Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Spur on back of Heel

Posted by JoyceH on 9/22/01 at 15:51 (061283)

I have a large bone spur on the back of my heel. I am scheduled to have surgery on it in about 3 weeks. Doctor said surgery is not complicated but a long road for recovery. I read a lot about spur on the bottom of foot but not the back of heel. Can anyone enlighten me?

Re: Spur on back of Heel

MARIANNE S. on 9/23/01 at 07:59 (061320)

I HAVE SEEN A DOCTOR AND HE TAPED MY HEEL UP FOR A WEEK , NOW I AM TO GO IN THIS WEEK AND GET A SHOT TO EASE THE PAIN, WHY DOES HE NOT JUST GO AHEAD AND OPERATE AND GET IT OVER WITH. I AM TIRED OF HOBBLING .

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 08:57 (061326)

You may want to run that by one of the Docs on here, It is not always a good idea to get an injection on back of the heel. depends on what type it is also

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/01 at 11:25 (061330)

Hi,
Local steriod injections in and near the achilles tendon which is attached to the back of the heel is a no no. An injection can rupture the achilles
tendon.

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 18:05 (061352)

You should also have your foot function and shoes evaluated. If you wear dress shoes often they may be rubbing on it causing it to increase in size. Many hockey players and figure skaters get them. They are a result of pressure and rubbing that causes irritation. If you can relieve pain by inserts and or shoe change I would think about putting it off.

If you do get it operated on and dont change your footwear there is a good chance you will get it back. This is a non Doctor opinion, ask one of them for more details

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 18:06 (061353)

P.S. also excess heel motion or tight heel cords that cause the heel top whip or shift with each step can contribute to them as well

MARIANNE S. on 9/23/01 at 07:59 (061320)

I HAVE SEEN A DOCTOR AND HE TAPED MY HEEL UP FOR A WEEK , NOW I AM TO GO IN THIS WEEK AND GET A SHOT TO EASE THE PAIN, WHY DOES HE NOT JUST GO AHEAD AND OPERATE AND GET IT OVER WITH. I AM TIRED OF HOBBLING .

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 08:57 (061326)

You may want to run that by one of the Docs on here, It is not always a good idea to get an injection on back of the heel. depends on what type it is also

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/01 at 11:25 (061330)

Hi,
Local steriod injections in and near the achilles tendon which is attached to the back of the heel is a no no. An injection can rupture the achilles
tendon.

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 18:05 (061352)

You should also have your foot function and shoes evaluated. If you wear dress shoes often they may be rubbing on it causing it to increase in size. Many hockey players and figure skaters get them. They are a result of pressure and rubbing that causes irritation. If you can relieve pain by inserts and or shoe change I would think about putting it off.

If you do get it operated on and dont change your footwear there is a good chance you will get it back. This is a non Doctor opinion, ask one of them for more details

BG CPed on 9/23/01 at 18:06 (061353)

P.S. also excess heel motion or tight heel cords that cause the heel top whip or shift with each step can contribute to them as well