Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglunds deformity

Posted by sassyj on 9/24/01 at 16:04 (061451)

I have a large bump on the back of my heel. Tried anti inflammatory drugs, physcial therapy, wearing the boot. Nothing has worked, just gotten bigger. Dr. now wants to do surgery. Says that achilles tendon is invovled, surgery fairly simple but a long recovery. Don't know too much about this but I am tired of the pain, the inability to wear shoes and the limping around. I stand on my feet all day so it aggravates the problem. Any suggestions or input from someone who has had this done. A little nervous about the whole thing......

Re: haglunds deformity

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/01 at 20:07 (061466)

True Haglund's deformity involves an enlargement of the back of the heel bone ABOVE the are where the achilles tendon attaches. The surgery is simple and the recovery usually is not that long. How long did your doc state the recovery would be?

If the bone to be removed from the back of the heel bone is beneath the attachment of the achilles tendon, then part of the achilles needs to be detached--often the case with achilles insertional calcific tendinitis. The recovery period for this procedure is significantly longer.
Ed

sassyj on 9/25/01 at 06:46 (061495)

Thanks for responding. Doc said I would be in hard cast for about 3-4 weeks, then the shoe cast for about the same time. He said the achilles would be detached and put back. Just a little nervous about this.

Jack W. on 9/25/01 at 14:31 (061528)

I have Haglunds problem which is associated with insertional achilles tendonitis. My condition is an overuse problem from years of running. I don't want to practice podiatry but I believe ESWT is available to treat this conditon. Help me with this docs. I am presently being treated for this condition with ESWT. I feel ESWT is worth a try before submitting to surgery (provided conventional methods have been tried and failed). The way I understand it is that the ESWT will take care of the pain but not the bony prominence.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 16:28 (061647)

If the boney prominence is not too big, ESWT is worth a try. Success would depend on the amount of pain coming from the insertional tendinitis versus the amount of pain from the boney enlargement itself.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 16:30 (061648)

PS ESWT is not officially approved yet for achilles insertional tendinitis, so trying it would probably be an out of pocket expense.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/01 at 20:07 (061466)

True Haglund's deformity involves an enlargement of the back of the heel bone ABOVE the are where the achilles tendon attaches. The surgery is simple and the recovery usually is not that long. How long did your doc state the recovery would be?

If the bone to be removed from the back of the heel bone is beneath the attachment of the achilles tendon, then part of the achilles needs to be detached--often the case with achilles insertional calcific tendinitis. The recovery period for this procedure is significantly longer.
Ed

sassyj on 9/25/01 at 06:46 (061495)

Thanks for responding. Doc said I would be in hard cast for about 3-4 weeks, then the shoe cast for about the same time. He said the achilles would be detached and put back. Just a little nervous about this.

Jack W. on 9/25/01 at 14:31 (061528)

I have Haglunds problem which is associated with insertional achilles tendonitis. My condition is an overuse problem from years of running. I don't want to practice podiatry but I believe ESWT is available to treat this conditon. Help me with this docs. I am presently being treated for this condition with ESWT. I feel ESWT is worth a try before submitting to surgery (provided conventional methods have been tried and failed). The way I understand it is that the ESWT will take care of the pain but not the bony prominence.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 16:28 (061647)

If the boney prominence is not too big, ESWT is worth a try. Success would depend on the amount of pain coming from the insertional tendinitis versus the amount of pain from the boney enlargement itself.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/01 at 16:30 (061648)

PS ESWT is not officially approved yet for achilles insertional tendinitis, so trying it would probably be an out of pocket expense.
Ed