Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

casual shoes?

Posted by Diane R on 9/25/01 at 18:59 (061563)

I've just been formally diagnosed with PF though I've been using this site for a month or so now and have had pain since last winter. I've come up with dress shoes for work but need to find some casual shoes for winter now that I can't wear my Birks much longer with the weather getting colder. I've tried on some Rockports but the arches are too low and my Asics walking sheos make my feet worse. What brands would others suggest I try for casual shoes appropriate for the icy north country?

Thanks,
Diane

Re: casual shoes?

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 19:25 (061570)

Diane, have you seen or tried the Birkenstock Bostons? They are clogs, and mine are suede and nice and warm with thick socks. Of course the back is out, but unless there is snow on the ground, perhaps they would be suitable for you.

Best of luck to you! :-)

Diane R on 9/27/01 at 18:17 (061755)

I thought about Bostons but live in Michigan so there is always snow, slush, ice, sleet, freezing cold mud puddles,... (I love winter - can't you tell?!) If Birks are my best option, I'll probably spring for some Auburns or Jaspers. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money unless I'm sure they will work. We don't have a store around here so I have to order them and hope.

I have a pair of Archopedicos and they are great if my feet are swelling but aren't the best for walking or for winter.

Thanks for your help,
Diane

Suzanne D on 9/27/01 at 21:22 (061764)

I know what you mean, Diane, about not wanting to pay high prices for shoes as an experiment! I bought Reebok DMX shoes this summer not too long after I found out I had PF, and now they are sitting in the closet. I hadn't found this site at that time and didn't know what to look for in shoes. They felt comfortable when I tried them on, and I thought they would be supportive. Birks have helped very much although just recently the Arizonas have started to hurt across the tops of my feet where the bottom strap strikes my foot. Now I am wearing Bostons as it is cooler (in KY we don't normally have all the ice and snow which you have!) and so far they are doing well. If I walk too much, my feet tend to get sore, so they may not be the best for walking, but I really don't know what else would be best. This is still new to me, too.

Good luck to you!

Andrea R. on 9/28/01 at 07:47 (061785)

Diane,

I live in NH so I understand the problem of winter shoes. I found the slip-on Merrills with some type of orthotics to be great for the winter unless the snow is too deep. Having stepped in more than one slush puddle last winter I also found they also kept my feet dry. You should try them on since the sizing and fit seems to vary by the style.

I carried my Birks around to change into once I got to work, home, etc.

Good luck,

Andrea

Beverly on 10/01/01 at 19:03 (061994)

You may have seen this site listed, but http://www.footsmart.com has a wide selection of walking shoes, orthopedic shoes, and various gizmos for foot problems.

Best wishes,
Beverly

Suzanne D on 9/25/01 at 19:25 (061570)

Diane, have you seen or tried the Birkenstock Bostons? They are clogs, and mine are suede and nice and warm with thick socks. Of course the back is out, but unless there is snow on the ground, perhaps they would be suitable for you.

Best of luck to you! :-)

Diane R on 9/27/01 at 18:17 (061755)

I thought about Bostons but live in Michigan so there is always snow, slush, ice, sleet, freezing cold mud puddles,... (I love winter - can't you tell?!) If Birks are my best option, I'll probably spring for some Auburns or Jaspers. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money unless I'm sure they will work. We don't have a store around here so I have to order them and hope.

I have a pair of Archopedicos and they are great if my feet are swelling but aren't the best for walking or for winter.

Thanks for your help,
Diane

Suzanne D on 9/27/01 at 21:22 (061764)

I know what you mean, Diane, about not wanting to pay high prices for shoes as an experiment! I bought Reebok DMX shoes this summer not too long after I found out I had PF, and now they are sitting in the closet. I hadn't found this site at that time and didn't know what to look for in shoes. They felt comfortable when I tried them on, and I thought they would be supportive. Birks have helped very much although just recently the Arizonas have started to hurt across the tops of my feet where the bottom strap strikes my foot. Now I am wearing Bostons as it is cooler (in KY we don't normally have all the ice and snow which you have!) and so far they are doing well. If I walk too much, my feet tend to get sore, so they may not be the best for walking, but I really don't know what else would be best. This is still new to me, too.

Good luck to you!

Andrea R. on 9/28/01 at 07:47 (061785)

Diane,

I live in NH so I understand the problem of winter shoes. I found the slip-on Merrills with some type of orthotics to be great for the winter unless the snow is too deep. Having stepped in more than one slush puddle last winter I also found they also kept my feet dry. You should try them on since the sizing and fit seems to vary by the style.

I carried my Birks around to change into once I got to work, home, etc.

Good luck,

Andrea

Beverly on 10/01/01 at 19:03 (061994)

You may have seen this site listed, but http://www.footsmart.com has a wide selection of walking shoes, orthopedic shoes, and various gizmos for foot problems.

Best wishes,
Beverly