Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone injections

Posted by Laura S. on 9/24/01 at 15:25 (061441)

I've had plantar fasciitis for 9 months now on my left foot, and I got a cortisone injection this morning. The injection was not in the heel, but in the center of the fascia, which is my most painful and sensitive area. The injection wasn't that painful, but it was very painful afterwards, and I was wondering how soon I can expect to feel some relief, and how soon I can try walking again...my foot is currently taped and it is very sensitive to the touch. If anyone has had experience with injections please tell me what to expect. Thank you.

Re: cortisone injections

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 18:12 (061455)

Laura,
I think several people have posted similar experiences after having a cortisone injection. Usually ice was recommended to ease the pain. You may experience some relief within 24 hours. Sometimes the added fluid causes temporary irritation to the tissues which usually goes away in a few days. You may also notice tenderness at the site of the injection, maybe even a little bruise. Some people experience good pain relief and others very little. Some have pain relief for weeks, some none at all. Everyone is a little different. In my own case, the cortisone broke the pain cycle and took down some inflammation. I wouldn't hesitate to have an injection again knowing that there is a limit to the number I should have and that I have the final say in whether to accept one again.

Fran on 9/25/01 at 01:25 (061494)

Hi there! I have had this problem with my left heel for over 6 months now. Have had 2 cortisone injections, the first was great, pain was gone....the 2nd didn't last as long. But I didn't take as good care as I should have. I tape my foot every day, and would have another injection--for me it was helpful in only a temporary solution. Best of luck!! Fran/mom3109 @lycos.com

Natalie on 9/25/01 at 19:31 (061571)

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with heel spur on both of my heels yesterday. I have been having pain for a year now. I have been told that I wasn't wearing the right shoes 6 months ago and last weekend I was so fed up of the pain that I demanded an x-ray. I saw the doc today and I got my first cortisone injection which was not painful at all compared to the living hell of walking on my heels daily. I had the injection 4 hours ago and I pray that I will be able to walk normally by tomorrow, right now I don't feel any improvement. The doc also prescribed Vioxx to me which I may take much later if I don't see any improvement with the injection. Thank God for this website and message board. I don't feel alone and all of you sharing helps me a lot. Thanks

Re: How long until there is improvement

Laura S. on 9/26/01 at 08:38 (061612)

Do you know how long I have to wait until there is improvement after the cortisone injection? It's been 48 hours and it's still a lot worse than it was before.

Natalie on 9/29/01 at 20:39 (061897)

It's been 5 days now I had the injection.... No relief at all. I am still in as much pain as before. I am desperate :-(

Vivian N. on 10/01/01 at 01:36 (061953)

Let me tell you my experience. When sitting halfway up on the table and not looking the Dr gave me the injection. My leg went flying, almost hitting the nurse standing there, with the needle still in my foot. There was more pain while she finished the shot. which I tolerated, but not easily. I know the whole Dr's office heard me screaming. The Dr. said she had never seen anyone do what I did. She taped my foot up and said I should start feeling relief by the time I got home. For 2 days I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't step on that foot at all. That was 3 months ago and the pain from the heel spur and plantar fascilitis are still there and going stronger than ever.

john h on 10/01/01 at 19:31 (061998)

natalie: first thing is to recoginze that PF is no short term encounter. you must read all you can on this board and be prepared to be in this for the long haul. people do get better and cured but it will be mostly up to you. do not expect a miracle from your shots. they may help in the short term but more than likely you will need to use many of the other treatments people have gone through on this board. read all you can and be of the mindset that this may take time but you can do it. start by reading scott's book and then many of the post and start asking questions.

Pauline on 9/24/01 at 18:12 (061455)

Laura,
I think several people have posted similar experiences after having a cortisone injection. Usually ice was recommended to ease the pain. You may experience some relief within 24 hours. Sometimes the added fluid causes temporary irritation to the tissues which usually goes away in a few days. You may also notice tenderness at the site of the injection, maybe even a little bruise. Some people experience good pain relief and others very little. Some have pain relief for weeks, some none at all. Everyone is a little different. In my own case, the cortisone broke the pain cycle and took down some inflammation. I wouldn't hesitate to have an injection again knowing that there is a limit to the number I should have and that I have the final say in whether to accept one again.

Fran on 9/25/01 at 01:25 (061494)

Hi there! I have had this problem with my left heel for over 6 months now. Have had 2 cortisone injections, the first was great, pain was gone....the 2nd didn't last as long. But I didn't take as good care as I should have. I tape my foot every day, and would have another injection--for me it was helpful in only a temporary solution. Best of luck!! Fran/mom3109 @lycos.com

Natalie on 9/25/01 at 19:31 (061571)

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with heel spur on both of my heels yesterday. I have been having pain for a year now. I have been told that I wasn't wearing the right shoes 6 months ago and last weekend I was so fed up of the pain that I demanded an x-ray. I saw the doc today and I got my first cortisone injection which was not painful at all compared to the living hell of walking on my heels daily. I had the injection 4 hours ago and I pray that I will be able to walk normally by tomorrow, right now I don't feel any improvement. The doc also prescribed Vioxx to me which I may take much later if I don't see any improvement with the injection. Thank God for this website and message board. I don't feel alone and all of you sharing helps me a lot. Thanks

Laura S. on 9/26/01 at 08:38 (061612)

Do you know how long I have to wait until there is improvement after the cortisone injection? It's been 48 hours and it's still a lot worse than it was before.

Natalie on 9/29/01 at 20:39 (061897)

It's been 5 days now I had the injection.... No relief at all. I am still in as much pain as before. I am desperate :-(

Vivian N. on 10/01/01 at 01:36 (061953)

Let me tell you my experience. When sitting halfway up on the table and not looking the Dr gave me the injection. My leg went flying, almost hitting the nurse standing there, with the needle still in my foot. There was more pain while she finished the shot. which I tolerated, but not easily. I know the whole Dr's office heard me screaming. The Dr. said she had never seen anyone do what I did. She taped my foot up and said I should start feeling relief by the time I got home. For 2 days I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't step on that foot at all. That was 3 months ago and the pain from the heel spur and plantar fascilitis are still there and going stronger than ever.

john h on 10/01/01 at 19:31 (061998)

natalie: first thing is to recoginze that PF is no short term encounter. you must read all you can on this board and be prepared to be in this for the long haul. people do get better and cured but it will be mostly up to you. do not expect a miracle from your shots. they may help in the short term but more than likely you will need to use many of the other treatments people have gone through on this board. read all you can and be of the mindset that this may take time but you can do it. start by reading scott's book and then many of the post and start asking questions.