my posts all over talking about the steps oftrying to find the cause of my pain).
A couple questions:
What type of doctor are you seeing?
WHERE exactly is your pain? (glutes, L5 disc, hamstrings etc)
Have you been in PT at all?
Have you had Xrays?
MRI's?
Have you seen a neurologist?
Are you doing ANY type of exercises?
How do you feel in GENERAL? (flu like symptoms, tired, anxious etc)
What type of work do you do?
Who diagnosed you with TTS and RTS?
Do you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Do you ahve burning or tingling sensations in your feet and hands?
Does your Ulnar (funny bone area) nerve bother you?
Do you wear a brace to work on the computer?
What are you taking (vitamins, OTC, Scripts)?
Do you go to a Chiropractor? ( if so I strongly suggest you go with conservative treatment first)

I ask b/c your explanation of your pain is is exactly like mine from your brief decription and I have REALLY looked into this and may have some good information for you.
You can write me at carmenfh@worldnet.att.net if you are interested in comparing pain notes.....

Jana on 9/21/01 at 21:09 (061219)

I am not diabetic and do not have a B12 deficiency according to the test I have undergone so far. (There have been many with no tangible results) I will check out the website that you referred me to. Thanks for your information.

wendyn on 9/21/01 at 21:47 (061221)

Carmen, just thought you'd be interested, I have similar symptoms. In addition to bilateral TTS, I've been diagnosed with mild carpal tunnel, and I have problems with my ulnar nerves. Quite often I wake up with my baby fingers and lower arms completely asleep. Drives me nuts.

I have gone through 2 sets of nerve conduction tests - and I seem okay.

I did have low B12 and I do take supplements.

I've also been diagnosed with RSD - and I also have some similar pelvic/lower back problems like you do.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.

That - and the desider to pick on Scott.

Re: What types...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 07:52 (061231)

What types of pelvic and lower back problems are you having? I may be able to send you in a direction for preventing anything WORSE from happening there.....I do know that if you have pelvic probs and it's associated with lower back weakness (and AB weakness) it will morethan likely get worse.
I posted several things on CTS and nerves and there were some good sites for controlling the CTS and night problems.
I have kept my CTS symptoms (not sure if that's what I have yet) under control by REALLY stretching. Also wearing a wrist brace helps tremendously as long as it's not worn too long.
Isn't that Ulnar nerve a pain? Ugh it makes my skin crawl when it's acting up. A Constant funny bone pain!!!!!
Anyway...keep me posted on your other issues (back and pelvic) trust me it is not something you want to get worse. B/c no only will standing be awful but sitting down is TORTURE after 5 minutes. I am like a rabbit hopping up out of my desk chair every 2-3 minutes.
I have to or the rest of the day is hell for me.
Scott better watch himself I am a professional Smarta$#!
ha ha

Re: One more thing

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 07:55 (061232)

One thing is that if your pain is bilateral it is more than likely coming from somewhere else.....this is what I have been finding.

Re: Jana...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 16:56 (061290)

I left you a message this morning at the number you gave me. I hope you got it. Feel free to call me any time.

wendyn on 9/20/01 at 22:18 (061111)

Jena, I have not heard of this treatment specifically - but I am familiar with the principle.

I am assuming that you have been through full testing to ensure that you are not in fact suffering from a systemic problem that would cause your neuropathy (diabetes, low B12). Do the doctors know what is causing your problems?

Although we (the folks here) may be of limited information on something like this - you may find some good info at http://www.neuropathy.org - have you checked out their website and BB?

Carmen H on 9/21/01 at 07:31 (061129)

Hi Jana~
You mirror my symtpoms almost exactly. I TOO have bilateral nerve pain in my extremities and have been on a mission for help (you can read my posts all over talking about the steps oftrying to find the cause of my pain).
A couple questions:
What type of doctor are you seeing?
WHERE exactly is your pain? (glutes, L5 disc, hamstrings etc)
Have you been in PT at all?
Have you had Xrays?
MRI's?
Have you seen a neurologist?
Are you doing ANY type of exercises?
How do you feel in GENERAL? (flu like symptoms, tired, anxious etc)
What type of work do you do?
Who diagnosed you with TTS and RTS?
Do you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Do you ahve burning or tingling sensations in your feet and hands?
Does your Ulnar (funny bone area) nerve bother you?
Do you wear a brace to work on the computer?
What are you taking (vitamins, OTC, Scripts)?
Do you go to a Chiropractor? ( if so I strongly suggest you go with conservative treatment first)

I ask b/c your explanation of your pain is is exactly like mine from your brief decription and I have REALLY looked into this and may have some good information for you.
You can write me at carmenfh@worldnet.att.net if you are interested in comparing pain notes.....

Jana on 9/21/01 at 21:09 (061219)

I am not diabetic and do not have a B12 deficiency according to the test I have undergone so far. (There have been many with no tangible results) I will check out the website that you referred me to. Thanks for your information.

wendyn on 9/21/01 at 21:47 (061221)

Carmen, just thought you'd be interested, I have similar symptoms. In addition to bilateral TTS, I've been diagnosed with mild carpal tunnel, and I have problems with my ulnar nerves. Quite often I wake up with my baby fingers and lower arms completely asleep. Drives me nuts.

I have gone through 2 sets of nerve conduction tests - and I seem okay.

I did have low B12 and I do take supplements.

I've also been diagnosed with RSD - and I also have some similar pelvic/lower back problems like you do.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.

That - and the desider to pick on Scott.

Re: What types...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 07:52 (061231)

What types of pelvic and lower back problems are you having? I may be able to send you in a direction for preventing anything WORSE from happening there.....I do know that if you have pelvic probs and it's associated with lower back weakness (and AB weakness) it will morethan likely get worse.
I posted several things on CTS and nerves and there were some good sites for controlling the CTS and night problems.
I have kept my CTS symptoms (not sure if that's what I have yet) under control by REALLY stretching. Also wearing a wrist brace helps tremendously as long as it's not worn too long.
Isn't that Ulnar nerve a pain? Ugh it makes my skin crawl when it's acting up. A Constant funny bone pain!!!!!
Anyway...keep me posted on your other issues (back and pelvic) trust me it is not something you want to get worse. B/c no only will standing be awful but sitting down is TORTURE after 5 minutes. I am like a rabbit hopping up out of my desk chair every 2-3 minutes.
I have to or the rest of the day is hell for me.
Scott better watch himself I am a professional Smarta$#!
ha ha

Re: One more thing

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 07:55 (061232)

One thing is that if your pain is bilateral it is more than likely coming from somewhere else.....this is what I have been finding.

Re: Jana...

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 16:56 (061290)

I left you a message this morning at the number you gave me. I hope you got it. Feel free to call me any time.