Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

questions for Dr's or anyone?

Posted by Regina Brown on 9/20/01 at 22:33 (061114)

Hi everyone!
I read and keep up with all the postings from ALL everyday.My question is I am now 4 months post-op from having epf surgery and still having pain on the edge slightly of my heel and it is on the outer edge not inner and some soreness somewhat too.Does anyone know if this is normal and what may can be causing it---a nerve perhaps? I have tried several types of PT and it hasn't helped me any at all.Any more suggestions?! Thanks! Regina

Re: don't know but...

CArmen on 9/21/01 at 07:24 (061128)

I really couldn't tell you but are you favoring a certain part of your foot from the surgery? Are you subconciously walking on the outside of your heel to avoid stepping on the incision area?
Just a thought.

Regina Brown on 9/21/01 at 09:40 (061146)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for replying! No, I don't think that I am subconsciously walking on the outside of my heel to avoid the incision as the incision was done up a little higher and has healed completely and not a problem with it at all.My pod commented at last visit that he 'kind of' detected some neuritis in the heel now and I was curious if someone might would suggest this possiblity too and if they have had same problem and what they did for it themselves.Do you or anyone know about neuritis and how it acts if you have it?
Thanks again.Regina

Re: hmmm

CArmen on 9/21/01 at 10:01 (061147)

Only a suggestion but I use http://www.google.com to do ALL of my research. Any time I have a new pain or a new symptom I don't understand BEFORE going to the doctor I put in my symptoms (Pain In heel, Burning pain in back) nad it pulls up all kinds of GREAT information. Put the words 'Neuritis pain' or something along that order and see what turns up. I recommend reading all you can, see if you can identify with any of the symptoms and go from there. Don't be afraid to bring possibilities to your doctor. Presented in a NICE way of course. A good doctor would be pleased you are trying to work with them to find a cause for your problem. I finally found one. FINALLY! Don't think I haven't sent her a thank you card right away too!

Also I would ask your doctor what 'kind of' means? Does he or doesn't he feel neuritis?

EXHAUST your resources. Try looking at this page....
http://medhlp.netusa.net/HealthTopics/Neuropathy.html

Also:
http://www.webmd.com
http://www.discoveryhealth.com

good reseources for looking things up.

Regina Brown on 9/21/01 at 11:45 (061164)

Hi Again Carmen,
Just wanted to say Thanks Heaps for these web sites you have given me to check out and I sure will do so.
Maybe I can find some answers thru them.Doc also said something to me that I forgot to mention was there were some muscles in the heel up above the fascia that sometimes would cause a lot of pain when walking,etc.Don't know what can be done for that just yet,he wanted me to try therapy for that which I did like I commented earlier but no help.Thanks again.
Take Care! Regina

Re: questions for Dr's or anyone?

Kristine G on 9/22/01 at 12:16 (061264)

I am training for a marathon and it is in Less then 3 weeks I just started to have heel pain in my right heel. All the things that I have read about indicates that it is Plantar faciitis however the pain does not feel any different in the morning it stays the same all the time. I can still run it is not that bad but my question is will it get worse should I consider a cortisone injection? My body doesn't handle nonsteroidal anti inflamitories well at all. My Doctor says She will do it however I don't think She is a Runner and doesn't understand How important these last couple of training weeks are. Do you have any opinion On this? I have consistently Iced with moist heat intravels, Stretched, Massaged and have backed off on milage this week. Thank you

Jack W. on 9/22/01 at 13:51 (061269)

Kristine: I know how it feels to stand at the starting line of a 26.2 mile race knowing your heel is going to act up at some point during the run. Psychologically you want to feel nothing when the gun goes off. The fact that the race is only three weeks away is a good thing since you have probably done your last long run. If not I would do it tomorrow so you still have basically three weeks to recover. Since you will start tapering after your last long run with very little running in the last week, this is a positive also. I personally only run a total of about 15 miles the last week and don't run at all the two days before. In the meantime keep up the icing , stretching and massage. As far as anti inflamitories are concerned you can get a anti inflamitory cream which is advertised on this site called Dolgit Cream. I have also found massaging with Biofreeze before and after my runs helps. My doc, who is a marathon runner has given me injections but many docs don't like to do this since it may weaken the achilles tendon and cause a rupture. I have had two shots and both times the pain was eliminated for about 10 days. It could be longer or less depending on the person. Also, no running for two days after the injection. So, assuming the doc will give you a shot and you want it, if you time it right you may not feel anything on the day of the race. I am not a doctor and if it were me I wouldn't want to take any chances with the marathon after months of training, so I would see a doc who is also a runner. Sounds to me with tapering coming up and continuing to use conventional treatments you should be fine on race day. Good luck, hope you PR.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/22/01 at 14:47 (061277)

Jack:

Dolgit is an excellent product. Shots in the achilles tendon have led to achilles rupture but achilles ruptures have never occurred with shots in the plantar fascia. I would be hesitant to give a patient a shot in the plantar fascia within a few days of a marathon though.

Preferrably, all of the causes of plantar fasciitis in a patient are carefully examined and dealt with so that the level of comfort experienced actually reflects the amount of inflammation present.
Ed

CArmen on 9/21/01 at 07:24 (061128)

I really couldn't tell you but are you favoring a certain part of your foot from the surgery? Are you subconciously walking on the outside of your heel to avoid stepping on the incision area?
Just a thought.

Regina Brown on 9/21/01 at 09:40 (061146)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for replying! No, I don't think that I am subconsciously walking on the outside of my heel to avoid the incision as the incision was done up a little higher and has healed completely and not a problem with it at all.My pod commented at last visit that he 'kind of' detected some neuritis in the heel now and I was curious if someone might would suggest this possiblity too and if they have had same problem and what they did for it themselves.Do you or anyone know about neuritis and how it acts if you have it?
Thanks again.Regina

CArmen on 9/21/01 at 10:01 (061147)

Only a suggestion but I use http://www.google.com to do ALL of my research. Any time I have a new pain or a new symptom I don't understand BEFORE going to the doctor I put in my symptoms (Pain In heel, Burning pain in back) nad it pulls up all kinds of GREAT information. Put the words 'Neuritis pain' or something along that order and see what turns up. I recommend reading all you can, see if you can identify with any of the symptoms and go from there. Don't be afraid to bring possibilities to your doctor. Presented in a NICE way of course. A good doctor would be pleased you are trying to work with them to find a cause for your problem. I finally found one. FINALLY! Don't think I haven't sent her a thank you card right away too!

Also I would ask your doctor what 'kind of' means? Does he or doesn't he feel neuritis?

EXHAUST your resources. Try looking at this page....
http://medhlp.netusa.net/HealthTopics/Neuropathy.html

Also:
http://www.webmd.com
http://www.discoveryhealth.com

good reseources for looking things up.

Regina Brown on 9/21/01 at 11:45 (061164)

Hi Again Carmen,
Just wanted to say Thanks Heaps for these web sites you have given me to check out and I sure will do so.
Maybe I can find some answers thru them.Doc also said something to me that I forgot to mention was there were some muscles in the heel up above the fascia that sometimes would cause a lot of pain when walking,etc.Don't know what can be done for that just yet,he wanted me to try therapy for that which I did like I commented earlier but no help.Thanks again.
Take Care! Regina

Kristine G on 9/22/01 at 12:16 (061264)

I am training for a marathon and it is in Less then 3 weeks I just started to have heel pain in my right heel. All the things that I have read about indicates that it is Plantar faciitis however the pain does not feel any different in the morning it stays the same all the time. I can still run it is not that bad but my question is will it get worse should I consider a cortisone injection? My body doesn't handle nonsteroidal anti inflamitories well at all. My Doctor says She will do it however I don't think She is a Runner and doesn't understand How important these last couple of training weeks are. Do you have any opinion On this? I have consistently Iced with moist heat intravels, Stretched, Massaged and have backed off on milage this week. Thank you

Jack W. on 9/22/01 at 13:51 (061269)

Kristine: I know how it feels to stand at the starting line of a 26.2 mile race knowing your heel is going to act up at some point during the run. Psychologically you want to feel nothing when the gun goes off. The fact that the race is only three weeks away is a good thing since you have probably done your last long run. If not I would do it tomorrow so you still have basically three weeks to recover. Since you will start tapering after your last long run with very little running in the last week, this is a positive also. I personally only run a total of about 15 miles the last week and don't run at all the two days before. In the meantime keep up the icing , stretching and massage. As far as anti inflamitories are concerned you can get a anti inflamitory cream which is advertised on this site called Dolgit Cream. I have also found massaging with Biofreeze before and after my runs helps. My doc, who is a marathon runner has given me injections but many docs don't like to do this since it may weaken the achilles tendon and cause a rupture. I have had two shots and both times the pain was eliminated for about 10 days. It could be longer or less depending on the person. Also, no running for two days after the injection. So, assuming the doc will give you a shot and you want it, if you time it right you may not feel anything on the day of the race. I am not a doctor and if it were me I wouldn't want to take any chances with the marathon after months of training, so I would see a doc who is also a runner. Sounds to me with tapering coming up and continuing to use conventional treatments you should be fine on race day. Good luck, hope you PR.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/22/01 at 14:47 (061277)

Jack:

Dolgit is an excellent product. Shots in the achilles tendon have led to achilles rupture but achilles ruptures have never occurred with shots in the plantar fascia. I would be hesitant to give a patient a shot in the plantar fascia within a few days of a marathon though.

Preferrably, all of the causes of plantar fasciitis in a patient are carefully examined and dealt with so that the level of comfort experienced actually reflects the amount of inflammation present.
Ed