Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Still moderately proud to be Canadian

Posted by wendyn on 9/23/01 at 21:29 (061376)

I am proud of Candians for how they have behaved since September 11. I am so deeply ashamed of my government - I don't even know how to explain how it feels.

To watch your president give his speech Thursday night - and see Tony Blair had made it there across an ocean...but my 'leader' was no where to be found......

The intentional omission of Canada on the list of 'Thank you's' from Bush in his speech certainly got our attention. There are a few here who would like to believe it was an oversight - or just a 'given' that we would help out.

Most of us know it was an intentional ommission - meant to send my government a loud message that their foot shuffling-look the other way-pretend you won't have to take a stand attitude is as unacceptable as it would have been if they'd walked over to Osama himself and patted him on the back. As Bush said, if you aren't with us, you are against us.

I know that Chretien is meeting with Bush tomorrow, and he will finally tour the WTC area (what - only 2 weeks after the event...what's the rush?!) Maybe your President will be able to knock some sense into Chretien's head....before we really lose faith in our countrie's ability to be able to step up to the plate. LIke I've told you before, Canadian's are a horribly apathetic bunch - and it's almost impossible to get them excited or motivated about anything. Hopefully this time they will dig in and yell loud enough that our government will decide to come through.

What's the deal with the flags and the trucks down there - I have not heard?

Re: And rightly so !

BrianG on 9/23/01 at 22:06 (061383)

Hi Wendy,

It's not just trucks. Everywhere you see flags on mom's mini vans, school bus's, police cars, motorcycles, small cars, big cars, semi's, mopeds, etc. I think I've seen more flags than the Gulf conflict, and that was ALOT of Red, White and Blue!!!

Today we raised the flags to the top of the poles again, the official mourning is over and the re-building will begin. I would have thought the flags would have been at half mast for a month, but that is reserved for the loss of a President, and not much more.

As a Vietnam veteran, I'm glad to see the renewed patriotism, but look what it took to get peope involved again. Wendy, we are an apathetic bunch ourselves at times, but can really rise to the occasion when needed.

I think with time you will see that Canada is indeed a great neighbor to the USA. You will be on board soon, I have no doubt.

Thanks for the thoughts
BCG

wendyn on 9/23/01 at 22:24 (061385)

Thanks Brian..
No - with the flags, I know that everyone is flying them. Any Americans here also have them out...my mom (who was born in Chicago) was heartbroken to find that she didn't have an American flag in the house.

What I meant was that a post here made it sound like you are having some issues there in SF with flags on trucks? Some controversy? I thought maybe I had missed something.

BGCPed on 9/23/01 at 22:52 (061390)

They did have an issue. Some guys put flags on the truck and some folks said it was a no no. There also was a company that told workers they had to take flags off of work stations so they didnt upset other workers. Also a library that did it as well...real Americans by God

Re: Still moderately proud to be Canadian

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 09:03 (061402)

Wendyn,

I think the Canadian citizens have been with us all along. I just returned from a long weekend in Canada and I can't begin to tell you my feelings, seeing so many Canadian homes, businesses and churches displaying an American Flag. My question is, would we have shown the same respect toward Canadian Citizens?

BrianG on 9/24/01 at 10:36 (061412)

Opps, musta been the meds again :*)
I am prohibited from wearing a flag, or anything else, on my company issued uniform, and badge (Security). I do run the building flags up in the morning though, and it's my pleasue to do it!

BCG

john h on 9/24/01 at 10:43 (061413)

I hardly ever separate, in my mind, Canada from the U.S. Wendy. Any attack on one is an attack on the other. I would not be bothered that Canada was not singled out by Bush as it is a given that Canada is nearly always on our side and the other way around. It is not much different than Bush did not single out Texas. No need to. Our borders have for the most part been open. I saw a Canadian General who was former head of NATO on TV this past week. His thoughts as was his American counterpart was rather than try to protect Amerian/Canadian border crossings to tighten security around Canada so that basically the American/Canadian bourders become one big safety net. Before American entered WWII my uncle enlisted in the Canadian Army and died early on in the fighting with Germany.

BG CPed on 9/24/01 at 14:17 (061434)

Canada is cool. Probably just an oversite. We are so close to them they kind of become an extension of the US.

Steve P on 9/24/01 at 15:49 (061445)

I agree! We know that Canada is always with us.

BTW, Celine Dion did a great job singing 'God Bless America' on the TV special. Not bad for a French-speaking Canadian!

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 20:01 (061463)

Pauline - where were you in Canada?

I was glad to see our PM sat down and had a chat with Bush today...makes me feel a little better.

You don't realize how devestating it was to Candians to seemingly be specifically excluded in Bush's list of thank yous. I still don't think it was an oversight - I think he was frustrated with my government's lack of commitment...and he wanted to bring that to the attention of everyone in Canada.

He was quite sucessful.

Regardless, I hope that he and Jean worked everything out and he's received full support.

I still don't know what the deal is with the flags when you say they've been removed from some places - and you're not allowed to put them others....can you fill me in?

Re: To Wendyn

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 21:26 (061478)

Hi Wendyn,
I'm a little confused by your post, because I never said anything about flags being removed or allowed in certain places. In any case, we got in to catch some Shakespeare and Shaw and as I mentioned I was almost brought to tears seeing so many private homes, business and churches displaying American Flags. I don't know how many Americans would even consider displaying a Canadian flag in their windows had the tables been turned.

I believe you live in what I call 'God's Country' in or near the Canadian Rockies. Like the Alps you can never capture it in a photo. What I think makes Canada a good friend and a great country are it's people. I always feel safe when I visit and always know if I need help a Canadian's hand isn't very far away. I remember on my first trip to Toronto, I was befriended by a perfect stranger on the metro who spent an entire week-end showing me around town. We still remain good friends today. I've returned to Toronto many many times since then, but I don't think any visit will be more memorable than my first.

Janet C on 9/24/01 at 21:56 (061480)

My husband and I both immediately picked up on that seriously rude omission in Bush's speech as well, Wendy. By complimenting Great Britain, and calling them our greatest allies, or friends, - or whatever he said - I believe he alienated all the other countries in the world, but especially Canada, our good friends and neighbors.

Maybe he could have said that in private to Tony Blair, but I believe that comment was inappropriate for these troubled times. I was surprised that more people didn't notice it, and mention it as well. I believe apologies are in order.

And I was truly impressed to hear our National Anthem sung in Canada, as well as G.B., and all the countries in Europe that took several minutes of silent respect. It brought tears to my eyes, to see that around the world, people were grieving, just like us. And I wonder if America would have the same consideration if this tragedy had occurred in another country.

Of course, they did destroy the WORLD Trade Center, and there were lives lost from all over our planet. Terribly sad.

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:11 (061481)

Sorry for the confusion Pauline...some other people were making reference to not being able to fly the flag in certain places. I'm still not sure what they were talking about.

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:52 (061483)

Thanks Janet - although I don't think Bush was being rude. In my perception - he was delivering a message. Don't forget - Tony Blair was there, my PM who lives next door was not. As a Canadian - I think he should have been there.

You're not the first American who's asked whether or not you folks would have responded the same way. I don't know. I think you would - given the opportunity. The fact is though, you don't often hear too much about what happens elsewhere. I remember being in the U.S. during a Federal election - and despite scanning the papers...I couldn't figure out who the new leader of my country was.

I kind of think that if this had happened here - you would have heard about it though.

Did you know that I know the words to 'America the Beautiful'? Most of my family is American - and when my cousin and I were about 10, we taught each other our National Anthems (we were on a boring car trip and had nothing better to do). I wonder if she remembers Oh Canada? I think I know most of the words - but if I screw some up - don't laugh...

Oh beautiful for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain
America, America, God shed his light on thee
And crown thee good (?) with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

Hmmm. Now that I type that out - it looks pretty small. Maybe that's not all of it. Oh well - best I can do...

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:56 (061484)

Did I mention a coworker of mine lost his brother in the WTC? He had to fly down there this week to file the missings persons report etc. Amazing and how many lives of so many people have been personally hurt by this.

Re: Very Good, Wendy!

Janet C on 9/25/01 at 17:09 (061540)

Wendy,

It's true, our news stations tend to give us the same, mostly local news stories. But I do think that we would have heard about it if such a tragic event occurred in another country, especially considering the magnitude of it. However, I believe we also are too complacent, and an apathetic bunch. After all, the U.S.S. Cole was bombed, and where was our outrage, and reaction to that?

I also want to compliment you on knowing (most of) the words to 'America the Beautiful'.

But, I believe it goes:

...God shed His 'Grace' on thee,
And crown 'Thy' good with brotherhood...

Now, I have another question for you - don't you Canadians consider yourselves also Americans? You do reside on the North American continent, do you not?

All the best, Janet

Re: Here is our National Anthem's words:

Janet C. on 9/25/01 at 18:09 (061545)

The Star Spangled Banner
By Francis Scott Key

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

Wendy, can you print the words to 'O Canada' for us? I'd like to know them, as well.

Thanks, Janet

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 18:48 (061558)

Dear Janet , Thank you so much for posting this . Now my question is how many Americans really know all the words to this song?

Wendy I think that is a wonderful idea that Janet had for you to print here on the board 'O Canada ' I would like to learn it .

Thanks ladies , peace ,Laurie R

Re: wendyn

Tammie on 9/25/01 at 18:51 (061560)

Count me in to I would like to see them to as I do not believe I have ever. Gosh it feels good to grow,(with knowledge) !

Re: Oh Canada

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 20:05 (061574)

And won't I be embarrassed if I screw this ones up (and yes - I did know all the words to the Star Spangled banner...raised on hockey games remember).

Oh Canada,
Our home and native land
True patriot love
In thy sons command
With glowing pride
We see thee rise, our true north strong and free
From far and wide, Oh Canada - we stand on guard for thee
God keep our land, glorious and free,
Oh Canada - we stand on guard for thee...Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee.

Hoping I got it right!!!

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 20:09 (061575)

Thanks Janet - I'm glad I got it close...that was a long time ago!

I have an 8 year old that likes to say he's American (because he's North American....he thinks he's being pretty smart when he points that out)...but seriously no...you would never hear a Canadian refer to themselves as American or North American.

BG CPed on 9/25/01 at 21:47 (061586)

Wendy you forgot the line about Don Cherry

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 22:06 (061591)

Your right BGCPED...

I think there's one in there some where that goes something like..

With be-mused faces,
We see thy collar,
It makes us laugh with glee.

We're forced to hear
your Rant and rave
and wish to silence thee.

BG CPed on 9/26/01 at 06:49 (061603)

You cant silence Don Cherry, he is the man. Wish we had guys like him here for football and basketball. I dont know where he finds those suits with those collars. I think they were cool about 5 years ago for about 6 months

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 07:48 (061608)

Oh no - he's been wearing them FOREVER. My understanding is that he has them custom made.

Tammy M on 9/26/01 at 21:32 (061683)

As a fellow Canadian, I have to say that perhaps we were not mentioned because we just do not have the military power of some of the other countries that were mentioned. Colin Powell said himself that Canadian support to the U.S. has been unquestionable,ie. the way we opened our homes to strangers who were stranded during this tragedy. We are able to aid America in other ways, not necesarily militarily. We just do not have the armed forces needed in an event this big. But, we are here, and are ready to help at a moment's notice. In my heart, there is no border between our two countries.

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 22:50 (061700)

Thanks for some comments Tammy M! I was beginning to feel like one lonely Canuck out here all by myself!

BrianG on 9/23/01 at 22:06 (061383)

Hi Wendy,

It's not just trucks. Everywhere you see flags on mom's mini vans, school bus's, police cars, motorcycles, small cars, big cars, semi's, mopeds, etc. I think I've seen more flags than the Gulf conflict, and that was ALOT of Red, White and Blue!!!

Today we raised the flags to the top of the poles again, the official mourning is over and the re-building will begin. I would have thought the flags would have been at half mast for a month, but that is reserved for the loss of a President, and not much more.

As a Vietnam veteran, I'm glad to see the renewed patriotism, but look what it took to get peope involved again. Wendy, we are an apathetic bunch ourselves at times, but can really rise to the occasion when needed.

I think with time you will see that Canada is indeed a great neighbor to the USA. You will be on board soon, I have no doubt.

Thanks for the thoughts
BCG

wendyn on 9/23/01 at 22:24 (061385)

Thanks Brian..
No - with the flags, I know that everyone is flying them. Any Americans here also have them out...my mom (who was born in Chicago) was heartbroken to find that she didn't have an American flag in the house.

What I meant was that a post here made it sound like you are having some issues there in SF with flags on trucks? Some controversy? I thought maybe I had missed something.

BGCPed on 9/23/01 at 22:52 (061390)

They did have an issue. Some guys put flags on the truck and some folks said it was a no no. There also was a company that told workers they had to take flags off of work stations so they didnt upset other workers. Also a library that did it as well...real Americans by God

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 09:03 (061402)

Wendyn,

I think the Canadian citizens have been with us all along. I just returned from a long weekend in Canada and I can't begin to tell you my feelings, seeing so many Canadian homes, businesses and churches displaying an American Flag. My question is, would we have shown the same respect toward Canadian Citizens?

BrianG on 9/24/01 at 10:36 (061412)

Opps, musta been the meds again :*)
I am prohibited from wearing a flag, or anything else, on my company issued uniform, and badge (Security). I do run the building flags up in the morning though, and it's my pleasue to do it!

BCG

john h on 9/24/01 at 10:43 (061413)

I hardly ever separate, in my mind, Canada from the U.S. Wendy. Any attack on one is an attack on the other. I would not be bothered that Canada was not singled out by Bush as it is a given that Canada is nearly always on our side and the other way around. It is not much different than Bush did not single out Texas. No need to. Our borders have for the most part been open. I saw a Canadian General who was former head of NATO on TV this past week. His thoughts as was his American counterpart was rather than try to protect Amerian/Canadian border crossings to tighten security around Canada so that basically the American/Canadian bourders become one big safety net. Before American entered WWII my uncle enlisted in the Canadian Army and died early on in the fighting with Germany.

BG CPed on 9/24/01 at 14:17 (061434)

Canada is cool. Probably just an oversite. We are so close to them they kind of become an extension of the US.

Steve P on 9/24/01 at 15:49 (061445)

I agree! We know that Canada is always with us.

BTW, Celine Dion did a great job singing 'God Bless America' on the TV special. Not bad for a French-speaking Canadian!

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 20:01 (061463)

Pauline - where were you in Canada?

I was glad to see our PM sat down and had a chat with Bush today...makes me feel a little better.

You don't realize how devestating it was to Candians to seemingly be specifically excluded in Bush's list of thank yous. I still don't think it was an oversight - I think he was frustrated with my government's lack of commitment...and he wanted to bring that to the attention of everyone in Canada.

He was quite sucessful.

Regardless, I hope that he and Jean worked everything out and he's received full support.

I still don't know what the deal is with the flags when you say they've been removed from some places - and you're not allowed to put them others....can you fill me in?

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 21:26 (061478)

Hi Wendyn,
I'm a little confused by your post, because I never said anything about flags being removed or allowed in certain places. In any case, we got in to catch some Shakespeare and Shaw and as I mentioned I was almost brought to tears seeing so many private homes, business and churches displaying American Flags. I don't know how many Americans would even consider displaying a Canadian flag in their windows had the tables been turned.

I believe you live in what I call 'God's Country' in or near the Canadian Rockies. Like the Alps you can never capture it in a photo. What I think makes Canada a good friend and a great country are it's people. I always feel safe when I visit and always know if I need help a Canadian's hand isn't very far away. I remember on my first trip to Toronto, I was befriended by a perfect stranger on the metro who spent an entire week-end showing me around town. We still remain good friends today. I've returned to Toronto many many times since then, but I don't think any visit will be more memorable than my first.

Janet C on 9/24/01 at 21:56 (061480)

My husband and I both immediately picked up on that seriously rude omission in Bush's speech as well, Wendy. By complimenting Great Britain, and calling them our greatest allies, or friends, - or whatever he said - I believe he alienated all the other countries in the world, but especially Canada, our good friends and neighbors.

Maybe he could have said that in private to Tony Blair, but I believe that comment was inappropriate for these troubled times. I was surprised that more people didn't notice it, and mention it as well. I believe apologies are in order.

And I was truly impressed to hear our National Anthem sung in Canada, as well as G.B., and all the countries in Europe that took several minutes of silent respect. It brought tears to my eyes, to see that around the world, people were grieving, just like us. And I wonder if America would have the same consideration if this tragedy had occurred in another country.

Of course, they did destroy the WORLD Trade Center, and there were lives lost from all over our planet. Terribly sad.

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:11 (061481)

Sorry for the confusion Pauline...some other people were making reference to not being able to fly the flag in certain places. I'm still not sure what they were talking about.

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:52 (061483)

Thanks Janet - although I don't think Bush was being rude. In my perception - he was delivering a message. Don't forget - Tony Blair was there, my PM who lives next door was not. As a Canadian - I think he should have been there.

You're not the first American who's asked whether or not you folks would have responded the same way. I don't know. I think you would - given the opportunity. The fact is though, you don't often hear too much about what happens elsewhere. I remember being in the U.S. during a Federal election - and despite scanning the papers...I couldn't figure out who the new leader of my country was.

I kind of think that if this had happened here - you would have heard about it though.

Did you know that I know the words to 'America the Beautiful'? Most of my family is American - and when my cousin and I were about 10, we taught each other our National Anthems (we were on a boring car trip and had nothing better to do). I wonder if she remembers Oh Canada? I think I know most of the words - but if I screw some up - don't laugh...

Oh beautiful for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain
America, America, God shed his light on thee
And crown thee good (?) with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

Hmmm. Now that I type that out - it looks pretty small. Maybe that's not all of it. Oh well - best I can do...

wendyn on 9/24/01 at 22:56 (061484)

Did I mention a coworker of mine lost his brother in the WTC? He had to fly down there this week to file the missings persons report etc. Amazing and how many lives of so many people have been personally hurt by this.

Janet C on 9/25/01 at 17:09 (061540)

Wendy,

It's true, our news stations tend to give us the same, mostly local news stories. But I do think that we would have heard about it if such a tragic event occurred in another country, especially considering the magnitude of it. However, I believe we also are too complacent, and an apathetic bunch. After all, the U.S.S. Cole was bombed, and where was our outrage, and reaction to that?

I also want to compliment you on knowing (most of) the words to 'America the Beautiful'.

But, I believe it goes:

...God shed His 'Grace' on thee,
And crown 'Thy' good with brotherhood...

Now, I have another question for you - don't you Canadians consider yourselves also Americans? You do reside on the North American continent, do you not?

All the best, Janet

Janet C. on 9/25/01 at 18:09 (061545)

The Star Spangled Banner
By Francis Scott Key

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

Wendy, can you print the words to 'O Canada' for us? I'd like to know them, as well.

Thanks, Janet

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 18:48 (061558)

Dear Janet , Thank you so much for posting this . Now my question is how many Americans really know all the words to this song?

Wendy I think that is a wonderful idea that Janet had for you to print here on the board 'O Canada ' I would like to learn it .

Thanks ladies , peace ,Laurie R

Re: wendyn

Tammie on 9/25/01 at 18:51 (061560)

Count me in to I would like to see them to as I do not believe I have ever. Gosh it feels good to grow,(with knowledge) !

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 20:05 (061574)

And won't I be embarrassed if I screw this ones up (and yes - I did know all the words to the Star Spangled banner...raised on hockey games remember).

Oh Canada,
Our home and native land
True patriot love
In thy sons command
With glowing pride
We see thee rise, our true north strong and free
From far and wide, Oh Canada - we stand on guard for thee
God keep our land, glorious and free,
Oh Canada - we stand on guard for thee...Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee.

Hoping I got it right!!!

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 20:09 (061575)

Thanks Janet - I'm glad I got it close...that was a long time ago!

I have an 8 year old that likes to say he's American (because he's North American....he thinks he's being pretty smart when he points that out)...but seriously no...you would never hear a Canadian refer to themselves as American or North American.

BG CPed on 9/25/01 at 21:47 (061586)

Wendy you forgot the line about Don Cherry

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 22:06 (061591)

Your right BGCPED...

I think there's one in there some where that goes something like..

With be-mused faces,
We see thy collar,
It makes us laugh with glee.

We're forced to hear
your Rant and rave
and wish to silence thee.

BG CPed on 9/26/01 at 06:49 (061603)

You cant silence Don Cherry, he is the man. Wish we had guys like him here for football and basketball. I dont know where he finds those suits with those collars. I think they were cool about 5 years ago for about 6 months

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 07:48 (061608)

Oh no - he's been wearing them FOREVER. My understanding is that he has them custom made.

Tammy M on 9/26/01 at 21:32 (061683)

As a fellow Canadian, I have to say that perhaps we were not mentioned because we just do not have the military power of some of the other countries that were mentioned. Colin Powell said himself that Canadian support to the U.S. has been unquestionable,ie. the way we opened our homes to strangers who were stranded during this tragedy. We are able to aid America in other ways, not necesarily militarily. We just do not have the armed forces needed in an event this big. But, we are here, and are ready to help at a moment's notice. In my heart, there is no border between our two countries.

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 22:50 (061700)

Thanks for some comments Tammy M! I was beginning to feel like one lonely Canuck out here all by myself!