Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Overview of arch height in shoes?

Posted by Eve M. on 9/25/01 at 20:52 (061582)

I have been experimenting with new shoes for my PF (spending time and $$ at The Walking Company at the mall!). I got a pair of Ecco sneaker-like things, and later was told by a person working there that they don't have enough arch support. They feel like they have some, and they're almost as comfortable as my Saucony sneakers, but I've discovered I can't go for hours in them.

I finally swallowed hard and paid for a pair of Mephisto clogs, which I have to say are really amazing -- the arch feels totally natural, and yet my feet magically don't hurt in them, even after fairly long periods. (I'm actually using them as my house slippers. :-) The Walking Company salesperson said that she believes wearing 'as much arch support as you can stand' is the real key to getting rid of PF.

This experience and some of the posts here made me wonder: Is it possible to put together a list of shoe brands/models in 'arch height' order? It seems like an expensive and time-consuming process for any one person to discover this by trial and error.

Thanks for your thoughts, even if this is an impossible/silly request.
-Eve

Re: Overview of arch height in shoes?

BG CPed on 9/25/01 at 21:57 (061588)

Arch height is not the only thing for pf relief. Some shoes that are very flexible and soft are not very good (aerosoles easy spirit reebok dmx) are a few. Usually the best support shoe is running or cross trainers. In most cases you can do better if you stay away from the expensive 'walking shoes' they are better looking for times when athletic shoes are not possible but runners are the most supportive. Light weight hiking shoes also work well for many.

Also many brands of inexpensive pre made inserts are better than anything they make stock. Superfeet is a good brand but there are many out there and on this site. New Balance 810 is a good all around shoe. The older 800 model was real leather the 810 is artificial but still a good shoe for $80.

Re: Overview of arch height in shoes?

BG CPed on 9/25/01 at 21:57 (061588)

Arch height is not the only thing for pf relief. Some shoes that are very flexible and soft are not very good (aerosoles easy spirit reebok dmx) are a few. Usually the best support shoe is running or cross trainers. In most cases you can do better if you stay away from the expensive 'walking shoes' they are better looking for times when athletic shoes are not possible but runners are the most supportive. Light weight hiking shoes also work well for many.

Also many brands of inexpensive pre made inserts are better than anything they make stock. Superfeet is a good brand but there are many out there and on this site. New Balance 810 is a good all around shoe. The older 800 model was real leather the 810 is artificial but still a good shoe for $80.