Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain Relief...How long did it take?

Posted by Jen I on 9/26/01 at 11:00 (061624)

I am coming up on 5 weeks since my ESWT. The only activity I have participated in is swimming. Some days seems to be better and the other days, my foot feels just like it did before treatment...sometimes worse. I was told 1-6 weeks before pain goes away, and a possible 12 weeks for healing. Just wondered about other people's experiences. How long before you felt relief, and how careful were you being about staying away from walking, jogging, hiking etc? Thanks

Re: Pain Relief...How long did it take?

Steve P on 9/28/01 at 18:23 (061820)

Jen -- I've had ESWT 3 times & have had gradual improvement throughout the process. But others have reported a noticeable improvement at 6 to 8 weeks post-ESWT, and others at 10 to 12 weeks. Sometimes it takes 2 treatments.

I think, in general, that the period from 6 to 12 weeks post-ESWT is considered to be optimal for healing. But it depends on the machine & the specifics of the patient.

Steve

Ron on 10/03/01 at 22:23 (062196)

12 weeks after my first treatment I resumed more normal activity including working out. My PF was better but I could feel warnings of things getting worse. Repeated treatment. I'm 6 weeks out and feeling better. One of the things that has helped me the most has been religious stretching exercises as recommended by POD.

Steve P on 9/28/01 at 18:23 (061820)

Jen -- I've had ESWT 3 times & have had gradual improvement throughout the process. But others have reported a noticeable improvement at 6 to 8 weeks post-ESWT, and others at 10 to 12 weeks. Sometimes it takes 2 treatments.

I think, in general, that the period from 6 to 12 weeks post-ESWT is considered to be optimal for healing. But it depends on the machine & the specifics of the patient.

Steve

Ron on 10/03/01 at 22:23 (062196)

12 weeks after my first treatment I resumed more normal activity including working out. My PF was better but I could feel warnings of things getting worse. Repeated treatment. I'm 6 weeks out and feeling better. One of the things that has helped me the most has been religious stretching exercises as recommended by POD.