Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF for 1 1/2 yrs and no better off!!!!!!!!

Posted by CatherineL on 9/26/01 at 16:46 (061654)

I've posted on the dr board and thought it would also be a good idea to post here to get some ideas/input.

Thanx
CL

Diagnosed with PF/Heel spurs about 1 1/2 years ago.

Tried EVERYTHING except ESWT and night splint (not sleeping well to begin with and can't get used to wearing it at night).

My feet hurt all the time. I definately have PF, since my feet are stiff and painful in the morning and after rest, but my ankle, ball of foot and heel all hurt and get worse as the day goes on. My ankle now sometimes feels as if its going to dislocate.

Right now I am taping, wearing orthotics, never barefoot, massage therapy, vioxx, & mild stretching. Icing when bad, heat & stretching when stiff.

Once I go off the Vioxx, I'm in terrible pain all the time and almost unable to walk at all. I'm no better after over a year of all kinds of treatments (and left with empty pockets) than I was 1 1/2 years ago when it started.

Back to the dr. next week and will discuss with him, but any ideas?

Thanx
Catherine

Re: PF for 1 1/2 yrs and no better off!!!!!!!!

paula on 9/26/01 at 17:02 (061656)

might be good to succintly list what's helped even tho i know it's on the search board. doesnt hurt to list stuff here i reckon. lately getting state of the art therapy in desperate attempt to heal my various severe foot problems including pf. the new ( or hasn't been tried in a long time)stuff being tried is: myofascial release, iontophoresis with cortisone, much more serious icing more often longer, warm therapy pool before stretch or exercise, seems like the cortisone is the biggest help, the myofascial release and the warming up thouroghly seem to be making a difference. also have an appointment with an orthotist for an afo ( ankle foot orthosis) next week. other folks listing what helps for them lately would be good too.

paula on 9/26/01 at 17:03 (061657)

and while we're at it, what's helping lately with achilles tendonitis, my big problem.

Steve P on 9/26/01 at 17:16 (061663)

Catherine -- I am also at 1 1/2 years with PF, & it's also been a rough road for me. Like you, I have bilateral PF with pain at multiple locations on both feet.

At the 1 year mark I had my first ESWT. I've since had 2 more. I'm happy to say that the ESWT has been effective at the specific points applied. My heel & arch pain are now nearly gone, and I attribute this to the locations of the first 2 ESWT treatments.

My remaining pain is now concentrated along the outside edge of each sole. Last week Dr. Z gave me my 3rd ESWT treatment & targetted the lateral (outside) band of each foot. He hopes that this will address my remaining problem.

For me, with a severe case of bilateral PF, ESWT seems to have made the difference. It's not a siver bullet, but I believe it's been the key to my recovery.

You may want to look into it.

Best................Steve

CatherineL on 9/27/01 at 08:10 (061711)

Thanx for the posts,

The problem I have with ESWT is that the closest location is about a 20hr drive from here. It would be quite costly to go, especially if I need to go back a few more times.

If they start recommending surgery for me, I'll have to try the ESWT as a last ditch effort.

I guess I'm hoping for a miricle cure that isn't so much trouble and money.

I've had laser which reduce the pain by about 80% at 6 treatments, but as soon as I stopped treatment the pain came back, so for me it wasn't a cure.

Thanx
Catherine

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 10:47 (061725)

Hi CathrineL,

You are in the same boat as myself. I don't know where you live but I have to believe ESWT will be in all the major hospitals in the next year. I hope you can hold out that long. Have you looked into real pain meds? With the right med and dosage, it might make that year wait a little easier.

Good luck
BCG

paula on 9/26/01 at 17:02 (061656)

might be good to succintly list what's helped even tho i know it's on the search board. doesnt hurt to list stuff here i reckon. lately getting state of the art therapy in desperate attempt to heal my various severe foot problems including pf. the new ( or hasn't been tried in a long time)stuff being tried is: myofascial release, iontophoresis with cortisone, much more serious icing more often longer, warm therapy pool before stretch or exercise, seems like the cortisone is the biggest help, the myofascial release and the warming up thouroghly seem to be making a difference. also have an appointment with an orthotist for an afo ( ankle foot orthosis) next week. other folks listing what helps for them lately would be good too.

paula on 9/26/01 at 17:03 (061657)

and while we're at it, what's helping lately with achilles tendonitis, my big problem.

Steve P on 9/26/01 at 17:16 (061663)

Catherine -- I am also at 1 1/2 years with PF, & it's also been a rough road for me. Like you, I have bilateral PF with pain at multiple locations on both feet.

At the 1 year mark I had my first ESWT. I've since had 2 more. I'm happy to say that the ESWT has been effective at the specific points applied. My heel & arch pain are now nearly gone, and I attribute this to the locations of the first 2 ESWT treatments.

My remaining pain is now concentrated along the outside edge of each sole. Last week Dr. Z gave me my 3rd ESWT treatment & targetted the lateral (outside) band of each foot. He hopes that this will address my remaining problem.

For me, with a severe case of bilateral PF, ESWT seems to have made the difference. It's not a siver bullet, but I believe it's been the key to my recovery.

You may want to look into it.

Best................Steve

CatherineL on 9/27/01 at 08:10 (061711)

Thanx for the posts,

The problem I have with ESWT is that the closest location is about a 20hr drive from here. It would be quite costly to go, especially if I need to go back a few more times.

If they start recommending surgery for me, I'll have to try the ESWT as a last ditch effort.

I guess I'm hoping for a miricle cure that isn't so much trouble and money.

I've had laser which reduce the pain by about 80% at 6 treatments, but as soon as I stopped treatment the pain came back, so for me it wasn't a cure.

Thanx
Catherine

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 10:47 (061725)

Hi CathrineL,

You are in the same boat as myself. I don't know where you live but I have to believe ESWT will be in all the major hospitals in the next year. I hope you can hold out that long. Have you looked into real pain meds? With the right med and dosage, it might make that year wait a little easier.

Good luck
BCG