Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Ami P....have you decided on surgery?

Posted by Paula G. on 9/21/01 at 18:14 (061204)

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you have decided on surgery? I had my surgery this last Friday. In a lot more ways I am doing better than before. But, I can also see it is not a miracle cure all. There is a very lengthy process of recovery after having this done. But, I am committed to that long haul because of the two years of PF and the pain.
Maybe that has a lot to do with outcome is commitment. It is very depressing and hard sometimes. Just having the surgery, I already have had my day of sulking. You know moping around feeling sorry for poor old me with my sore foot! Anyway, I would do this all over again because I feel it is giving me a chance. A chance at being somewhat normal again that I would not have without the surgery.

Re: For Ami P....have you decided on surgery?

Ami P. on 9/21/01 at 19:23 (061211)

It's good to hear you say that! I have decided to have the surgery. I have the nerve study done on Oct 1st and the surgery on Oct 19th. My type of surgery and healing time will depend upon the outcome of test on the 1st.

Just as you have described it, I also feel that having surgery will be my only attempt at 'normalcy'. My husband is encouraging me to do this. My fear has always been going through something awful with no success, but it has become painfully obvious, (no pun intended), that I cannot go on like this. I've now begun treatment with the creme Diclofenac. I really can't tell too much of a difference, but I've only been using it for about 4 days. I was hoping I'd feel something by now.

Anyway, I am happy for you that your time of recovery has begun. I am prayerfully optimist that this will help me to resume a normal life, or as much as there can be. I only hate that I have to wait so long. I would have it done tomorrow if I could.

Please keep me informed of your recovery. I am very interested in your pain levels now and right after surgery. The reason I'm interested is because when I had my hysterctomy, I was in the worst pain of my life. Now I know that you are going to hurt after surgery, but, I felt like they were still cutting on me. I honestly think that it was in part to that I don't respond to morphine, or morphine derivative medications. Don't get me wrong, it messed with my 'head' and made me drunk, but it didn't do a thing for the pain. This is a self-diagnosis, because when they took me off of the morphine pump and gave me something by mouth, I was in less pain. This was my second encounter with morphine and it didn't help on a previous surgery either. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping! I'm am truly afraid of being in that much pain again. Needless to say, I will ask them not to give me any pain meds that have any relationship to that drug. I also intend to discuss this thoroughly with my doctor.

I certainly expect the soreness, etc for a long while. I was also informed that it would be a long recovery period. And I've already given it a year. I can certainly give it three months or more.

Do let me know how you are doing and I will certainly pray for your spirits and your recovery. You know, God has a way of taking care of everything. Either He'll heal the sickness or give us the strength to deal with it. Of course, I'll be praying for OUR healing!

I also wanted to ask exactly what kind of procedure you had done. Where is your incision etc...

Take care, and get back with me when you feel up to it!

Paula G. on 9/22/01 at 16:12 (061284)

Ami, I also have had a hysterectomy. The best way to describe that pain was I felt like a gutted deer! This pain is different. With a hysterectomy, you have things removed from your body and are sutured shut.
I am doing better. Getting around with crutches and weening off the pain medication. Take it after the surgery around the clock for the first several days. This day in age there is no reason to suffer pain when you have medication for it.
I was told they put a lot of local in my foot. I think that helped when I woke up because I was not in all that much pain. You please e-mail me. my e-mail address is ladygast@yahoo.com Would love to chat more privately.

Re: Plenty of good meds available

BrianG on 9/22/01 at 20:40 (061308)

Hi Ami P,

There are other classes of pain meds that you should be able to try that are not related to morphine. One is Fentanyl, another is Methadone. Both are excellent for pain relief. If your doctor is not up to date, talk to your anesthesiologist, he will know. You can also get some information at http://www.pain.com

Good luck, no need to suffer needlessly
BCG

Ami P. on 9/21/01 at 19:23 (061211)

It's good to hear you say that! I have decided to have the surgery. I have the nerve study done on Oct 1st and the surgery on Oct 19th. My type of surgery and healing time will depend upon the outcome of test on the 1st.

Just as you have described it, I also feel that having surgery will be my only attempt at 'normalcy'. My husband is encouraging me to do this. My fear has always been going through something awful with no success, but it has become painfully obvious, (no pun intended), that I cannot go on like this. I've now begun treatment with the creme Diclofenac. I really can't tell too much of a difference, but I've only been using it for about 4 days. I was hoping I'd feel something by now.

Anyway, I am happy for you that your time of recovery has begun. I am prayerfully optimist that this will help me to resume a normal life, or as much as there can be. I only hate that I have to wait so long. I would have it done tomorrow if I could.

Please keep me informed of your recovery. I am very interested in your pain levels now and right after surgery. The reason I'm interested is because when I had my hysterctomy, I was in the worst pain of my life. Now I know that you are going to hurt after surgery, but, I felt like they were still cutting on me. I honestly think that it was in part to that I don't respond to morphine, or morphine derivative medications. Don't get me wrong, it messed with my 'head' and made me drunk, but it didn't do a thing for the pain. This is a self-diagnosis, because when they took me off of the morphine pump and gave me something by mouth, I was in less pain. This was my second encounter with morphine and it didn't help on a previous surgery either. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping! I'm am truly afraid of being in that much pain again. Needless to say, I will ask them not to give me any pain meds that have any relationship to that drug. I also intend to discuss this thoroughly with my doctor.

I certainly expect the soreness, etc for a long while. I was also informed that it would be a long recovery period. And I've already given it a year. I can certainly give it three months or more.

Do let me know how you are doing and I will certainly pray for your spirits and your recovery. You know, God has a way of taking care of everything. Either He'll heal the sickness or give us the strength to deal with it. Of course, I'll be praying for OUR healing!

I also wanted to ask exactly what kind of procedure you had done. Where is your incision etc...

Take care, and get back with me when you feel up to it!

Paula G. on 9/22/01 at 16:12 (061284)

Ami, I also have had a hysterectomy. The best way to describe that pain was I felt like a gutted deer! This pain is different. With a hysterectomy, you have things removed from your body and are sutured shut.
I am doing better. Getting around with crutches and weening off the pain medication. Take it after the surgery around the clock for the first several days. This day in age there is no reason to suffer pain when you have medication for it.
I was told they put a lot of local in my foot. I think that helped when I woke up because I was not in all that much pain. You please e-mail me. my e-mail address is ladygast@yahoo.com Would love to chat more privately.

Re: Plenty of good meds available

BrianG on 9/22/01 at 20:40 (061308)

Hi Ami P,

There are other classes of pain meds that you should be able to try that are not related to morphine. One is Fentanyl, another is Methadone. Both are excellent for pain relief. If your doctor is not up to date, talk to your anesthesiologist, he will know. You can also get some information at http://www.pain.com

Good luck, no need to suffer needlessly
BCG