Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Positive thinking.... and stuff

Posted by Carmen H on 9/25/01 at 07:35 (061497)

Well I want to UNLOAD today!! I am headed to the neurologist to find out what the He%$ is going on with my nerves!!! Sometimes at night I can't stop moving my feet b/c they are so HOT and achy it KILLS me. Moving them helps to keep the pain from being so intense for some reason. I have been getting treated for lower back issues (MRI on Lumbar spine next week or this week if I am LUCKY!) and it seems to me the problems are all related. My foot pain doesn't really mimick PF.....so I am in the dark TOTALLY about the REAL culprit of my pain. I am trying to wake up positive....think good thoughts. Like TODAY will be the day i can sit for longer than 5 minutes without wanting to scream. Seems like a CENTRAL problem...bilateral pain in feet, hips, glutes and hands (at times).
BUT I have a great HUSBAND, great support here and the cutest darn bulldog you have ever seen looking up at me right now...so I guess Life is pretty good.
Thanks for listening!!!
Everyone have a good day!

Re: Positive thinking.... and stuff

PatC on 9/25/01 at 08:14 (061498)

Good luck with your dr. visit. It sounds like all of your problems are related. I too have lower back problems. About 6 years ago I had sciatica so bad I didn't think I would ever be pain free. Pain went all the way down my leg and into my foot. About nine months,after a lot of persistance with my dr.,physical therapy, daily stretching and weight loss I was finally pain free. My problems now are in the other foot, achilles tendonitis and heel spurs. I'm beginning to feel a little better since starting physical therapy. I hope that you find some answers.

Re: Thanks Pat

Carmen H on 9/25/01 at 10:20 (061505)

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it!!

john h on 9/25/01 at 10:44 (061508)

Carmen: with those problems you talk about if you can end your post with 'life is pretty good' then you are one tough lady. i will be thinking about you when you see your doctor because i do not have a clue with your many symptoms. i have low back pain but my mri is clear as to the cause. i have PF and like everyone else really do not have a clue as to the 'real cause' or 'real cure'.

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 11:29 (061513)

Hi Carmen , I hope you have a great visit with your doctor , I hope he or she can give you the answers to your pain. Have you ever tried Neurontin (SP) for your nerve pain , maybe you can ask your doctor about it . I'll be thinking about you today and wishing you the best of luck .... Please let us know how your appointment goes......Hugs to you , Laurie R

Carmel M on 9/25/01 at 11:45 (061516)

I'm sending good thoughts your way today. I know how frustrating it is when we don't know the cause of our pain.

Take care and let us know how everything goes.

Good luck ;)
Carmel

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 18:09 (061544)

Carmen, I hope that the neurologist was able to help you today! I am so sorry for all your pain. You seem to be such a positive, caring person, and I wish for you speedy healing!! I am glad you have a supportive, kind husband (and a cute bulldog!). :-) I wish there was something I could do to help, but rest assured I am more than happy to LISTEN and am here for you!

Take care...

Re: All you wonderful people!

Carmen H on 9/25/01 at 18:32 (061553)

You guys are so great. I have a warm heart just from reading your posts and you can't imagine how nice that feels.
I have been on Neurontin for a little under a week and we are upping the dose to get some results....BUT the neurologist was GREAT. She diagnosed me with mild Carpal tunnel (it's not severe) and we are getting that under control, also I am scheduled for an EMG on my back, legs, glutes and feet. Sh was very kind and said 'Don't worry...we'll sort it out. You're going to be fine' and we tested and ruled out any SERIOUS emergency type things....Polyneuropathies, viral diseases etc. We have a plan and I feel pretty good about it. My appt. is on Oct. 31st...long way off but I am on a cancellation list so we'll see. Plus have an MRI this week or next on my lower back so that will provide some answers or rule things out....
I feel better though. So does Toby...he's been very worried.
I cry alot at night....b/c it takes an hour for my feet to stop burning and my back to calm down...but it's okay. It sheds all the negativity and allows me a good nights sleep!
So I curl up with two cats and a bulldog and petting them calms my crazy nerves....
Thanks you guys. Really. You are all so wonderful.
A good night to all...and another day tomorrow~!

Re: carmen

Tammie on 9/25/01 at 18:38 (061555)

Carmen,
You are a sweet lady, your persistance will pay off I am sure and the support you recieve from you hubby and your animals will make it go smoother!
I wish the best for you and know that no matter what happens you are a true fighter and will survive anything that is thrown at u!

You are a treasure and have a biggggg heart and a lot of good knowledge! Take care and my prayers will be with u ! May you always
keep your inner sunshine! Hugssssssssssss

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 18:39 (061556)

Dear Carmen , Now that is what I'm talking about ..You doctor sounds wonderful . How can oyu go wrong with such a good doctor . I bet you feel really good righ tnow , I feel really good for you right now :) .Please keep us posted on what going on with everything . I just realized not only do you have feet problems but your back and your arms ??? My heart goes out to you . I am complaining about my foot and ankle .. Your postitive attitude will help you heal better... Thank you for your update . Your post was the first one I was looking for this afternoon...

Bless you ,Peace ,Laurie R

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 18:58 (061562)

So glad to hear some positive results from the doctor's visit! I will keep you in my prayers. I will wish for you a more restful night with less pain!!

God bless you. :-)

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 20:44 (061580)

Carmen,
Wishing you the best. A good neurologist is worth his weight in gold. I find they usually don't say much because they are busy looking for the 'odd' things. Things that are missing are often more important than
things that are there. Like detectives they try to find all the small connections that make the body run smooth. Hopefully you'll be one step closer to finding the answers you seek. Good luck

Re: carmen-----hope you got much needed rest last night

linda A on 9/26/01 at 01:28 (061599)

my prayers will also be w/ you . what are you doing to calm down your nerves ? i notice that you focus on rubbing your pets to sleep at night . you are a very brave woman , who gives me great strength . my cat , chico is on my lap right now reading your story . he is wondering . have you ever happen to kick your pets out the bed like i happen to do to him ? ususally my pillow and blankets ( cold in ky right now ) are also on the floor . anyway chico wants to know if i am normal ? i said no . normal people would be in bed at 2:20 am . tomorrow is my last day for the day program at ten broeck . hope to be going back to work this week .

Re: Hey you guys~!

Carmen H on 9/26/01 at 14:54 (061638)

Well today has been an interesting day.....thank you again for all of your kinds words of support. I wish I could reply individually because my gartitude for each of you is unique but I am trying to limit my typing...I want to still be able to share good boards, sites and positive thoughts too.
Today I went outside and thought to myself....(as I looked up at a PERFECT blue sky)there is a reason for this...it will ultimately make me stronger as has every experience in my life and I just need to keep my eyes and mind open to what is happening around me. I know I have always been a perfectionist (SUPER CLEAN home, organized office, good healthy lifestyle, birthday cards out on time for every person, etc etc) and have never settled for less from my self. I think God's trying to tell me to quit expecting so much from myself and slow down...So that;s the message I'm taking for now.
Also wanted to chare this little poem today. fit's my life right now for sure! Maybe it will help someone with a little bit of peace today...
Thanks again everyone. (Hey John..how is my spelling doing?? ;-)

IT'S IN THE VALLEYS I GROW

Sometimes life seems hard to bear,
Full of sorrow, trouble and woe
It's then I have to remember
That it's in the valleys I grow.

If I always stayed on the mountain top
And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love
And would be living in vain.

I have so much to learn
And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops,
But it's in the valleys I grow.

I do not always understand
Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing.
My Lord will see me through.

My little valleys are nothing
When I picture Christ on the cross
He went through the valley of death;
His victory was Satan's loss.

Forgive me Lord, for complaining
When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder

Continue to strengthen me, Lord
And use my life each day
To share your love with others
And help them find their way.

Thank you for valleys, Lord
For this one thing I know
The mountain tops are glorious

Laurie R on 9/26/01 at 16:15 (061645)

Dear Carmen , Thank you so much for sharring this , how beautiful ..... And like I have said before you will never go wrong with your positive attitude . We all have bump's in the road on our recovery , but we will get over them .... Thanks again ,Laurie R

Suzanne D on 9/27/01 at 21:28 (061765)

Thanks, Carmen! You brought to mind a song I had forgotten about which talks about how we love to be on the mountain top but we can't stay there all the time and says in part, '...But in the valley He restoreth my soul'. Thanks for helping me to remember that and for sharing the poem. It is a nice thought with which to end my day. I'm glad I read it tonight.

:-)

PatC on 9/25/01 at 08:14 (061498)

Good luck with your dr. visit. It sounds like all of your problems are related. I too have lower back problems. About 6 years ago I had sciatica so bad I didn't think I would ever be pain free. Pain went all the way down my leg and into my foot. About nine months,after a lot of persistance with my dr.,physical therapy, daily stretching and weight loss I was finally pain free. My problems now are in the other foot, achilles tendonitis and heel spurs. I'm beginning to feel a little better since starting physical therapy. I hope that you find some answers.

Re: Thanks Pat

Carmen H on 9/25/01 at 10:20 (061505)

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it!!

john h on 9/25/01 at 10:44 (061508)

Carmen: with those problems you talk about if you can end your post with 'life is pretty good' then you are one tough lady. i will be thinking about you when you see your doctor because i do not have a clue with your many symptoms. i have low back pain but my mri is clear as to the cause. i have PF and like everyone else really do not have a clue as to the 'real cause' or 'real cure'.

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 11:29 (061513)

Hi Carmen , I hope you have a great visit with your doctor , I hope he or she can give you the answers to your pain. Have you ever tried Neurontin (SP) for your nerve pain , maybe you can ask your doctor about it . I'll be thinking about you today and wishing you the best of luck .... Please let us know how your appointment goes......Hugs to you , Laurie R

Carmel M on 9/25/01 at 11:45 (061516)

I'm sending good thoughts your way today. I know how frustrating it is when we don't know the cause of our pain.

Take care and let us know how everything goes.

Good luck ;)
Carmel

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 18:09 (061544)

Carmen, I hope that the neurologist was able to help you today! I am so sorry for all your pain. You seem to be such a positive, caring person, and I wish for you speedy healing!! I am glad you have a supportive, kind husband (and a cute bulldog!). :-) I wish there was something I could do to help, but rest assured I am more than happy to LISTEN and am here for you!

Take care...

Carmen H on 9/25/01 at 18:32 (061553)

You guys are so great. I have a warm heart just from reading your posts and you can't imagine how nice that feels.
I have been on Neurontin for a little under a week and we are upping the dose to get some results....BUT the neurologist was GREAT. She diagnosed me with mild Carpal tunnel (it's not severe) and we are getting that under control, also I am scheduled for an EMG on my back, legs, glutes and feet. Sh was very kind and said 'Don't worry...we'll sort it out. You're going to be fine' and we tested and ruled out any SERIOUS emergency type things....Polyneuropathies, viral diseases etc. We have a plan and I feel pretty good about it. My appt. is on Oct. 31st...long way off but I am on a cancellation list so we'll see. Plus have an MRI this week or next on my lower back so that will provide some answers or rule things out....
I feel better though. So does Toby...he's been very worried.
I cry alot at night....b/c it takes an hour for my feet to stop burning and my back to calm down...but it's okay. It sheds all the negativity and allows me a good nights sleep!
So I curl up with two cats and a bulldog and petting them calms my crazy nerves....
Thanks you guys. Really. You are all so wonderful.
A good night to all...and another day tomorrow~!

Re: carmen

Tammie on 9/25/01 at 18:38 (061555)

Carmen,
You are a sweet lady, your persistance will pay off I am sure and the support you recieve from you hubby and your animals will make it go smoother!
I wish the best for you and know that no matter what happens you are a true fighter and will survive anything that is thrown at u!

You are a treasure and have a biggggg heart and a lot of good knowledge! Take care and my prayers will be with u ! May you always
keep your inner sunshine! Hugssssssssssss

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 18:39 (061556)

Dear Carmen , Now that is what I'm talking about ..You doctor sounds wonderful . How can oyu go wrong with such a good doctor . I bet you feel really good righ tnow , I feel really good for you right now :) .Please keep us posted on what going on with everything . I just realized not only do you have feet problems but your back and your arms ??? My heart goes out to you . I am complaining about my foot and ankle .. Your postitive attitude will help you heal better... Thank you for your update . Your post was the first one I was looking for this afternoon...

Bless you ,Peace ,Laurie R

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 18:58 (061562)

So glad to hear some positive results from the doctor's visit! I will keep you in my prayers. I will wish for you a more restful night with less pain!!

God bless you. :-)

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 20:44 (061580)

Carmen,
Wishing you the best. A good neurologist is worth his weight in gold. I find they usually don't say much because they are busy looking for the 'odd' things. Things that are missing are often more important than
things that are there. Like detectives they try to find all the small connections that make the body run smooth. Hopefully you'll be one step closer to finding the answers you seek. Good luck

Re: carmen-----hope you got much needed rest last night

linda A on 9/26/01 at 01:28 (061599)

my prayers will also be w/ you . what are you doing to calm down your nerves ? i notice that you focus on rubbing your pets to sleep at night . you are a very brave woman , who gives me great strength . my cat , chico is on my lap right now reading your story . he is wondering . have you ever happen to kick your pets out the bed like i happen to do to him ? ususally my pillow and blankets ( cold in ky right now ) are also on the floor . anyway chico wants to know if i am normal ? i said no . normal people would be in bed at 2:20 am . tomorrow is my last day for the day program at ten broeck . hope to be going back to work this week .

Carmen H on 9/26/01 at 14:54 (061638)

Well today has been an interesting day.....thank you again for all of your kinds words of support. I wish I could reply individually because my gartitude for each of you is unique but I am trying to limit my typing...I want to still be able to share good boards, sites and positive thoughts too.
Today I went outside and thought to myself....(as I looked up at a PERFECT blue sky)there is a reason for this...it will ultimately make me stronger as has every experience in my life and I just need to keep my eyes and mind open to what is happening around me. I know I have always been a perfectionist (SUPER CLEAN home, organized office, good healthy lifestyle, birthday cards out on time for every person, etc etc) and have never settled for less from my self. I think God's trying to tell me to quit expecting so much from myself and slow down...So that;s the message I'm taking for now.
Also wanted to chare this little poem today. fit's my life right now for sure! Maybe it will help someone with a little bit of peace today...
Thanks again everyone. (Hey John..how is my spelling doing?? ;-)

IT'S IN THE VALLEYS I GROW

Sometimes life seems hard to bear,
Full of sorrow, trouble and woe
It's then I have to remember

If I always stayed on the mountain top
And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love
And would be living in vain.

I have so much to learn
And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops,

I do not always understand
Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing.
My Lord will see me through.

My little valleys are nothing
When I picture Christ on the cross
He went through the valley of death;
His victory was Satan's loss.

Forgive me Lord, for complaining
When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder

Continue to strengthen me, Lord
And use my life each day
To share your love with others
And help them find their way.

Thank you for valleys, Lord
For this one thing I know
The mountain tops are glorious

Laurie R on 9/26/01 at 16:15 (061645)

Dear Carmen , Thank you so much for sharring this , how beautiful ..... And like I have said before you will never go wrong with your positive attitude . We all have bump's in the road on our recovery , but we will get over them .... Thanks again ,Laurie R

Suzanne D on 9/27/01 at 21:28 (061765)

Thanks, Carmen! You brought to mind a song I had forgotten about which talks about how we love to be on the mountain top but we can't stay there all the time and says in part, '...But in the valley He restoreth my soul'. Thanks for helping me to remember that and for sharing the poem. It is a nice thought with which to end my day. I'm glad I read it tonight.

:-)