Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock Tatamis vs orthodics

Posted by Brenda G. on 9/22/01 at 07:19 (061229)

Hi, I don't post that often but wanted to share my experience with Tatamis. I've had PF for 1 year with severely torn fascia-which I'm sure has led to my slow recovery. I religiously wore my orthodics, gotten in Feburary but always with pain. I've spents $$$ for every shoe imaginable, all which would initially feel good but after my 12 hr work day, would result in increased pain and inflammation. I even stress fractured a metatarsal with Danskos. Well, I've have to work 80 hour weeks for the past 6 weeks so I went each day in Birk Bostons (classic footbed) and was making it okay with icing on the job and each night and 3200mg Ibuprofen/daily. I purchased Birkenstock Tatamis-Rio Bravos a week ago. I heard they had a higher arch, and the result is that I am off the Ibuprofen and not icing any more! The Rio Bravo has a new footbed that immediately feel broken in. It even had some cushioning in the heel. The arch is wonderfully high and hits me in the correct spots for support. The orthodics always felt like I was walking in a bar at the back of the arch(toward the heel). It feels like a miracle with all the hours I've been working. I believe I can start back an exercise program soon! I don't know why this is working so well for me, but wanted to share. I've seen other posts about Tatamis causing pain, but perhaps the higher arch was exactly what I needed. Good luck to all. Brenda

Re: Birkenstock Tatamis vs orthodics

Carmel M on 9/22/01 at 09:42 (061245)

Thanks for the helpful information Brenda. I too need a shoe with a higher arch and one where the arch feels like it's in the right place. I've been wearing my Naots for some time now because my regular Birks are causing pain. The Naot seems to be working I think, because it has a higher heel than my Birks.

I'm going to try the Birk you recommended...I need to go find some shoes for winter too, so thanks again for the info!

Take care.
Carmel

Re: Birkenstock Tatamis vs orthodics

Carmel M on 9/22/01 at 09:42 (061245)

Thanks for the helpful information Brenda. I too need a shoe with a higher arch and one where the arch feels like it's in the right place. I've been wearing my Naots for some time now because my regular Birks are causing pain. The Naot seems to be working I think, because it has a higher heel than my Birks.

I'm going to try the Birk you recommended...I need to go find some shoes for winter too, so thanks again for the info!

Take care.
Carmel