Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bike Riding

Posted by Quannie on 9/26/01 at 17:33 (061666)

Would bike riding on flat terrain (no hills at all) be less stressful for a PF sufferer than walking several miles?

Thanks.

Re: Bike Riding

Gloria S on 9/26/01 at 18:30 (061669)

I appreciate that you posted this question because I'd like the answer as well. How about stationery biking? I desperately need movement and exercise. Previously, I walked 3-4 miles each day.

All answers appreciated.

PatC on 9/26/01 at 19:37 (061673)

I too would like to know the answer. I used to walk daily. I have a recumbent bike to support the back, but the last time I tried to use it my foot hurt the rest of the day. It is frustrating not being able to do anything.

Re: While you wait for the doc

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 07:28 (061709)

If I am not a doctor....but IF you can perform exercise and function with the pain or the problem of PF than it's probably up to you what you can handle. Does it hurt worse to walk? If so don't do it. Does it hurt to ride a bike? If not than ride but BE CAREFUL. Each person is different....I think you'll find that for the most part there are MANY people on this board that were very active (I was one of them) before they got PF (some kept going and are now very bad off). Sometimes it's okay to just take a break.....your body may be trying to tell you something. If you exercise you could make it worse.....I would definitely find a doc you can trust and get his opinion on the status of your problem.

John E on 9/27/01 at 08:45 (061714)

As someone else said, it is all individual / personal but...

My podiatrist has suggested bike riding or swimming as one of the alternatives to my favorite forms of pounding excecise. In my experience I have done it with significantly less pain than walking for a similar duration. Hills or no hills hasn't seemed to make a great difference.

As a caveat - I feel I am on the upswing in my recovery, not a doctor.

Good Luck - John

Re: bike riding

paula on 9/27/01 at 08:58 (061717)

my physical therapist is relying heavily on stationary bike as one solution to my severe pf, tendonitis, pttd. she stresses that i have to start very light and slow and work my way up week by week. i bought a stationary bike and am beginning the process. she feels that strong anlkes feet legs with stretching is my way out. what do others think of this? i am currently in a wheelchair and have not walked in a long time. the bike is the first 'functional' exercise they are starting me on. so it is a little nerve wracking to hear that you walking exercising folks have your pf made worse by a bike. yikes.

Re: Paula

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 12:19 (061738)

One step at a time and bike riding is probably the safest route you can go for execise. Some people start PT walking again with TWO steps on the first day three on the next etc.... Stretching is a great strengthening exercise and your body will thank you for it. I currently stretch to stay strong...as I know cardio would be the best bet but with bad feet and hips and glutes...well you know the rest.
But I definitely think you are moving forward...GOOD for you!!!!
Enjoy that bike riding.....your heart will thank you!

Re: carmen

paula on 9/27/01 at 12:31 (061739)

thanks for that idea carmen. adding one more rotaion a day or every other day seems like a sensible thing to me.

wallyh on 10/01/01 at 06:33 (061956)

Quannie,

That was a question that plagued me me until I tried it. The doctor gave me the okay on it after had read comments in Scott's book and other postings. I had and have no difficulty biking, although walking was about the worst excercize I have tried. Biking, although not my favorite excercize has kept me sane, as I am an active person. I agree that most of the answers you probably get here would be subjective, and you should follow what your body is telling you. I think anything that keeps the fascia stretched and improves circulation will probably improve healing.

Wally

Gloria S on 9/26/01 at 18:30 (061669)

I appreciate that you posted this question because I'd like the answer as well. How about stationery biking? I desperately need movement and exercise. Previously, I walked 3-4 miles each day.

All answers appreciated.

PatC on 9/26/01 at 19:37 (061673)

I too would like to know the answer. I used to walk daily. I have a recumbent bike to support the back, but the last time I tried to use it my foot hurt the rest of the day. It is frustrating not being able to do anything.

Re: While you wait for the doc

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 07:28 (061709)

If I am not a doctor....but IF you can perform exercise and function with the pain or the problem of PF than it's probably up to you what you can handle. Does it hurt worse to walk? If so don't do it. Does it hurt to ride a bike? If not than ride but BE CAREFUL. Each person is different....I think you'll find that for the most part there are MANY people on this board that were very active (I was one of them) before they got PF (some kept going and are now very bad off). Sometimes it's okay to just take a break.....your body may be trying to tell you something. If you exercise you could make it worse.....I would definitely find a doc you can trust and get his opinion on the status of your problem.

John E on 9/27/01 at 08:45 (061714)

As someone else said, it is all individual / personal but...

My podiatrist has suggested bike riding or swimming as one of the alternatives to my favorite forms of pounding excecise. In my experience I have done it with significantly less pain than walking for a similar duration. Hills or no hills hasn't seemed to make a great difference.

As a caveat - I feel I am on the upswing in my recovery, not a doctor.

Good Luck - John

Re: bike riding

paula on 9/27/01 at 08:58 (061717)

my physical therapist is relying heavily on stationary bike as one solution to my severe pf, tendonitis, pttd. she stresses that i have to start very light and slow and work my way up week by week. i bought a stationary bike and am beginning the process. she feels that strong anlkes feet legs with stretching is my way out. what do others think of this? i am currently in a wheelchair and have not walked in a long time. the bike is the first 'functional' exercise they are starting me on. so it is a little nerve wracking to hear that you walking exercising folks have your pf made worse by a bike. yikes.

Re: Paula

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 12:19 (061738)

One step at a time and bike riding is probably the safest route you can go for execise. Some people start PT walking again with TWO steps on the first day three on the next etc.... Stretching is a great strengthening exercise and your body will thank you for it. I currently stretch to stay strong...as I know cardio would be the best bet but with bad feet and hips and glutes...well you know the rest.
But I definitely think you are moving forward...GOOD for you!!!!
Enjoy that bike riding.....your heart will thank you!

paula on 9/27/01 at 12:31 (061739)

thanks for that idea carmen. adding one more rotaion a day or every other day seems like a sensible thing to me.

wallyh on 10/01/01 at 06:33 (061956)

Quannie,

That was a question that plagued me me until I tried it. The doctor gave me the okay on it after had read comments in Scott's book and other postings. I had and have no difficulty biking, although walking was about the worst excercize I have tried. Biking, although not my favorite excercize has kept me sane, as I am an active person. I agree that most of the answers you probably get here would be subjective, and you should follow what your body is telling you. I think anything that keeps the fascia stretched and improves circulation will probably improve healing.

Wally