Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight Weight Weight

Posted by Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 10:54 (061256)

I am sure that there has been a lot of information posted all over the board about weight but in reading some posts and seeing a few comments here and there I am a tiny worried that people might be doing the wrong things. Not that I am an expert...I am by no means that! Just have learned a lot in the years exercising, having a trainer years ago, working in the food industry, being a health nut, having a brother in law trained in diet and exercise etc. There are a few things people may not know and I thought I'd share....take what you want and leave the rest. If you have medical conditions other than foot problems these things may not apply to you or help you at all but hey! Thought I'd try.
1. Breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day (it wasn't a lie when they told you in elementary school)it starts your metabolism for the day.
A combination is good (eggs WHITES are the least fattening, toast and juice)
2. You should eat at least 5-6 times a day. 3 full meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) but in between a low fat, low calorie meal is necessary to keep the metabolism active and keep you satisfied so you don't OVEREAT at the big meals.
3. JUST a Protein diet with no carbs is NOT good. Your body needs a little of everything. ESpecially veggies and fruit. You deny it and it will react!
4. Going without food (not getting enough calories for your body type, starving yourself, skipping meals) puts your body in panic mode...it will start to store the food you are eating in your fat cells because it's not sure when you will feed it again. Eventually causing weight gain.
5. Just cutting down portions will make a drastic difference in your weight control.
6. WATER WATER WATER. If you aren't drinking your 8 glasses you are denying yourself the most important thing. It is good for your skin and weight control. Keeping a bottle with you at all times will eventually have you in the habit of drinking out of it when you aren't even concious of it.
7. SODA'S ARE BAD.
8. When you lose 5 pounds...it is probably just water. Sad but true. Sorry. That's why in the morning when you weight yourself butt naked that is your TRUE weight. Weigh again at night after eating and retaining water all day you are guaranteed to weight about 5-7 pounds more. (I NEVER weight at night...too depressing)
9. You should only weight yourself once a month if even that. Too discouraging if you weigh more often than that.
10. Keeping a food diary helps with weight loss. See what you are eating and monitor it...It will make you think before you put anything in your mouth.
11. WHOLE grain foods are better for you than Enriched flour foods....Less fattening better for the heart!
12. When you exercise it usually takes about 20 minutes to get your heart rate up....So the first 20 minutes of cardio aren't your prime calorie burning minutes. Those start AFTER you warm up your heart. Doing weights first is better so when you get on the cardio equipment your start burning those calories right away...heart is warmed up from weights.
13. Too much Salt can cause excess water weight. MAking your clothes feel tight and your tummy feel bloated. ick

I hope some ofthis is helpful....I know it is helpful to me. I have been pretty lucky about maintaining my weight since this darn foot thing happened...the muscles are gone and have been replaced with fat tissue but at least I am not gaining weight. yet. Careful Carmen.

Re: Weight Weight Weight

linda A on 9/22/01 at 16:14 (061285)

thanks carmen for healthy info on controlling the weight issue . i have been at all points on the wt scale . i maintain healthy 130 lbs ( idea wt ) for yrs ,was anorexic weighing 99 lbs ( compulsive exerciser) about 5 yrs , and topping the scales at 220 coming out of hospital in 1997 ( a bad yr . w/ bi-polar diorder the meds depakote and trazadone didn't help much ) . i was able to bring that wt down to 175 lbs when i started back into hiking and biking . then the pf kick in about 2 yrs ago , so there went the exercise . after having the surgery i am now at the chronic pain syndrome stage just praying for a good day . after my day session at ten broeck hospital today i joined in on a volleyball game ( we were goophy off--- not a serious game ) . it felt good to have fun . have been depressed about the wt , so i was glad that you mention the healthy habits . i am trying to kick the habit of drinking diet big red . i pick up this habit about 3 mo ago . i used to drink 1 can diet 7- up for the whole day . now i am driking the soft drink like it was water . i also need to start working out on my total gym ( chuck norris inspired me to buy it . gorgeous body ) .

Re: Strong lady

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 16:51 (061288)

You show evidence of a very strong woman Linda.....seem to know exactly what you need. good for you.
Let me know how that total gym works...we are in the market for a Bowflex...(the only thing I could do besides Pilates while my feet do their thing.
Take care of that body and it will do you right.
Diet Big red can't hurt in moderation....replce it with water for the most part though.
Everything in moderation keeps good balance in life.

Re: Strong lady/Carmen

Donna M on 9/22/01 at 21:47 (061313)

Carmen, my daughter and son-in-law bought a Bowflex and they love it! She had a baby almost 3 months ago, and she is back down to her normal size! She has been using it about 3 times a week.

Thought I'd let you know, just in case you don't know anybody that has one that you can talk to, before you spend all that money!

Good luck!

Suzanne D on 9/23/01 at 08:01 (061321)

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us! It was good to review these things and to take the time to think about them as they relate to my life. I know that moving slower and less with PF has taken its toll, but then I can't blame that completely. I'm 49, and even without PF would have to be watching a little more carefully now. I am tall and was always thin, and so I developed some poor eating habits as a result. I never gained weight, so why worry? But the scales are creeping, and I don't like how I feel or how my clothes fit. My first resolve is to start drinking more water. I have to admit that in the afternoon of a tiring day with first graders, a Pepsi from the machine down the hall tastes pretty good while they are at PE, art, or music. It kind of picks me up and also helps with the migraines I frequently experience. BUT, they aren't good for me, and I imagine drinking water and leaving off the soft drinks could help a lot! That is my goal beginning this week.

My best to you, and THANKS again for taking the time so share!

Re: Donna/Suzanne

CArmen H on 9/23/01 at 08:22 (061324)

Donna~

Thanks for the input. I am excited about getting a Bowflex even more now...I am VERY self motivated so the machine won't end up holding my hanging laundry...;-)
Suzanne....boy do I know what you mean about the Pepsi. Even a little sip makes my day sometimes. So I keep it out of the house and I let guilt play a little role whenever I almost buy a soda.
Have a good week...full of WATER!
;-)

Re: Y'all Tried Splenda?

Donna M on 9/23/01 at 10:58 (061328)

Home from church today with that sinus mess, so I'm on here reading!!

Have any of y'all tried Splenda? I just tried it a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked!! Especially on cherry Kool-aid!! I can't tell the difference in taste than with real sugar. Even my hubby uses it now and that in itself is a feat!! He won't eat diet anything, not even bread, because he says he can tell the difference!! It's kind of expensive, but if you cut out soft drinks, candy etc. then you really don't spend anymore.

I also take my kool-aid, freeze it and eat it like a slush! Yum yum!! Sure ends a sweet craving!

I've also put on weight in the last 14 months due to PF, and now I'm trying to get it off! I'm doing pretty good, I've lost 6 pounds in the last 14 days!! :) Just got to keep up my willpower and determination!

Hope everyone has a pain free week!

linda A on 9/23/01 at 14:39 (061339)

went to the big meijers today ( grocery store ) . did pretty good until i bought the cookies n cream icecream . thought i could control how much i would be eating in a setting . i think that the box of icecream will be going down the drain , because i have no self control . i have a friend who bought the bowflex ( $ 1000) . loved it . i don't know who took it after the break up w/ the boyfriend ( she paid for it -- but she was always giving things away ) . the total gym that i have only cost $ 200 sold in the store not the one sold on t.v. ( $ 1000 w/ all the gadgets ) . i put fresh water in the my water picture in the refigerator ( like it cold ). keep us motivated girl ! i like it when john talks about his hiking adventure w/o his water btle . where are you john h ?

Barbara TX on 9/23/01 at 18:54 (061355)

I am a Splenda addict. I have it in coffee and Diet RC. I suspect that it raises my blood sugar, and makes me crave sugar even more. At least it isn't aspartame.

Congratulations with the weight loss! B.

linda A on 9/22/01 at 16:14 (061285)

thanks carmen for healthy info on controlling the weight issue . i have been at all points on the wt scale . i maintain healthy 130 lbs ( idea wt ) for yrs ,was anorexic weighing 99 lbs ( compulsive exerciser) about 5 yrs , and topping the scales at 220 coming out of hospital in 1997 ( a bad yr . w/ bi-polar diorder the meds depakote and trazadone didn't help much ) . i was able to bring that wt down to 175 lbs when i started back into hiking and biking . then the pf kick in about 2 yrs ago , so there went the exercise . after having the surgery i am now at the chronic pain syndrome stage just praying for a good day . after my day session at ten broeck hospital today i joined in on a volleyball game ( we were goophy off--- not a serious game ) . it felt good to have fun . have been depressed about the wt , so i was glad that you mention the healthy habits . i am trying to kick the habit of drinking diet big red . i pick up this habit about 3 mo ago . i used to drink 1 can diet 7- up for the whole day . now i am driking the soft drink like it was water . i also need to start working out on my total gym ( chuck norris inspired me to buy it . gorgeous body ) .

Carmen H on 9/22/01 at 16:51 (061288)

You show evidence of a very strong woman Linda.....seem to know exactly what you need. good for you.
Let me know how that total gym works...we are in the market for a Bowflex...(the only thing I could do besides Pilates while my feet do their thing.
Take care of that body and it will do you right.
Diet Big red can't hurt in moderation....replce it with water for the most part though.
Everything in moderation keeps good balance in life.

Re: Strong lady/Carmen

Donna M on 9/22/01 at 21:47 (061313)

Carmen, my daughter and son-in-law bought a Bowflex and they love it! She had a baby almost 3 months ago, and she is back down to her normal size! She has been using it about 3 times a week.

Thought I'd let you know, just in case you don't know anybody that has one that you can talk to, before you spend all that money!

Good luck!

Suzanne D on 9/23/01 at 08:01 (061321)

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us! It was good to review these things and to take the time to think about them as they relate to my life. I know that moving slower and less with PF has taken its toll, but then I can't blame that completely. I'm 49, and even without PF would have to be watching a little more carefully now. I am tall and was always thin, and so I developed some poor eating habits as a result. I never gained weight, so why worry? But the scales are creeping, and I don't like how I feel or how my clothes fit. My first resolve is to start drinking more water. I have to admit that in the afternoon of a tiring day with first graders, a Pepsi from the machine down the hall tastes pretty good while they are at PE, art, or music. It kind of picks me up and also helps with the migraines I frequently experience. BUT, they aren't good for me, and I imagine drinking water and leaving off the soft drinks could help a lot! That is my goal beginning this week.

My best to you, and THANKS again for taking the time so share!

Re: Donna/Suzanne

CArmen H on 9/23/01 at 08:22 (061324)

Donna~

Thanks for the input. I am excited about getting a Bowflex even more now...I am VERY self motivated so the machine won't end up holding my hanging laundry...;-)
Suzanne....boy do I know what you mean about the Pepsi. Even a little sip makes my day sometimes. So I keep it out of the house and I let guilt play a little role whenever I almost buy a soda.
Have a good week...full of WATER!
;-)

Donna M on 9/23/01 at 10:58 (061328)

Home from church today with that sinus mess, so I'm on here reading!!

Have any of y'all tried Splenda? I just tried it a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked!! Especially on cherry Kool-aid!! I can't tell the difference in taste than with real sugar. Even my hubby uses it now and that in itself is a feat!! He won't eat diet anything, not even bread, because he says he can tell the difference!! It's kind of expensive, but if you cut out soft drinks, candy etc. then you really don't spend anymore.

I also take my kool-aid, freeze it and eat it like a slush! Yum yum!! Sure ends a sweet craving!

I've also put on weight in the last 14 months due to PF, and now I'm trying to get it off! I'm doing pretty good, I've lost 6 pounds in the last 14 days!! :) Just got to keep up my willpower and determination!

Hope everyone has a pain free week!

linda A on 9/23/01 at 14:39 (061339)

went to the big meijers today ( grocery store ) . did pretty good until i bought the cookies n cream icecream . thought i could control how much i would be eating in a setting . i think that the box of icecream will be going down the drain , because i have no self control . i have a friend who bought the bowflex ( $ 1000) . loved it . i don't know who took it after the break up w/ the boyfriend ( she paid for it -- but she was always giving things away ) . the total gym that i have only cost $ 200 sold in the store not the one sold on t.v. ( $ 1000 w/ all the gadgets ) . i put fresh water in the my water picture in the refigerator ( like it cold ). keep us motivated girl ! i like it when john talks about his hiking adventure w/o his water btle . where are you john h ?

Barbara TX on 9/23/01 at 18:54 (061355)

I am a Splenda addict. I have it in coffee and Diet RC. I suspect that it raises my blood sugar, and makes me crave sugar even more. At least it isn't aspartame.

Congratulations with the weight loss! B.