Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel surgery

Posted by Fran W on 9/23/01 at 17:13 (061344)

Had tts on both feet 16 months ago.
Does anyone know how long it takes before
you get feeling back on the bottoms of
your feet, if ever? Does numbness go away
completely?

Re: Tarsal tunnel surgery

Carol C on 9/23/01 at 19:41 (061364)

Fran---prior to surgery, did you have any cortisone injections?
Just curious----my ortho doc told me that the level of relief that you
get from the cortisone injection will probably be about the same level of relief that you will get from the surgery---so that may be a guide for you, assuming that you had the injections prior to surgery. Of course,
that may not be true in every case, but just a broad guideline that may
be helpful to you.

cindyp on 9/23/01 at 20:09 (061371)

In my case it wasn't i got no relief for the one shot. I think they are pointless. But the surgery has brought me to about 80-85%.

Tammie on 9/23/01 at 21:53 (061380)

Carol, I really hope that is not the case in all , because then I will feel defeated as will I ever get final relief? I have numbness now but can live with it if I have no pain! But the cortisone shots provided me with no relief and actually after a few hours a great deal more pain! And right now 3 weeks after surgery I am so glad I did it so glad even if I don't get the 100% I can live with it! I just worry if it will return , in a vengence. As I still have some feelings , and numbness but on the whole it is so much easier to deal with .

This level of discomfort I can live with and feel it was a success! Heh did I tell you I sleep at night , it is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So on with the healing and no setbacks , Please!

wendyn on 9/23/01 at 22:55 (061391)

Fran - have you had any improvements from the surgery? What does your doctor have to say about the numbness?

Jana on 9/24/01 at 13:20 (061428)

What were your symptoms like prior to surgery? Did you also have a PF release? Do you feel your surgery was a success or is the numbness worse? What was your level of activity prior to surgery and what is it now? Most people who post on this board are only a few weeks postop. It is good to get information from someone who is further down the road with the process.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/01 at 20:29 (061470)

I generally advise patients that it takes about 7 months to see the full affects of tarsal tunnel surgery. Patients often get relief of pain long before 7 months is up relief of numbness takes longer. The degree to which numbness goes away depends on how much damage occurred to the nerve while it was 'entrapped.' Hopefully, you have seen improvement with your surgery. The likelihood of numbness getting better at 16 months out is not likely provided that the source of the numbess was TTS. What is the pattern of numbness?
Ed

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:32 (061489)

Yes I did have cortisone shots before surgery and for a few hours I did get relief. Unfortunately it didn't last and I stopped getting them

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:36 (061490)

I really don't feel like the surgery has helped much. Still have numbness and pain and all shoes are uncomfortable. If I knew I would feel this way I never would have had the surgery and just learned to live with it.

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:43 (061491)

My symptoms were pain and numbness. Did not have a PF release. I used to play tennis but haven't been able to get back to it. I have joined a gym thatis connected to a hospital and I'm trying to strenghten my body because I've been pretty idol for almost 2 years. I am considering acupunture but I'm not sure if thats the right road to take.

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:53 (061493)

I really don't think I'm that much improved since surgery. As for the numbness, I don't have much feeling along the bottoms of my feet, My big toes tingle and the tops of my feet are numb. At times I get shooting pains along the sides of my feet where the scars are and sometimes when my feet swell they feel like they are about to burst. I keep them elevated as much as possible, I sleep with a pillow under my knees so my feet don't touch the mattress. Before I started on Neurontin and Effexor I could barely walk through the grocery to shop. I would love to stop these pills but I feel a litle better when I take them. Before my feet felt like they were on fire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 22:18 (061688)

Fran:

Tarsal tunnel syndrome is an entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve--the nerve that gives sensation to the bottom of the feet. TTS would not cause numbness on top of your feet. Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test (NCV)?
Ed

Fran W on 9/26/01 at 22:41 (061696)

No, I did not have that test done but I will certainly look into it. Thanks

Carol C on 9/23/01 at 19:41 (061364)

Fran---prior to surgery, did you have any cortisone injections?
Just curious----my ortho doc told me that the level of relief that you
get from the cortisone injection will probably be about the same level of relief that you will get from the surgery---so that may be a guide for you, assuming that you had the injections prior to surgery. Of course,
that may not be true in every case, but just a broad guideline that may
be helpful to you.

cindyp on 9/23/01 at 20:09 (061371)

In my case it wasn't i got no relief for the one shot. I think they are pointless. But the surgery has brought me to about 80-85%.

Tammie on 9/23/01 at 21:53 (061380)

Carol, I really hope that is not the case in all , because then I will feel defeated as will I ever get final relief? I have numbness now but can live with it if I have no pain! But the cortisone shots provided me with no relief and actually after a few hours a great deal more pain! And right now 3 weeks after surgery I am so glad I did it so glad even if I don't get the 100% I can live with it! I just worry if it will return , in a vengence. As I still have some feelings , and numbness but on the whole it is so much easier to deal with .

This level of discomfort I can live with and feel it was a success! Heh did I tell you I sleep at night , it is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So on with the healing and no setbacks , Please!

wendyn on 9/23/01 at 22:55 (061391)

Fran - have you had any improvements from the surgery? What does your doctor have to say about the numbness?

Jana on 9/24/01 at 13:20 (061428)

What were your symptoms like prior to surgery? Did you also have a PF release? Do you feel your surgery was a success or is the numbness worse? What was your level of activity prior to surgery and what is it now? Most people who post on this board are only a few weeks postop. It is good to get information from someone who is further down the road with the process.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/01 at 20:29 (061470)

I generally advise patients that it takes about 7 months to see the full affects of tarsal tunnel surgery. Patients often get relief of pain long before 7 months is up relief of numbness takes longer. The degree to which numbness goes away depends on how much damage occurred to the nerve while it was 'entrapped.' Hopefully, you have seen improvement with your surgery. The likelihood of numbness getting better at 16 months out is not likely provided that the source of the numbess was TTS. What is the pattern of numbness?
Ed

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:32 (061489)

Yes I did have cortisone shots before surgery and for a few hours I did get relief. Unfortunately it didn't last and I stopped getting them

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:36 (061490)

I really don't feel like the surgery has helped much. Still have numbness and pain and all shoes are uncomfortable. If I knew I would feel this way I never would have had the surgery and just learned to live with it.

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:43 (061491)

My symptoms were pain and numbness. Did not have a PF release. I used to play tennis but haven't been able to get back to it. I have joined a gym thatis connected to a hospital and I'm trying to strenghten my body because I've been pretty idol for almost 2 years. I am considering acupunture but I'm not sure if thats the right road to take.

Fran W on 9/25/01 at 00:53 (061493)

I really don't think I'm that much improved since surgery. As for the numbness, I don't have much feeling along the bottoms of my feet, My big toes tingle and the tops of my feet are numb. At times I get shooting pains along the sides of my feet where the scars are and sometimes when my feet swell they feel like they are about to burst. I keep them elevated as much as possible, I sleep with a pillow under my knees so my feet don't touch the mattress. Before I started on Neurontin and Effexor I could barely walk through the grocery to shop. I would love to stop these pills but I feel a litle better when I take them. Before my feet felt like they were on fire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 22:18 (061688)

Fran:

Tarsal tunnel syndrome is an entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve--the nerve that gives sensation to the bottom of the feet. TTS would not cause numbness on top of your feet. Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test (NCV)?
Ed

Fran W on 9/26/01 at 22:41 (061696)

No, I did not have that test done but I will certainly look into it. Thanks