Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for those who have had the surgery..

Posted by Paula G. on 9/24/01 at 10:29 (061409)

Hi. Just a couple of questions. I had the surgery 10 days ago. Seems people in society today expect quick healings to take place I guess. I hear from all kinds of people who have had all kinds of surgeries. A friend told me she had abdominal surgery and was off pain meds in a few days. I then asked her 'oh, so did you get up and walk on your stomach?'
That left her speechless!
Anywhere else on the body and that body part can rest and heal. But not so with the foot surgery. The incision heals and we think we can get up and get going. Wrong.
I guess my questions are, is it wrong to need medication after only 10 days? I need to exercise and walk yes, but then cannot rest due to the pain. No pain, no gain they say and that is right to a point but when it hinders you. I am done in just getting a shower and getting dressed! You who have been there know what I mean. I get stitches out today, should I ask for more medication?
Also, how do we, the person that has had the surgery, take it easy on ourselves? Not feeling guilty resting. Because with this surgery you must be off your feet to rest the body. How do you learn to give yourself a break? That it is a very slow process and little milestones are the ones to cheer about?

Re: Question for those who have had the surgery..

BrianG on 9/24/01 at 10:56 (061416)

Hi Paula G,

We all have different tolerances to pain, and we all heal at different rates. You could most definatly need more pain meds at this point. Keep your doctor updated, he can't read your mind. Try to write something out for your doc, explaing how the pain is effecting you. If he has something to put in your file, he'll be more apt to take care of you.

Good luck
BCG

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 12:02 (061418)

Paula,
Different pain meds provide different amounts of relief. Some allow less medication because they control pain better. I don't think you can measure the need for pain medication in terms of right or wrong. Express your feelings to your doctor openly, without reservation. If your still in pain it needs to be treated. What is gained by leaving a person in misery? The one problem I find is that physicians tend to use their 'old favorites' in treating pain when newer and possibly better choices could be made available to the patient. They have to get out of the ruts.

Re: Paula, no pain no gain is not in effect right now

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 12:36 (061422)

Paula, My dr. told me this rule does not apply to healing from this surgery ! He told me that if there is pain then something is being overdone!
I tried to explain to you about this. If you are expierancing allot of pain are you overdoing what you should'nt be doing? I was told and maybe someone else will please chirp right in here if I am wrong(Please) That if you are feeling pain and you are up and any swelling then it is time to back off and rest and elevate the foot. That our body is trying to tell us something, I sure wish Julie was here as she has tried to teach me how to hear my body talk to me!

I think that 10 days is not very long to expect to be able to be up doing your hmmm laundry or picking up or being on your feet more then a short time without taking a break to elevate and rest the foot especially hearing that you have pain . This time my dr. told my hubby right in the office no laundry no cooking no dishes no standing no shopping not much but short ups for bathroom and a short walk no more then 5 min to 10 min , and that was for 2 weeks ! Surgery discomfort I am told is ok, but pain is not! My Dr. went one farther he said for you the no pain no gain rule is not in effect totaly ignore that rule. I had to sign a contract stating to ignore his advice and his guidelines which were printed out for me may result in poor healing and poor results.

Knowing how I am, I am just wondering if you are not giving yourself permission to take the time needed to heal, even if it means letting the dishes , laundry, picking up after the kids, or lawn or whatever else that may beg for u to do (GO)? I feel like I should hang my head in shame as I have done all of this but maybe , having done it I can tell you from expierance why you should not do it! It is very hard to just sit and sit and sit, I truly do understand and I understand the guilt that we feel about it! But try and think of it this way to heal means you will be able to take care of all those things and many more when you are feeling better and maybe do thease without the pain you have had for so very long! To not listen might mean that you will not heal properly and maybe have complications or worse! Or maybe in the long run might take a lot longer to heal.

In any case I urge you to talk with your Dr. today and ask him how he feels about your healing and what does he want you to do and for what lenghth of time! It sometimes is hard for us to judge what and how quickly we should jump right back into action,if we are feeling even a margin bit able to! Remember all the walking and doing thru pain , well now is not that time rest , elevate and let your hubby which you have told me is a gem, take care of you and family and enjoy it! You never know when the role will be reversed! Love to you and hugssssss and I do hope that u feel better soon! I am unable to get into Yahoo today for some reason so posted to you here in hopes you will read it! Good Luck!

Paula G. on 9/24/01 at 13:23 (061429)

Yes, Tammie. I understand and obey. LOL. Thank you for the answers. It is not in my head...but in my feet I know...Seriously, I will take your advice. Just crash and curl up with my new book and get lazy!!!!! I know you understand. Showering and dressing is enough for the morning. I have a chair and just sit in the shower. You outta see it! You are the greatest. That was why I came here. I knew I would get some good answers before seeing my doctor. Now I kind of know more what to ask and not feel bad. We so often forget we are the customer...they are serving US! We are paying them! Will let you all know what I find out. Thanks

Re: Please tell more about your surgery...

Jana on 9/24/01 at 13:36 (061432)

Did you have the surgery for TTS or PF? When was your surgery and do you feel it was a success? Where you bilateral? If so, how long did you wait between surgeries? How many weeks where you off work (do you have a desk job or do you have to walk as a part of your job?)

Re: Jana, who are u asking?

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 14:38 (061437)

Jana, I am sorry but who are you directing your questions to? I don't want to butt in or answer if meant for someone else!

Re: Jana.

Paula G. on 9/24/01 at 16:03 (061450)

If you are asking me, I had my surgery September 14th. I had a partial release of the fascia, he filed down the heel spur and he found a nerve had been compressed by the spur and he took care of that. All in all, it was about a 5 inch incision.
I had stitches out today. Yes, I already consider the surgery a success. I have pain, but the pain is different from PF pain. I am using crutches and doing very little at this point. The doctor told me it could take a few months to really know if the surgery was successful or not. But, I have a positive attitude and commitment to my recovery from this. I will go through the same surgery next year on the other foot if this does okay.
You want a good doctor who has used every treatment already other than surgery. If I had a desk job, I could probably go back to work soon, but if not it could be a very long time before going back to work. My doctor said possibly 6 months to gain full recovery.
A lot depends upon what you do after the surgery...as far as recovery. Not overdoing it like Tammie keeps telling me. LOL. I am learning to take it easy and be lazy.
Feel free to e-mail me personally at ladygast@yahoo.com

Re: Question for the doctors.

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 18:29 (061457)

In Jana's reply she said her doctor found a nerve being compressed by the spur and took care of it. My question is when you consider the size of nerves how is it possible to do this type of surgery without using some type of magnification? Granted her surgery was an open surgery, but what are these doctors doing when they release compressed nerves using EPF surgery, the so called blind release?

Re: To Paula

Jana on 9/24/01 at 19:13 (061460)

Did you have TTS?

Re: Asking Tammy

Jana on 9/24/01 at 19:15 (061461)

Actually I was asking you...

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 21:05 (061473)

I see then I shall try to reply to your questions! Yes I had the pf release and a spur taken care of on april 17 they did a min incision on side of heel.
The surgery it self was not bad, it was the recovery that was difficult, me being impatient and hard headed did not want to listen to what I was told.
I had the notion that surgery and healing in 10 days and would be back to life as I knew it and work which I love as much as I can say. Well that was
not going to be. Now as I tell u this please keep in mind that I was still having the nerve stuff besides the release,but at time we were hoping it was healing, and nerve regenteration. I had a gut feeling it was more but then I to did not want to think it. You may want to do a search on previous posts on my name.

Actually, I feel as tho I was quite the baby, that surgery, I think allot was fear and the unknown, and some pain maybe. I was very unprepared to
accept the long term healing, I wanted to return to work and felt I was misled that it would or should not be that long. In reality and hind site I was
warned and told my many including my Dr. but I did not want to hear it I thought i was going to beat it sooner. LOL not so my friend. I am not really sure what it is that you need from me , I would like to help if I can I am a strong believer that you must do what you and your Dr. think best for you and your case.

I can tell u That in 2 weeks I felt maybe somewhat better, but it is hard to say as so much was going on, including maybe this tts stuff. Which he felt was a problem but we were trying to be somewhat conservitive, as I understand it and I may be wrong so anyone that knows better (PLEASE) correct me, that some symptoms of pf and tts are very similar and hard to distinguish. I did not have nerve test or the mri for this, the dr. felt and another dr. also felt that there was enough to say it was the tts this time before I had the second surgery. I am very happy I had this one whatever the results are I am happy!

It has been 3 weeks for me and I can sleep at night, before this surgery I had a burning feeling like foot was afire, I had sharp like a machette (hot) going thru my foot, I had shocking so often it was like if it was'nt happening it drew my attention to it,I had the tingling feeling like a prickly sensation,
electrical jolts going from ankle area (inside ankle) to the big toe, sometimes my calf would feel jolts also. My inner ankle would hurt so badly I could not touch it with a sheet, I had to put a pillow between legs to keep from touching ankle area. Now I seemed to esculate at evening or as day wore on and night time being the worse, many many many sleepless nights. It would hurt so bad I would try to get up and do something just to forget it for a bit, with no success. I was not a pill person, honestly I do not even take tylonol rarely! I had become the person waiting for the next pill.

I would take ultram and it would allow me to rest for 2 hours it was like clockwork and I would wake up and try to breethe thru the pain or just do anything till I could take another. I will say this I cheated and sometimes took another if it was that bad, I was living thru the medicine which was not keeping up to it in no way. I was frightened as I could do nothing any more that I enjoyed I was in a depression over no sleep no life no job family who did not understand and co workers breathing down my neck with whys to are u not better yet. Mind you this was more to the end, before my decision to have the tts surgery. After trying pt and cortisone shots and mobic and celebrex, vioxx, relephan,ultrasound and that ionton??? Spelling????

My decision was made for surgery after I could not take it any longer and called him and said help me or put me out of this misery with medication or anything cut it off I do not care any more.We met the next day and he listened to me cry and he said we need to talk about what is left to try. For me there was not much left except the surgery and I said I think I am ready but I am scared. He told me all about it and my hubby said schedual it and he said no this is your wifes decision and I need her to feel comfortable , he asked me to go get more opioions if I like and if I want he will still be there for me, said he would understand, said take time I need, and told me to let him know what I had decided and he would not do anything till I thought about it for at least the weekend.

He made me sign a contract with him as he said He wanted me to be aware of MY not listening and doing as he instructs me to, that i am risking my healing properly and maybe worse, He really told hubby to the point of what he did not want me to do right in front of us both, saying surgery was risky but had the high possibilities of good outcome if I followed to the t lol. He told me recovery would be very much like the first surgery(pf release and spur) But he absoulty did not wanting me to do anything for 2 weeks and after would be slow , but to listen to my body and do as it said. I could go on and on but think u get the idea, and this is quiet lengthly already so will end this on this note,

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat , I can now sleep with pretty much more comfort, not to say a ocasional twinge is not there as they are still coming but no where near as hard and as much. I have a numbness around ankle, and inner rim of heelup to the arch, I can live with it , there is swelling there still so may go away after that is gone I do not know . I am pretty much pain free now, I have a lot of stiffness and weakness in ankle and foot area,but it has been 6 months with 2 surgeries and will take time to regain some of that back I am sure. I have a sore arch area but again I can live like this if it does not heal which I have time yet I think, I have trouble walking in my shoes with orthodics they irritate my sole of my foot and my shoe irritates the ankle, he put a elastic sleeve on foot but sometimes I cannot stand the preessure from it and have to remove it but again I am hoping it is swelling causing some of this and if not I can live with this. I cant express how much the pain is gone, not totaly mind u but enough to make me glad I did this. I am a nurses aide and it is 3 weeks post surgery for tts, I could not do my job at this point I am not certain about a job at desk either, as I have position trouble, meaning sometimes foot hurts when up and sometimes hurts hanging down which is the most uncomfortable.
I could work a desk job maybe on a minimum time maybe a few hours with a break I could not tell u for sure, I did not imagine how much this surgery hurt, it was much more painful recovery then last, the nerve stuff went capooy for many days,and still I have times that are not great.
I imagaine every one is different and heals at own rate, so is not fair of me to say, for me this was right for you it must be your decision,
If you would like more info u may email me at doeeyesx2@yahoo.com I would be happy to answer any thing that u might like to know. I feel a bit consious of being long winded and taking up so much room here! I hope that i have answered some of your questions. I couldnt remember all.

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 21:10 (061474)

Ps lol my dr. said for my return to work to expect 8 to 12 weeks but to remember each heals at there own rate and I have to be at least 80% or he will not release me. It is 3 weeks and I feel about 60% maybe more depends on the day, and I am not on feet constant 8 to 12 hrs yet.If I had a desk job he said he would release me at 4 to 6 weeks but again it would depend on my personal progress, as we all heal when or body says lol!
One bad thing is we are never prepared for our bodies to disapoint us with slower then we like healing.

SuzanneK on 9/24/01 at 21:41 (061479)

Hi Paula. I had a 2/3 pf release and spur removal June 1, 2000. I am a teacher and had spent the last 6 weeks of school in a wheelchair, trying to make it until the summer. It was at least 2 weeks before I was able to bear weight on the foot, and that only for short distances. I used my crutches (and later only 1 crutch) for about 6 weeks. When school started up again Aug. 5, I was ready. I think I was ready only because I gave myself so much recuperation time and babied that foot.

I used pain meds 24/7 for the first 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Then I only used them when I had pain after being up and around. I almost always used them at night for the first month. After that, naproxen seemd to be enough. My doctor told me that pain was a sign I needed to rest, elevate, and ice. Then he told me to take the pain pill and rest, elevate, and ice. I did.

I think I'm probably 90% of where I was before my pf started. That's pretty good, I think. And I'm sure I've had a good recovery because I babied myself and didn't rush.

BrianG on 9/25/01 at 09:56 (061503)

Hi Pauline,

Obviously I'm no doc. About the EPF surgery. From what I was told, they cut on the side of the ankle where they will not hit any nerves. EPF is not for nerve type surgery, only for PF release. And, it's not really blind, they use a small camera and monitor. The blind surgery is where they go in from the bottom of the heel and no cameras are used. . Hope this helps.

BCG

Re: Suzanne

Paula G. on 9/25/01 at 15:55 (061536)

Thanks. I think I was walking way too much on that foot. But, the doctor did not restrict me in any way. Just to use crutches and bear weight to decrease possible scar tissue. I was not happy because I am suffering the effects of being on my feet too much.

Jana on 9/25/01 at 19:41 (061573)

So did you have the tarsal Tunnel release or the PF release surgery, or both? And can you tell me a little bit about what procedure you had? (You can reach me directly at:jcooper@gers.com)

BrianG on 9/24/01 at 10:56 (061416)

Hi Paula G,

We all have different tolerances to pain, and we all heal at different rates. You could most definatly need more pain meds at this point. Keep your doctor updated, he can't read your mind. Try to write something out for your doc, explaing how the pain is effecting you. If he has something to put in your file, he'll be more apt to take care of you.

Good luck
BCG

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 12:02 (061418)

Paula,
Different pain meds provide different amounts of relief. Some allow less medication because they control pain better. I don't think you can measure the need for pain medication in terms of right or wrong. Express your feelings to your doctor openly, without reservation. If your still in pain it needs to be treated. What is gained by leaving a person in misery? The one problem I find is that physicians tend to use their 'old favorites' in treating pain when newer and possibly better choices could be made available to the patient. They have to get out of the ruts.

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 12:36 (061422)

Paula, My dr. told me this rule does not apply to healing from this surgery ! He told me that if there is pain then something is being overdone!
I tried to explain to you about this. If you are expierancing allot of pain are you overdoing what you should'nt be doing? I was told and maybe someone else will please chirp right in here if I am wrong(Please) That if you are feeling pain and you are up and any swelling then it is time to back off and rest and elevate the foot. That our body is trying to tell us something, I sure wish Julie was here as she has tried to teach me how to hear my body talk to me!

I think that 10 days is not very long to expect to be able to be up doing your hmmm laundry or picking up or being on your feet more then a short time without taking a break to elevate and rest the foot especially hearing that you have pain . This time my dr. told my hubby right in the office no laundry no cooking no dishes no standing no shopping not much but short ups for bathroom and a short walk no more then 5 min to 10 min , and that was for 2 weeks ! Surgery discomfort I am told is ok, but pain is not! My Dr. went one farther he said for you the no pain no gain rule is not in effect totaly ignore that rule. I had to sign a contract stating to ignore his advice and his guidelines which were printed out for me may result in poor healing and poor results.

Knowing how I am, I am just wondering if you are not giving yourself permission to take the time needed to heal, even if it means letting the dishes , laundry, picking up after the kids, or lawn or whatever else that may beg for u to do (GO)? I feel like I should hang my head in shame as I have done all of this but maybe , having done it I can tell you from expierance why you should not do it! It is very hard to just sit and sit and sit, I truly do understand and I understand the guilt that we feel about it! But try and think of it this way to heal means you will be able to take care of all those things and many more when you are feeling better and maybe do thease without the pain you have had for so very long! To not listen might mean that you will not heal properly and maybe have complications or worse! Or maybe in the long run might take a lot longer to heal.

In any case I urge you to talk with your Dr. today and ask him how he feels about your healing and what does he want you to do and for what lenghth of time! It sometimes is hard for us to judge what and how quickly we should jump right back into action,if we are feeling even a margin bit able to! Remember all the walking and doing thru pain , well now is not that time rest , elevate and let your hubby which you have told me is a gem, take care of you and family and enjoy it! You never know when the role will be reversed! Love to you and hugssssss and I do hope that u feel better soon! I am unable to get into Yahoo today for some reason so posted to you here in hopes you will read it! Good Luck!

Paula G. on 9/24/01 at 13:23 (061429)

Yes, Tammie. I understand and obey. LOL. Thank you for the answers. It is not in my head...but in my feet I know...Seriously, I will take your advice. Just crash and curl up with my new book and get lazy!!!!! I know you understand. Showering and dressing is enough for the morning. I have a chair and just sit in the shower. You outta see it! You are the greatest. That was why I came here. I knew I would get some good answers before seeing my doctor. Now I kind of know more what to ask and not feel bad. We so often forget we are the customer...they are serving US! We are paying them! Will let you all know what I find out. Thanks

Re: Please tell more about your surgery...

Jana on 9/24/01 at 13:36 (061432)

Did you have the surgery for TTS or PF? When was your surgery and do you feel it was a success? Where you bilateral? If so, how long did you wait between surgeries? How many weeks where you off work (do you have a desk job or do you have to walk as a part of your job?)

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 14:38 (061437)

Jana, I am sorry but who are you directing your questions to? I don't want to butt in or answer if meant for someone else!

Re: Jana.

Paula G. on 9/24/01 at 16:03 (061450)

If you are asking me, I had my surgery September 14th. I had a partial release of the fascia, he filed down the heel spur and he found a nerve had been compressed by the spur and he took care of that. All in all, it was about a 5 inch incision.
I had stitches out today. Yes, I already consider the surgery a success. I have pain, but the pain is different from PF pain. I am using crutches and doing very little at this point. The doctor told me it could take a few months to really know if the surgery was successful or not. But, I have a positive attitude and commitment to my recovery from this. I will go through the same surgery next year on the other foot if this does okay.
You want a good doctor who has used every treatment already other than surgery. If I had a desk job, I could probably go back to work soon, but if not it could be a very long time before going back to work. My doctor said possibly 6 months to gain full recovery.
A lot depends upon what you do after the surgery...as far as recovery. Not overdoing it like Tammie keeps telling me. LOL. I am learning to take it easy and be lazy.
Feel free to e-mail me personally at ladygast@yahoo.com

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 18:29 (061457)

In Jana's reply she said her doctor found a nerve being compressed by the spur and took care of it. My question is when you consider the size of nerves how is it possible to do this type of surgery without using some type of magnification? Granted her surgery was an open surgery, but what are these doctors doing when they release compressed nerves using EPF surgery, the so called blind release?

Re: To Paula

Jana on 9/24/01 at 19:13 (061460)

Did you have TTS?

Jana on 9/24/01 at 19:15 (061461)

Actually I was asking you...

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 21:05 (061473)

I see then I shall try to reply to your questions! Yes I had the pf release and a spur taken care of on april 17 they did a min incision on side of heel.
The surgery it self was not bad, it was the recovery that was difficult, me being impatient and hard headed did not want to listen to what I was told.
I had the notion that surgery and healing in 10 days and would be back to life as I knew it and work which I love as much as I can say. Well that was
not going to be. Now as I tell u this please keep in mind that I was still having the nerve stuff besides the release,but at time we were hoping it was healing, and nerve regenteration. I had a gut feeling it was more but then I to did not want to think it. You may want to do a search on previous posts on my name.

Actually, I feel as tho I was quite the baby, that surgery, I think allot was fear and the unknown, and some pain maybe. I was very unprepared to
accept the long term healing, I wanted to return to work and felt I was misled that it would or should not be that long. In reality and hind site I was
warned and told my many including my Dr. but I did not want to hear it I thought i was going to beat it sooner. LOL not so my friend. I am not really sure what it is that you need from me , I would like to help if I can I am a strong believer that you must do what you and your Dr. think best for you and your case.

I can tell u That in 2 weeks I felt maybe somewhat better, but it is hard to say as so much was going on, including maybe this tts stuff. Which he felt was a problem but we were trying to be somewhat conservitive, as I understand it and I may be wrong so anyone that knows better (PLEASE) correct me, that some symptoms of pf and tts are very similar and hard to distinguish. I did not have nerve test or the mri for this, the dr. felt and another dr. also felt that there was enough to say it was the tts this time before I had the second surgery. I am very happy I had this one whatever the results are I am happy!

It has been 3 weeks for me and I can sleep at night, before this surgery I had a burning feeling like foot was afire, I had sharp like a machette (hot) going thru my foot, I had shocking so often it was like if it was'nt happening it drew my attention to it,I had the tingling feeling like a prickly sensation,
electrical jolts going from ankle area (inside ankle) to the big toe, sometimes my calf would feel jolts also. My inner ankle would hurt so badly I could not touch it with a sheet, I had to put a pillow between legs to keep from touching ankle area. Now I seemed to esculate at evening or as day wore on and night time being the worse, many many many sleepless nights. It would hurt so bad I would try to get up and do something just to forget it for a bit, with no success. I was not a pill person, honestly I do not even take tylonol rarely! I had become the person waiting for the next pill.

I would take ultram and it would allow me to rest for 2 hours it was like clockwork and I would wake up and try to breethe thru the pain or just do anything till I could take another. I will say this I cheated and sometimes took another if it was that bad, I was living thru the medicine which was not keeping up to it in no way. I was frightened as I could do nothing any more that I enjoyed I was in a depression over no sleep no life no job family who did not understand and co workers breathing down my neck with whys to are u not better yet. Mind you this was more to the end, before my decision to have the tts surgery. After trying pt and cortisone shots and mobic and celebrex, vioxx, relephan,ultrasound and that ionton??? Spelling????

My decision was made for surgery after I could not take it any longer and called him and said help me or put me out of this misery with medication or anything cut it off I do not care any more.We met the next day and he listened to me cry and he said we need to talk about what is left to try. For me there was not much left except the surgery and I said I think I am ready but I am scared. He told me all about it and my hubby said schedual it and he said no this is your wifes decision and I need her to feel comfortable , he asked me to go get more opioions if I like and if I want he will still be there for me, said he would understand, said take time I need, and told me to let him know what I had decided and he would not do anything till I thought about it for at least the weekend.

He made me sign a contract with him as he said He wanted me to be aware of MY not listening and doing as he instructs me to, that i am risking my healing properly and maybe worse, He really told hubby to the point of what he did not want me to do right in front of us both, saying surgery was risky but had the high possibilities of good outcome if I followed to the t lol. He told me recovery would be very much like the first surgery(pf release and spur) But he absoulty did not wanting me to do anything for 2 weeks and after would be slow , but to listen to my body and do as it said. I could go on and on but think u get the idea, and this is quiet lengthly already so will end this on this note,

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat , I can now sleep with pretty much more comfort, not to say a ocasional twinge is not there as they are still coming but no where near as hard and as much. I have a numbness around ankle, and inner rim of heelup to the arch, I can live with it , there is swelling there still so may go away after that is gone I do not know . I am pretty much pain free now, I have a lot of stiffness and weakness in ankle and foot area,but it has been 6 months with 2 surgeries and will take time to regain some of that back I am sure. I have a sore arch area but again I can live like this if it does not heal which I have time yet I think, I have trouble walking in my shoes with orthodics they irritate my sole of my foot and my shoe irritates the ankle, he put a elastic sleeve on foot but sometimes I cannot stand the preessure from it and have to remove it but again I am hoping it is swelling causing some of this and if not I can live with this. I cant express how much the pain is gone, not totaly mind u but enough to make me glad I did this. I am a nurses aide and it is 3 weeks post surgery for tts, I could not do my job at this point I am not certain about a job at desk either, as I have position trouble, meaning sometimes foot hurts when up and sometimes hurts hanging down which is the most uncomfortable.
I could work a desk job maybe on a minimum time maybe a few hours with a break I could not tell u for sure, I did not imagine how much this surgery hurt, it was much more painful recovery then last, the nerve stuff went capooy for many days,and still I have times that are not great.
I imagaine every one is different and heals at own rate, so is not fair of me to say, for me this was right for you it must be your decision,
If you would like more info u may email me at doeeyesx2@yahoo.com I would be happy to answer any thing that u might like to know. I feel a bit consious of being long winded and taking up so much room here! I hope that i have answered some of your questions. I couldnt remember all.

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 21:10 (061474)

Ps lol my dr. said for my return to work to expect 8 to 12 weeks but to remember each heals at there own rate and I have to be at least 80% or he will not release me. It is 3 weeks and I feel about 60% maybe more depends on the day, and I am not on feet constant 8 to 12 hrs yet.If I had a desk job he said he would release me at 4 to 6 weeks but again it would depend on my personal progress, as we all heal when or body says lol!
One bad thing is we are never prepared for our bodies to disapoint us with slower then we like healing.

SuzanneK on 9/24/01 at 21:41 (061479)

Hi Paula. I had a 2/3 pf release and spur removal June 1, 2000. I am a teacher and had spent the last 6 weeks of school in a wheelchair, trying to make it until the summer. It was at least 2 weeks before I was able to bear weight on the foot, and that only for short distances. I used my crutches (and later only 1 crutch) for about 6 weeks. When school started up again Aug. 5, I was ready. I think I was ready only because I gave myself so much recuperation time and babied that foot.

I used pain meds 24/7 for the first 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Then I only used them when I had pain after being up and around. I almost always used them at night for the first month. After that, naproxen seemd to be enough. My doctor told me that pain was a sign I needed to rest, elevate, and ice. Then he told me to take the pain pill and rest, elevate, and ice. I did.

I think I'm probably 90% of where I was before my pf started. That's pretty good, I think. And I'm sure I've had a good recovery because I babied myself and didn't rush.

BrianG on 9/25/01 at 09:56 (061503)

Hi Pauline,

Obviously I'm no doc. About the EPF surgery. From what I was told, they cut on the side of the ankle where they will not hit any nerves. EPF is not for nerve type surgery, only for PF release. And, it's not really blind, they use a small camera and monitor. The blind surgery is where they go in from the bottom of the heel and no cameras are used. . Hope this helps.

BCG

Re: Suzanne

Paula G. on 9/25/01 at 15:55 (061536)

Thanks. I think I was walking way too much on that foot. But, the doctor did not restrict me in any way. Just to use crutches and bear weight to decrease possible scar tissue. I was not happy because I am suffering the effects of being on my feet too much.

Jana on 9/25/01 at 19:41 (061573)

So did you have the tarsal Tunnel release or the PF release surgery, or both? And can you tell me a little bit about what procedure you had? (You can reach me directly at:jcooper@gers.com)