Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch Pain without Heel Pain

Posted by Ramona V. on 9/25/01 at 12:07 (061519)

I recently started running to train for a marathon. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I have pain in my arches (more in my left foot than my right). Someone told me it could be plantar fasciitis, but from what I've read I can't be sure. I don't have heel pain at all. When I wake up in the morning my arches hurt, but not my heels. Can that be a symptom of PF?

Re: Arch Pain without Heel Pain

D.Thomas on 9/25/01 at 12:25 (061520)

Plantar Fasciitis (PF) can develop across any part of the fascia. Most people have PF around the heel, but others have it anywhere around the fascia (including the arch). The fascia is a tissue that connects from your heel to the balls of your feet. I would get it check by a good foot doctor. I prefer Podiatrists, but everyone has an opinion on this. The major point is the quicker you get it diagnosed the faster you can get it to heal. The longer you go with the pain the longer it takes to heal.

Greg MacDonald on 9/25/01 at 21:59 (061589)

I am not a Doctor but I am suffering from severe foot pain which started in my arch and stayed their for about 3 months and know it has moved to my heel and believe me I am kicking myself in the butt for not getting it checked earlier.

Ramona on 9/26/01 at 11:06 (061625)

Thanks for the comments. I definitely will get it checked out by a doctor. I'm not willing to let my training suffer because I'm too lazy to get an expert opinion!

D.Thomas on 9/25/01 at 12:25 (061520)

Plantar Fasciitis (PF) can develop across any part of the fascia. Most people have PF around the heel, but others have it anywhere around the fascia (including the arch). The fascia is a tissue that connects from your heel to the balls of your feet. I would get it check by a good foot doctor. I prefer Podiatrists, but everyone has an opinion on this. The major point is the quicker you get it diagnosed the faster you can get it to heal. The longer you go with the pain the longer it takes to heal.

Greg MacDonald on 9/25/01 at 21:59 (061589)

I am not a Doctor but I am suffering from severe foot pain which started in my arch and stayed their for about 3 months and know it has moved to my heel and believe me I am kicking myself in the butt for not getting it checked earlier.

Ramona on 9/26/01 at 11:06 (061625)

Thanks for the comments. I definitely will get it checked out by a doctor. I'm not willing to let my training suffer because I'm too lazy to get an expert opinion!