Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Soaking in hot water with epsom salt

Posted by Louis F on 9/23/01 at 11:49 (061334)

This treatment was suggested to me by a general practitioner. Don't see it mentioned on the heelspurs site. Is this treatment helpful?

Re: Soaking in hot water with epsom salt

JeanB on 9/23/01 at 17:46 (061348)

This can relax the feet and epsom salts have a very mild anesthetizing effect on the nerves nearest the skin. Will probably do NOTHING for true heel pain, plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. This treatment is good for people with one day of sore feet--not chronic pain like most of us have.

Louis F on 9/24/01 at 11:13 (061417)

Dear JeanB,

Thank you.

Louis

Tammy M on 9/24/01 at 19:04 (061459)

I work in retail, and therefore spend alot of time on my feet. During a long shift at work my feet started to cramp up in knots, which they do when I am on them too long. I know when any other muscles start to knot up, I've used a hot water bottle, and have found nearly instant relief. Well, I tried a hot water bottle on my feet, and all I can say is never again. The heat caused swelling, which as we all know is a big pain-factor with PF (Perhaps the addition of epsom salts would cause a different reaction, I'm not sure). It wasn't until the next night that I bagan to get relief. I am sure some of this discomfort was caused by being on my feet for too long a period of time, but the next time this happened I had a frozen coke bottle in the freezer at work and rolled my foot over it---to much relief. Sorry for being long winded here, but in my experience, hot or even warm water only makes my feet worse.

Kelly C on 9/25/01 at 16:34 (061537)

I have actually had the best results from hot water soaking. I'm quite a few months along in my PF this time, and I found that most other treatments weren't doing much for me, including stretching and icing.

But when I add a jacuzzi soak to my routine, I've found that the next day I have almost NO pain. The best routine I've found so far is to soak in the jacuzzi at the gym for 10 minutes, and let one of the jets hit my arch directly. I do my stretching in the jacuzzi too.

If I can't get to the gym, I'll soak my foot in the bathtub, hottest water I can stand, and then stretch immediately afterwards. Light stretching--I have learned that too much stretching does more harm than good.

Then after the hot water and stretching, I ice my foot. The method that seems to work the best is to put my foot in a plastic bucket with 2' of water plus 2 ice cube trays. Yeah, it hurts for a minute or so, but I ice for 5-10 minutes and it DOES help.

JeanB on 9/23/01 at 17:46 (061348)

This can relax the feet and epsom salts have a very mild anesthetizing effect on the nerves nearest the skin. Will probably do NOTHING for true heel pain, plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. This treatment is good for people with one day of sore feet--not chronic pain like most of us have.

Louis F on 9/24/01 at 11:13 (061417)

Dear JeanB,

Thank you.

Louis

Tammy M on 9/24/01 at 19:04 (061459)

I work in retail, and therefore spend alot of time on my feet. During a long shift at work my feet started to cramp up in knots, which they do when I am on them too long. I know when any other muscles start to knot up, I've used a hot water bottle, and have found nearly instant relief. Well, I tried a hot water bottle on my feet, and all I can say is never again. The heat caused swelling, which as we all know is a big pain-factor with PF (Perhaps the addition of epsom salts would cause a different reaction, I'm not sure). It wasn't until the next night that I bagan to get relief. I am sure some of this discomfort was caused by being on my feet for too long a period of time, but the next time this happened I had a frozen coke bottle in the freezer at work and rolled my foot over it---to much relief. Sorry for being long winded here, but in my experience, hot or even warm water only makes my feet worse.

Kelly C on 9/25/01 at 16:34 (061537)

I have actually had the best results from hot water soaking. I'm quite a few months along in my PF this time, and I found that most other treatments weren't doing much for me, including stretching and icing.

But when I add a jacuzzi soak to my routine, I've found that the next day I have almost NO pain. The best routine I've found so far is to soak in the jacuzzi at the gym for 10 minutes, and let one of the jets hit my arch directly. I do my stretching in the jacuzzi too.

If I can't get to the gym, I'll soak my foot in the bathtub, hottest water I can stand, and then stretch immediately afterwards. Light stretching--I have learned that too much stretching does more harm than good.

Then after the hot water and stretching, I ice my foot. The method that seems to work the best is to put my foot in a plastic bucket with 2' of water plus 2 ice cube trays. Yeah, it hurts for a minute or so, but I ice for 5-10 minutes and it DOES help.