Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The flags of Woodbury

Posted by Steve P on 9/22/01 at 17:04 (061292)

Hi Everyone -- I drove from Md. up to Dr. Z's in Woodbury, NJ, Friday for another ESWT treatment.

As all of you 'Dr. Z people' know, Woodbury is such a pretty & picturesque town. This time it was also decked out in red, white & blue.

Driving up, I noticed American flags hanging from many overpasses of I-95. Someone also put up homemade signs on many of the same overpasses next to the flags. One said 'the dawn's early light'......then a few miles later 'what so proudly we hailed'........a few miles later 'gave proof through the night'.....etc.

Driving through Woodbury, it struck me that there wasn't a street without multiple flags on display. Also plenty of bunting & streamers.

After getting my zaps from Dr Z & Phil, his ESWT assistant (& a most pleasant gentleman I must say), I bid everyone goodbye & drove away. I needed to turn my car around by pulling down a side street, so I picked one & turned around in someone's driveway. House after house on the side street had flags out front, and many had multiple small flags pressed into their front lawns. Quite a stirring sight.

This is America off the beaten path. Things look pretty good there to me.

Steve

Re: The flags of Woodbury

Donna M on 9/22/01 at 21:43 (061312)

That must be where most of the flags are then!! As of Wednesday morning, after the tragedy, there were no flags, anywhere, around here to be bought! There 'still' are none to be bought and there is a 'flag factory' in Huntsville, just about 25-30 miles from me!!
So there are lots of us still waiting to get one, (especially for my SUV). We did the next best thing and got RW&B bows! All the posts on my front porch have bows!

I bet Woodbury would be neat to see, the way you have described it!

Thinking about all that has happened,isn't it amazing how much we all have, that we take for granted?

Take Care~

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/01 at 07:51 (061318)

Yes we take our flag and our country for granted. I hope not anymore.

It really feels good to see the American Flage everywhere. We need to keep it up for ever

Suzanne D on 9/23/01 at 15:36 (061342)

I enjoyed reading about Woodbury; it seems to be small-town America at its best! My tiny little community of 1 school, 3 churches, a post office, and 2 gas stations has raised $3200 to be sent to those in need in New York and Washington, and I am proud of that. It is a mere drop in the bucket to what is needed, of course, but it is from the heart of the people here, most of whom will never see New York City. And on our old iron bridge there has been affixed a 20' x 30' American flag, back-lit at night which is breath-taking to see! Our volunteer fire fighters worked hard yesterday getting that up. My first graders all colored flags to hang in the hall at school Friday, and even they seem to be saying the pledge of allegiance just a little more enthusiastically each morning. It is heartening to see more respect shown for our country.

Donna M on 9/22/01 at 21:43 (061312)

That must be where most of the flags are then!! As of Wednesday morning, after the tragedy, there were no flags, anywhere, around here to be bought! There 'still' are none to be bought and there is a 'flag factory' in Huntsville, just about 25-30 miles from me!!
So there are lots of us still waiting to get one, (especially for my SUV). We did the next best thing and got RW&B bows! All the posts on my front porch have bows!

I bet Woodbury would be neat to see, the way you have described it!

Thinking about all that has happened,isn't it amazing how much we all have, that we take for granted?

Take Care~

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/01 at 07:51 (061318)

Yes we take our flag and our country for granted. I hope not anymore.

It really feels good to see the American Flage everywhere. We need to keep it up for ever

Suzanne D on 9/23/01 at 15:36 (061342)

I enjoyed reading about Woodbury; it seems to be small-town America at its best! My tiny little community of 1 school, 3 churches, a post office, and 2 gas stations has raised $3200 to be sent to those in need in New York and Washington, and I am proud of that. It is a mere drop in the bucket to what is needed, of course, but it is from the heart of the people here, most of whom will never see New York City. And on our old iron bridge there has been affixed a 20' x 30' American flag, back-lit at night which is breath-taking to see! Our volunteer fire fighters worked hard yesterday getting that up. My first graders all colored flags to hang in the hall at school Friday, and even they seem to be saying the pledge of allegiance just a little more enthusiastically each morning. It is heartening to see more respect shown for our country.