Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain across front of ankle - Inferior extenson retinaculum - Does anyone else have it?

Posted by Kathy G on 9/21/01 at 10:22 (061150)

Hi,

I sound like I know what I'm talking about but I checked an anatomy book or I wouldn't know that the exact muscle that it tightening up, badly, on my right foot (my worst foot) is the Inferior Extensor Retinaculum. This is new for me. It hurts but mostly it's so tight I feel as if someone is grabbing me there. I tried ice to relieve it and it didn't work and then I tried heat, and it seems to work. I just wonder if anyone else has this problem. I have to get a referral to go back to my Pod but thought, while I am waiting, I'd check here to see if this is a common complaint. Because it's new to me, I keep wondering what I did to cause it and what kind of stretches I can do to make it go away. It's not too bad in the morning but lousy at night. Thanks so much.

Re: Where I mean this muscle is located

Kathy G on 9/21/01 at 10:26 (061151)

I didn't really explain where it is. It runs right across the top of the foot but up near where the foot and the leg come together. It runs across the outside anke bone (now there's a clinical term!!) and below that bone. Don't know if this helps. I think if you have it, you'll know what I mean. Thanks again!!!

Re: Where I mean this muscle is located

Kathy G on 9/21/01 at 10:26 (061151)

I didn't really explain where it is. It runs right across the top of the foot but up near where the foot and the leg come together. It runs across the outside anke bone (now there's a clinical term!!) and below that bone. Don't know if this helps. I think if you have it, you'll know what I mean. Thanks again!!!