Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for Insertional Achilles Tendonitis

Posted by Jack W. on 9/22/01 at 11:58 (061263)

Hi: Chose to post here rather than the ESWT Patient Progress Reports section. I had my first treatment (DR. Z) for IAT (plus bursitis and Haglunds Deformity - I'm a mess)two weeks ago today and I want to relate my progress to date. Prior to treatment I was running an average of 37 miles per week with terrible pain. Simply touching the heel as Dr. Z did on my first visit sent me through the roof. I am pleased to report that the inflamation has subsided 90%, the area is not nearly as tender. I don't know whether to attribute this to the treatment or the fact that I have not run in two weeks. I have not gone without exercise though. In fact I have been quite active since day one, alternating between biking, elliptical trainer, recumbant bike and weight lifting (all low impact exercises). I will continue this regime for another week and then gradually return to slow running. I experienced some throbbing sensations in my foot the first week, but not horrible. The second week I experienced less throbbing but I started feeling a dull ache from time to time, also not terrible. Generally I would say there has been some improvement but until I resume running I won't really know how much. It's still very early in the recovery process but I am maintaining a guarded but high level of optimism. Sorry about the long post, but I know that for myself I like reading detailed reports of other persons and figured someone out there might like this much detail. Next progress post will be in two weeks. Good luck to all.

Re: ESWT for Insertional Achilles Tendonitis

AmyM on 9/24/01 at 12:19 (061419)

Hi Jack
I'm curious, did the ESWT have any effect on the bursitis? Which came first the bursitis or the tendonitis? Was the tendonitis pain localized? Glad to hear things are going well and I hope that you'll be back to running 37 miles without pain in the future!

Jack W. on 9/25/01 at 14:42 (061529)

Don't really know which came first. I do know that the inflammation and redness in the back of the heal are greatly reduced. I can actually press against the back of the heel and not scream. This is a vast improvement.

George J on 11/29/01 at 20:18 (065686)

I just posted regarding the same situation . I am also a runner with all the things going on that you have had. Hope you are still improving. I have had the achilles problems for almost 5 years, through a lot of competitive running. I forget what it feels like not to be sore in that area. I would like have an opportunity to try EWST . Thanks for posting your info - it is very helpful. Good luck

AmyM on 9/24/01 at 12:19 (061419)

Hi Jack
I'm curious, did the ESWT have any effect on the bursitis? Which came first the bursitis or the tendonitis? Was the tendonitis pain localized? Glad to hear things are going well and I hope that you'll be back to running 37 miles without pain in the future!

Jack W. on 9/25/01 at 14:42 (061529)

Don't really know which came first. I do know that the inflammation and redness in the back of the heal are greatly reduced. I can actually press against the back of the heel and not scream. This is a vast improvement.

George J on 11/29/01 at 20:18 (065686)

I just posted regarding the same situation . I am also a runner with all the things going on that you have had. Hope you are still improving. I have had the achilles problems for almost 5 years, through a lot of competitive running. I forget what it feels like not to be sore in that area. I would like have an opportunity to try EWST . Thanks for posting your info - it is very helpful. Good luck