Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF or something else, what kind of doctor?

Posted by Heidi A on 9/22/01 at 08:17 (061234)

Hello everyone
I was newly diagnosed with PF about 2 weeks ago. I started on the Aleve 2 X a day for about a week and I tried the taping (it hurt much more than it helped) and Dr. scholls dynastep inserts (I used the one for athletes because I have I job where I must be on my feet for 9 hrs a day) which also hurt much more than they helped my pain that caused me to go to the doctor and be diagnosed as PF originally. Started in my knee then traveled to my back and side of my calf and eventually to my ankle and my doctor thought that in might have been blood clots in a vein because I am at increased risk for them but after feeling my leg and foot he declared that I have PF. When I come home from work I take a nap then when I get up to make dinner I can barely walk the pain is so bad in my leg and ankle. I tried a night splint- wearing it at night in bed but also when I took my nap and it helped dramatically the first few days, then it started to hurt more so I discontinued all treatment. No splint, taping orthotics or aleve. I actually felt better for a few days- then about 2 days ago my knee started to really hurt and feel like it was very stiff after my nap and in the morning- I could work off the pain but it took at least an hour of being on my feet. I only had the PF diagnosed by my general practitioner through a physical exam - no special tests, X-rays. Here are my questions:
1. should I go back to my general practitioner, go to a orthopedist or a podiatrist?
2. I know that about 15 years ago when I went for a physical / occupational therapy evaluation for poor co-ordination they discovered that I have kyphosis and discrepancies between the length of my legs could this be contributing to my problems?
3. Does this sound like PF (the leg/ calf/ knee pain)?
4. What should I do to relieve the pain (other than never resting) until I can see a doctor?
Any other suggestions, ideas, input etc. would be helpful thanks Heidi A

Re: PF or something else, what kind of doctor?

Dr. Biehler on 9/22/01 at 14:31 (061273)

When one leg is longer than the other, the body can compensate in sveral ways, such as: pronating the foot on the longer side,keeping the knee slightly bent,tilting the pelvis forward and up on the long side and excessive sagital plan curve in the lower back. This could account for the pain traveling from the knee and back ending up with plantar fasciitis.The excessive repetative strain can has the potential od causing osteo arthritis in these joints. Also excessive streching of the plantar fascia in the strech/healing phase sometimes can do more harm than good. Dr. B.

Re: PF or something else, what kind of doctor?

Dr. Biehler on 9/22/01 at 14:31 (061273)

When one leg is longer than the other, the body can compensate in sveral ways, such as: pronating the foot on the longer side,keeping the knee slightly bent,tilting the pelvis forward and up on the long side and excessive sagital plan curve in the lower back. This could account for the pain traveling from the knee and back ending up with plantar fasciitis.The excessive repetative strain can has the potential od causing osteo arthritis in these joints. Also excessive streching of the plantar fascia in the strech/healing phase sometimes can do more harm than good. Dr. B.