Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I say we make a drug to give terrorists PF. That will stop them dead in their tracks.

Posted by D.Thomas on 9/25/01 at 11:08 (061510)

Man, this illness is for the birds. One second I think I'm getting better and I try and increase my activites and the next day I can't walk. Don't get me wrong, the increase of activites is nothing major at all. For god's sakes it might be becuase I made my way to the bathroom two more times than usual (I'm not kidding). It seems like all I do is go to work put up my feet (thank god I have a desk job) and make my way home and put up my feet. Most days I do not walk more than 100 steps. And I'm never standing in one place more than 10 secs. My bare feet haven't touched a floor or bath tub in two months.

Then the pain starts to lower and you start to feel better and you start to think you might be getting better. You go easy and start to get your spirits up and then the next morning you wake up and you have to crawl to get anywhere. Then I try and think about what I changed to cause the re-injury, and maybe it was becuase I added five steps for the day.

Re: I say we make a drug to give terrorists PF. That will stop them dead in their tracks.

PatC on 9/25/01 at 11:54 (061517)

I know exactly how you feel. Everytime I feel better, I think 'wow I have this under control' and then the swelling and pain starts in again. Yesterday I felt pretty good after therapy and today after sitting at the computer too long, my foot is swollen again. I keep saying to myself 'this too shall pass'. When you figure out the secret for getting better let me known.

Re: I say we make a drug to give terrorists PF. That will stop them dead in their tracks.

john a on 9/25/01 at 12:25 (061521)

Man D., do I ever feel your pain - literally. You have aptly characterized my life for the past 30 months. Just when you think you might be starting to make your way a little bit up the steeply inclined wall of the pain pit, the PF monster wakes up, grabs you by the heels and pulls you right back down again. Another real kicker with PF is that you end up being over-cautious about trying anything new to get better (be it change of insert, change of footwear, change of stretching routine, etc.) for abject fear of making it worse. PF richly rewards 'stuck in a rut' behavior. A few weeks ago, my father said it almost seemed like I didn't want to get better! But I have to admit it would be easy to get that impression.

Scott R on 9/25/01 at 13:30 (061522)

There have been 3 posts to this thread about how it comes back just when you think it's getting better. If others can continue adding to this thread well-written BRIEF (concise) comments along these lines, keeping up the conversation I'll make it part of the book. Some humor thrown in would also be good.

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 14:21 (061527)

Well Scott I think I can add what I have been through ,but I am very sorry to say I don't think I write well at all , but I will do my best.

I have had PF for over two years now . Their has been many days where I thought my foot was healed and the PF monster was gone. Then of course it returned . I am not making lite of PF ,but when I just had PF and no other foot problems it was not so bad . At the time I thought it was bad until I got tenosynivitis and RSD/CRPS and not plantar fibroisis (the big lump of scar tissue on my fasica . I don't have the days anymore where I think the PF is gone. I do miss thoes days.

I think it was D that said his mother in law said he did not know what pain was . My mom has had 5 knee surgeries and she always tells me she is in pain . Or if I say I 'm in pain ,she says tell me about it .She does always think her pain is more then mine . We even had to change our PT appointments due to this . We use to drive together and have the same appointment time. It was never my appointment ,she made sure they knew of all her pain. I would just let her go on and on . HELLO !!! I am in pain too.

I like this one , when you run into someone you have not seen in a while and they say , Why does your foot still hurt. Can't your doctor make it better. Oh if it was just that easy to fix. I never even knew or heard what PF was until I got it .

The hard thing is what works for one treatment wise may not work for another. I have had cortisone shots , probably 70+ PT visits , 6 or 7 hard casts , 2 walking casts one air cast , custom orthotics , EMG testing, MRI x-rays second and third and even fouth opinions , about 8 doctors in all . I have also had a few shots just to numb my foot and ankle . Pain meds anti-inflams meds. I am sure a lot more but I can't think of anything else right now. Oh yeah how can I forget , a PM center last week , to me it was a joke. My Pod is working on a new treatment plan now for me .

But you know though all of this I always say it could always be worse. I am a happy person even in all this pain. I have learned so much from this site. I thank Scott from the bottom of my heart.....

Much love to all and peace .....Laurie R

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 15:24 (061531)

P.F.does seem to come on in a moments notice and extend it's stay way too long. Since charting I have noticed some increased pain in my P.F. associated with other infections in my body or extreme stress. I'm still tracking this to see any changes that may occur. I know in my case, breaking the pain cycle helped a lot and I do attribute it to using Dr. Reynolds Jade cream. For me, it has really made a difference.

I think if you can break the constant pain cycle it really changes your outlook because once again you believe your going to get well. Constant pain drags you down and depression sets in after days and weeks of seeing no improvement. If you can break that cycle, I think the brain and body begin to work better toward heeling.

I've had three cases of P.F. and each presented the same way, continued into an acute phase of extreme debilitating pain and inflammation then passed into a recovery stage. Each time, rest and breaking the pain cycle seemed to play an important role in the healing process. Each additional case seemed a little worse that the one before, making me think that some permanent damage must take place within the tissues. Why it goes totally away in some and lingers for years in others is a mystery I'd like solved. I'd also like more emphasis placed on the debilitating effects P.F. has on the patient, their jobs and their families and that it be treated as such, instead of a mere pain in the foot.

john h on 9/25/01 at 18:29 (061552)

scott: i have been two solid months at pain level 1 or less. two days ago i jumped back to pain level 2. the only thing that i can think of was that i wore my conventional everyday shoes for two days in a row which i had not done in years. i have very much stayed in my birks and new balance prior to that.

PatC on 9/25/01 at 11:54 (061517)

I know exactly how you feel. Everytime I feel better, I think 'wow I have this under control' and then the swelling and pain starts in again. Yesterday I felt pretty good after therapy and today after sitting at the computer too long, my foot is swollen again. I keep saying to myself 'this too shall pass'. When you figure out the secret for getting better let me known.

john a on 9/25/01 at 12:25 (061521)

Man D., do I ever feel your pain - literally. You have aptly characterized my life for the past 30 months. Just when you think you might be starting to make your way a little bit up the steeply inclined wall of the pain pit, the PF monster wakes up, grabs you by the heels and pulls you right back down again. Another real kicker with PF is that you end up being over-cautious about trying anything new to get better (be it change of insert, change of footwear, change of stretching routine, etc.) for abject fear of making it worse. PF richly rewards 'stuck in a rut' behavior. A few weeks ago, my father said it almost seemed like I didn't want to get better! But I have to admit it would be easy to get that impression.

Scott R on 9/25/01 at 13:30 (061522)

There have been 3 posts to this thread about how it comes back just when you think it's getting better. If others can continue adding to this thread well-written BRIEF (concise) comments along these lines, keeping up the conversation I'll make it part of the book. Some humor thrown in would also be good.

Laurie R on 9/25/01 at 14:21 (061527)

Well Scott I think I can add what I have been through ,but I am very sorry to say I don't think I write well at all , but I will do my best.

I have had PF for over two years now . Their has been many days where I thought my foot was healed and the PF monster was gone. Then of course it returned . I am not making lite of PF ,but when I just had PF and no other foot problems it was not so bad . At the time I thought it was bad until I got tenosynivitis and RSD/CRPS and not plantar fibroisis (the big lump of scar tissue on my fasica . I don't have the days anymore where I think the PF is gone. I do miss thoes days.

I think it was D that said his mother in law said he did not know what pain was . My mom has had 5 knee surgeries and she always tells me she is in pain . Or if I say I 'm in pain ,she says tell me about it .She does always think her pain is more then mine . We even had to change our PT appointments due to this . We use to drive together and have the same appointment time. It was never my appointment ,she made sure they knew of all her pain. I would just let her go on and on . HELLO !!! I am in pain too.

I like this one , when you run into someone you have not seen in a while and they say , Why does your foot still hurt. Can't your doctor make it better. Oh if it was just that easy to fix. I never even knew or heard what PF was until I got it .

The hard thing is what works for one treatment wise may not work for another. I have had cortisone shots , probably 70+ PT visits , 6 or 7 hard casts , 2 walking casts one air cast , custom orthotics , EMG testing, MRI x-rays second and third and even fouth opinions , about 8 doctors in all . I have also had a few shots just to numb my foot and ankle . Pain meds anti-inflams meds. I am sure a lot more but I can't think of anything else right now. Oh yeah how can I forget , a PM center last week , to me it was a joke. My Pod is working on a new treatment plan now for me .

But you know though all of this I always say it could always be worse. I am a happy person even in all this pain. I have learned so much from this site. I thank Scott from the bottom of my heart.....

Much love to all and peace .....Laurie R

Pauline on 9/25/01 at 15:24 (061531)

P.F.does seem to come on in a moments notice and extend it's stay way too long. Since charting I have noticed some increased pain in my P.F. associated with other infections in my body or extreme stress. I'm still tracking this to see any changes that may occur. I know in my case, breaking the pain cycle helped a lot and I do attribute it to using Dr. Reynolds Jade cream. For me, it has really made a difference.

I think if you can break the constant pain cycle it really changes your outlook because once again you believe your going to get well. Constant pain drags you down and depression sets in after days and weeks of seeing no improvement. If you can break that cycle, I think the brain and body begin to work better toward heeling.

I've had three cases of P.F. and each presented the same way, continued into an acute phase of extreme debilitating pain and inflammation then passed into a recovery stage. Each time, rest and breaking the pain cycle seemed to play an important role in the healing process. Each additional case seemed a little worse that the one before, making me think that some permanent damage must take place within the tissues. Why it goes totally away in some and lingers for years in others is a mystery I'd like solved. I'd also like more emphasis placed on the debilitating effects P.F. has on the patient, their jobs and their families and that it be treated as such, instead of a mere pain in the foot.

john h on 9/25/01 at 18:29 (061552)

scott: i have been two solid months at pain level 1 or less. two days ago i jumped back to pain level 2. the only thing that i can think of was that i wore my conventional everyday shoes for two days in a row which i had not done in years. i have very much stayed in my birks and new balance prior to that.