Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

almost 6 weeks post op

Posted by SonnyK on 9/24/01 at 22:20 (061482)

I had TTS surgery on August 17. I have posted on here a few times and I read messages here daily. This is the site were I have learned the most about this syndrome. I posted here 3 weeks post op and sort of 'bragged' about the success of my surgey. I had gotten my stiches out and was walking without crutches. My ortho told me 'not to baby the foot' but to take it easy for 1 more month and then start toe exercises. Well for me, an active person who never sits down, that meant go on with your life but no running, jumping, dancing etc. Now, 6 weeks post op, I am in pain and the swelling is unreal...almost worse than it was before the surgery. I don't watch TV and don't read much. I feel guilty for sitting around. I try to do something normal with my family and I end up suffering. My question is: do I call the ortho and tell him about the swelling and pain or is this something I should be experiencing for a while after surgery? My ortho didn't make a big deal about the surgery...he said i could drive after a week...I laughed at that! I knew better from reading the posts here! I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself.....and yet with all that has happened in this country...I feel ashamed that I feel this way.

Re: almost 6 weeks post op

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 23:20 (061485)

Sonny,
Oh no I am so very sorry, gosh you are saying exactly what I fear most! I am 3 weeks post op,and feeling pretty good.
I am no dr. of course but surly a phone call is needed at this point, the dr. told me if I have pain he wants to hear about it,
swelling to if it continues after 6 weeks. I think it would make you feel better talking with you and seeing you to evaluate
why this is occuring!

Can I ask for my own knowledge, what are you doing, lol, I mean are you working and standing walking on feet allot ?
Or are you doing every day normal things? I to feel pretty good, aside from what I am hoping is the normal healing cycle
pains and aches. I also have swelling not tons, but enough to notice it and be very uncomfortable tight feeling.

My doc was pretty strict with me, said nothing for 2 weeks, more or less. And now for the next 4 I am to easeeeee into shoes
and do waht I feel like my feet allow me to with out causing me pain. I to am active or should say was active, not caring for a
alot of tv. I have been up and down stairs doing laundry and have drove some,but I would say that for some reason this
surgery for me has had pain and has really slowed me down , so as to not have the pain feelings. I feel as tho I am kept in
check with the pain stopping me and making me sit or do things sitting more. How did you feel before this occured?

I am very sorry and absoulutly you are NOT feeling sorry for yourself!!!!I understand how you feel with our country and all
but we must go on living and to do that we have to heal our feet so that we may help in our own ways! Please post again!
Dont ever feel like that as you are a human with real feelings and issues and recovering from surgery, that unfortuantly seems
to take time and more time then we want to give it! Hugssssssssss to u and better days ahead!

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 11:12 (061511)

Sonny,
My question would be why wouldn't you call your Ortho? Your surgery is his surgery too and don't ever forget that. If you haven't yet, pick up that phone and call him and get into see him. Just because the cutting is done doesn't release you from his care so get back over to see him and don't take no for an answer. He has no idea what is happening to you unless you give him some feed back and boy do you have something to tell him. I wish you the best of luck. Please remember he is as human as you are and you can bet if the tables were turned and he was the patient he'd been on the phone a week ago. Physicians make the worst patients.
Take control of your health and get the help you need and deserve from your doctor.

Chris M. on 9/25/01 at 15:44 (061535)

This is terrible news. I would call the doctor. He did the procedure and it is his duty to follow you post operatively now. I know I had a unrealistic surgeon as far as recovery period is concerned. I also suffered alot of pain that was never acknowledged it is quite inhumane to treat a patient like that. I would without hesitation see the doctor. I would say 'you need to figure out how to fix this mess' Are you having any PT? Have you had any previously?

I would not give up all hope yet. Before all my tts stuff, a doctor explained to me how the human body is always healing injuries. Did you ever have a scar and one year later it looks different, five years later even more different? Also, broken bones are the same. One year later theres a mass bump of calcified tissue on the break, Many years later the old break is even hard for the radiologist to see, as the body is always remodeling its repair work. Your surgical site is the same. I think my fibrotic scar tissue from tts release it thinning out or something weird.

My ortho told me to quite crutches at 3 weeks post op tts release. My PT said use ONE but not walk without because you will twist your ankle. I listened to the ortho and within a week twisted it. See the surgeon has a narrow vision at times. I realize there are better ones than I encountered, so not to seem too complaining on physicians.

You need to call the doctor. Try to think positively, it is still too soon to be depressed.

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:15 (061565)

Tammie:
Thanks for the kind words....when I come to this site I feel like the people here know the same pain as me...yet 'the rest of the world' have never even heard of TTS. It's hard to expain the level of pain/discomfort to someone who is looking at you and can't 'see' the problem. So thanks for understanding.

I am doing normal everyday things like laundry (yes three sets of stairs) and regular cleaning...have 2 kids ages 4 and 6 so there you go! I was doing daycare before this and a hairstylist before that so I was on my feet quite a bit. I have not started exercising yet (walking, biking) and have made a few trips to the grocery store. So nothing major,thats why I don't know why I am having swelling and pain. I put it up a few times a day with an ice pack on it.

And yes...I called the doc today...this was a 'surgery day'for him..so I hope to get a call back tomorrow.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Everyone seems to be different with the healing so don't get worried yet! Take care.

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:17 (061567)

Thanks for the encouragement..read my post to Tammie about how I feel about this site! I put a call in to the doc today...so hope to hear soon! I would make an appointment but it takes 3 weeks to get in to see him. Today the swelling is the worst it has been. Yuk!

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:22 (061569)

Thanks for the advice...good advice...got on the phone today and put a call in to him....hope to hear back soon.

Can I ask how you twisted your ankle...what it felt like...how you knew you twisted it...did it swell up....just curious. I have 'landed' on mine funny a few times...maybe I did some damage?

Re: To Sonny almost 6 weeks post op

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 21:25 (061585)

Sonny,
I'd still insist on seeing the doctor. Describe the swelling and anything else that is going on. In my opinion he needs to look at your foot. He can't treat something he can't see and if he is planning on doing that
as much as I'd hate to I'd gently suggest to him he'd would rather see you in his office than in court. Usually physicians will see their surgical patients if a problem arises in much less time than three weeks.

I've found that certain 'key' words send chills down a physicians spine and inspire them to move to action. Things like pus, throbbing leg pain,
fever. red streaks running up the leg. I think you get the idea.

It wouldn't apply here but a real big one is 'Cat Bite' they practically
send a car to pick you up on that one. Of course you should really have a cat bite before you use this one. Good luck.

Re: Sonny

tammie on 9/25/01 at 22:24 (061593)

I am happy to hear you called very happy and so will you be! I think he will most likly want to check it out himself or at least he should. I would stress to him you are worried as it is painful and swollen and any other things that bother u about it. That should be first and foremost.

U think u are doing normal things huh, Laundry , is work lol I know I to am climbing up and down basement stairs, it is work! Small children yea that to is work, been there done that and know it is not the normal desk job! LOL No really maybe you are overdoing it? Maybe it is to soon for everything, I mean gee 6 weeks , is only a portion of the time that the dr. will release me to my job and I am a nurses aide and foot work and lots of squating and standing in one place is done, and he told me 8 to 12. And I would bet that u are doing alot of this type of hard foot work and are not giving your foot the rest it needs to heal. I would also bet mother work and laundry is as hard as any on feet job. But I am not a Dr. of course , and am so very glad u called him.

Let him see and make sure no funny stuff is going on and that hopefully just a case of u over doing it thinking u are just doing normal stuff.And that he gives you the permission that u need to hear that rest is ok and in fact needed to get healed! Good luck and please update us to what he thinks, I do hope it is nothing serious. And if it is that it is caught soon enough to fix it wthout to much of a setback for u! Hugssssssssss to u!

Re: Pauline?

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 22:34 (061595)

Pauline? I don't mean to sound dense....what's with the cat bite? Are they that dangerous? I

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 23:13 (061597)

Extremely. They will put you in the hospital for weeks if not treated. In less that 2 hrs I had red streaks running up my arms. When my husband was hospitalized for momo his room mate came in with a cat bite. He had waited before seeking treatment, said he felt safe because his cat had shots. So did mine. His face was so swollen you couldn't define the end of his nose. He was put on two antibiotics round the clock. Ya don't mess with cat bites and you seek treatment immediately.

Re: cats bites ARE extremely dangerous

nancy s. on 9/26/01 at 07:29 (061605)

pauline is right -- cats have an extraordinary amount of bacteria in their mouths, and a deep bite can kill you if it goes untreated.
my sister was bitten just last month on the thumb, right through to the bone. by the next morning her thumb was hugely swollen. she's a nurse and knew to go to the emergency room.
she was on IV antibiotics for days, and even after she left and was using oral antibiotics they had her check in daily to be examined.
cat bites are definitely not to be ignored! just wanted to reemphasize, because many aren't aware of this.
nancy

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 07:47 (061607)

Thanks guys - I was not aware of this...I never liked cats much to begin with though.

Chris M. on 9/26/01 at 21:27 (061682)

Well, when I twisted my ankle, I had 'ran' really staggered to the door. It was the UPS dude. He handed me a box. I went to turn around and my left foot (surgical foot) just wobbled and my body was already turning around, It was a messed up experience. I felt it twist, and it was unbelieveable pain. Imagine someone clubbing your foot right now. That is how it was. It swelled and ached for about three days and let up. I then began to listen to the PT.

Tammie on 9/24/01 at 23:20 (061485)

Sonny,
Oh no I am so very sorry, gosh you are saying exactly what I fear most! I am 3 weeks post op,and feeling pretty good.
I am no dr. of course but surly a phone call is needed at this point, the dr. told me if I have pain he wants to hear about it,
swelling to if it continues after 6 weeks. I think it would make you feel better talking with you and seeing you to evaluate
why this is occuring!

Can I ask for my own knowledge, what are you doing, lol, I mean are you working and standing walking on feet allot ?
Or are you doing every day normal things? I to feel pretty good, aside from what I am hoping is the normal healing cycle
pains and aches. I also have swelling not tons, but enough to notice it and be very uncomfortable tight feeling.

My doc was pretty strict with me, said nothing for 2 weeks, more or less. And now for the next 4 I am to easeeeee into shoes
and do waht I feel like my feet allow me to with out causing me pain. I to am active or should say was active, not caring for a
alot of tv. I have been up and down stairs doing laundry and have drove some,but I would say that for some reason this
surgery for me has had pain and has really slowed me down , so as to not have the pain feelings. I feel as tho I am kept in
check with the pain stopping me and making me sit or do things sitting more. How did you feel before this occured?

I am very sorry and absoulutly you are NOT feeling sorry for yourself!!!!I understand how you feel with our country and all
but we must go on living and to do that we have to heal our feet so that we may help in our own ways! Please post again!
Dont ever feel like that as you are a human with real feelings and issues and recovering from surgery, that unfortuantly seems
to take time and more time then we want to give it! Hugssssssssss to u and better days ahead!

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 11:12 (061511)

Sonny,
My question would be why wouldn't you call your Ortho? Your surgery is his surgery too and don't ever forget that. If you haven't yet, pick up that phone and call him and get into see him. Just because the cutting is done doesn't release you from his care so get back over to see him and don't take no for an answer. He has no idea what is happening to you unless you give him some feed back and boy do you have something to tell him. I wish you the best of luck. Please remember he is as human as you are and you can bet if the tables were turned and he was the patient he'd been on the phone a week ago. Physicians make the worst patients.
Take control of your health and get the help you need and deserve from your doctor.

Chris M. on 9/25/01 at 15:44 (061535)

This is terrible news. I would call the doctor. He did the procedure and it is his duty to follow you post operatively now. I know I had a unrealistic surgeon as far as recovery period is concerned. I also suffered alot of pain that was never acknowledged it is quite inhumane to treat a patient like that. I would without hesitation see the doctor. I would say 'you need to figure out how to fix this mess' Are you having any PT? Have you had any previously?

I would not give up all hope yet. Before all my tts stuff, a doctor explained to me how the human body is always healing injuries. Did you ever have a scar and one year later it looks different, five years later even more different? Also, broken bones are the same. One year later theres a mass bump of calcified tissue on the break, Many years later the old break is even hard for the radiologist to see, as the body is always remodeling its repair work. Your surgical site is the same. I think my fibrotic scar tissue from tts release it thinning out or something weird.

My ortho told me to quite crutches at 3 weeks post op tts release. My PT said use ONE but not walk without because you will twist your ankle. I listened to the ortho and within a week twisted it. See the surgeon has a narrow vision at times. I realize there are better ones than I encountered, so not to seem too complaining on physicians.

You need to call the doctor. Try to think positively, it is still too soon to be depressed.

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:15 (061565)

Tammie:
Thanks for the kind words....when I come to this site I feel like the people here know the same pain as me...yet 'the rest of the world' have never even heard of TTS. It's hard to expain the level of pain/discomfort to someone who is looking at you and can't 'see' the problem. So thanks for understanding.

I am doing normal everyday things like laundry (yes three sets of stairs) and regular cleaning...have 2 kids ages 4 and 6 so there you go! I was doing daycare before this and a hairstylist before that so I was on my feet quite a bit. I have not started exercising yet (walking, biking) and have made a few trips to the grocery store. So nothing major,thats why I don't know why I am having swelling and pain. I put it up a few times a day with an ice pack on it.

And yes...I called the doc today...this was a 'surgery day'for him..so I hope to get a call back tomorrow.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Everyone seems to be different with the healing so don't get worried yet! Take care.

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:17 (061567)

Thanks for the encouragement..read my post to Tammie about how I feel about this site! I put a call in to the doc today...so hope to hear soon! I would make an appointment but it takes 3 weeks to get in to see him. Today the swelling is the worst it has been. Yuk!

SonnyK on 9/25/01 at 19:22 (061569)

Thanks for the advice...good advice...got on the phone today and put a call in to him....hope to hear back soon.

Can I ask how you twisted your ankle...what it felt like...how you knew you twisted it...did it swell up....just curious. I have 'landed' on mine funny a few times...maybe I did some damage?

Re: To Sonny almost 6 weeks post op

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 21:25 (061585)

Sonny,
I'd still insist on seeing the doctor. Describe the swelling and anything else that is going on. In my opinion he needs to look at your foot. He can't treat something he can't see and if he is planning on doing that
as much as I'd hate to I'd gently suggest to him he'd would rather see you in his office than in court. Usually physicians will see their surgical patients if a problem arises in much less time than three weeks.

I've found that certain 'key' words send chills down a physicians spine and inspire them to move to action. Things like pus, throbbing leg pain,
fever. red streaks running up the leg. I think you get the idea.

It wouldn't apply here but a real big one is 'Cat Bite' they practically
send a car to pick you up on that one. Of course you should really have a cat bite before you use this one. Good luck.

Re: Sonny

tammie on 9/25/01 at 22:24 (061593)

I am happy to hear you called very happy and so will you be! I think he will most likly want to check it out himself or at least he should. I would stress to him you are worried as it is painful and swollen and any other things that bother u about it. That should be first and foremost.

U think u are doing normal things huh, Laundry , is work lol I know I to am climbing up and down basement stairs, it is work! Small children yea that to is work, been there done that and know it is not the normal desk job! LOL No really maybe you are overdoing it? Maybe it is to soon for everything, I mean gee 6 weeks , is only a portion of the time that the dr. will release me to my job and I am a nurses aide and foot work and lots of squating and standing in one place is done, and he told me 8 to 12. And I would bet that u are doing alot of this type of hard foot work and are not giving your foot the rest it needs to heal. I would also bet mother work and laundry is as hard as any on feet job. But I am not a Dr. of course , and am so very glad u called him.

Let him see and make sure no funny stuff is going on and that hopefully just a case of u over doing it thinking u are just doing normal stuff.And that he gives you the permission that u need to hear that rest is ok and in fact needed to get healed! Good luck and please update us to what he thinks, I do hope it is nothing serious. And if it is that it is caught soon enough to fix it wthout to much of a setback for u! Hugssssssssss to u!

wendyn on 9/25/01 at 22:34 (061595)

Pauline? I don't mean to sound dense....what's with the cat bite? Are they that dangerous? I

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 23:13 (061597)

Extremely. They will put you in the hospital for weeks if not treated. In less that 2 hrs I had red streaks running up my arms. When my husband was hospitalized for momo his room mate came in with a cat bite. He had waited before seeking treatment, said he felt safe because his cat had shots. So did mine. His face was so swollen you couldn't define the end of his nose. He was put on two antibiotics round the clock. Ya don't mess with cat bites and you seek treatment immediately.

nancy s. on 9/26/01 at 07:29 (061605)

pauline is right -- cats have an extraordinary amount of bacteria in their mouths, and a deep bite can kill you if it goes untreated.
my sister was bitten just last month on the thumb, right through to the bone. by the next morning her thumb was hugely swollen. she's a nurse and knew to go to the emergency room.
she was on IV antibiotics for days, and even after she left and was using oral antibiotics they had her check in daily to be examined.
cat bites are definitely not to be ignored! just wanted to reemphasize, because many aren't aware of this.
nancy

wendyn on 9/26/01 at 07:47 (061607)

Thanks guys - I was not aware of this...I never liked cats much to begin with though.

Chris M. on 9/26/01 at 21:27 (061682)

Well, when I twisted my ankle, I had 'ran' really staggered to the door. It was the UPS dude. He handed me a box. I went to turn around and my left foot (surgical foot) just wobbled and my body was already turning around, It was a messed up experience. I felt it twist, and it was unbelieveable pain. Imagine someone clubbing your foot right now. That is how it was. It swelled and ached for about three days and let up. I then began to listen to the PT.