Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do I have Plantar fasciitis?

Posted by Alice M on 9/27/01 at 09:35 (061721)

I think I may have been misdiagnosed by my doctor, he claims that I have pf, but I don't have any pain in my ankle at all.

The pain started in the front ball of both feet and then worked it's way through the whole foot and slightly up the calf. My symptoms started 3 weeks ago and it has been living hell. My feet are freezing I have to wear slippers and socks 24/7, I have non-stop numbness and tingling through both feet and sometimes when I walk on my right foot it feels like I am walking on 2 marbles but there is nothing there. After I walk about a block my feet are so tired it feels like I walked 10 miles.

Someone please help me find out what Is wrong, In the last 5 years I have had 2 c-sections, 7 hernia repairs, vericose veins stripped, appendix removed. My last surgery was Aug. 9 2001 and I believe it may have been succefull this time and I was just going to start improving my lifestyle by losing weight and quitting smoking and exercising and then this happens and I think 'why me, I have been through enough already this isnt fair' I am almost ready to just lay down and die, thank god for my 2 wonderful children who will keep me going.

Re: Do I have Plantar fasciitis?

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 10:38 (061724)

Just thought I should mention that I have had blood tests taken for Diabetes, thyroid, B12 and they came back negative. Have not had any x-rays taken which will be my next step I guesse. Also when my Doc. diagnosed me with pf all he did was pinch my feet together at the toes and squeezed my heel, I told him that there was no pain only pins and needles feeling in the heel he still said pf. I am leaning more to neuroma.

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 11:13 (061728)

Hi Alice,

Have you been checked for Neuropothy, or Peripheral Neuropothy? You can get a lot of info from any search engine. I believe you would see a Neurologist for this. Just brain storming here..... Good luck

BCG

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 11:58 (061734)

Thanks Brian for replying so quickly,
I will take your advise and see a neurologist. I would have to be refered by my family doctor though who just yesterday said I have pf. Do you think I should wait a few more weeks to see if the feelings go away? from what I have been reading on neuropathy I feel like I should just learn to live with it instead.

Re: To Alice Do I have Plantar fasciitis?

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 12:11 (061736)

Alice,
Come on, don't give up so quickly we're here to help and give you support.
First you need to really find out the correct diagnosis, I'd see a neruologist for a second opinion and go from there. There are several
causes for neruopathy so keeping a positive outlook will help you as you sort things out. I definately agree with Brian, a neurologist could provide some important answers for you. Good Luck.

Re: Go to a Neurologist

CArmen H on 9/27/01 at 12:14 (061737)

Speaking from a lot of experience with a lot of doctors lately...I say Get yourself to a neurologist. Let them determine if you have Neuropathy and don't try to fix yourself no matter what it may be. You could end up worse if you try to 'live with it'. Neuropathies are painful but there are options to help you lie a normal life.....get to the doctor first.
Not every foot problem is just plain old PF....trust me.
good luck...come back to us for support!

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 12:56 (061742)

Carmen,
Did you go for your appointment? Did he provide anything new for you to consider?

Re: Wow! you guys sure respond quick

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 13:11 (061743)

Hey thanks a lot you guys for all the info. I only posted my question this morning. It will probably take a while for me to get in to see somebody but I promise that I will keep comeing back and checking on any new info. I will let you know what the neuro says.

Re: Pauline

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 13:58 (061747)

Just the Neuritis, Lumbar Radiculapthy, Radiculitis and of course thedreaded Carpal Tunnel....feet are being affected (she thinks) by the lower back.the burning is caused by the Myelin covering of my nerves being worn away. (Funny...these are all the things I had written down that I was sure were wrong with me anyway and she diagnosed me with it all....)
So I go Oct. 31st. for EMG testing. She seemed VERY knowledgable...said not to panic....I'm going to get better/.....etc.

thanks for asking...:-)

Re: Re:To Carmen

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 16:03 (061752)

Carmen,
Your research paid off and you sure were prepared for her had she not agreed with your diagnosis. Sounds like the both of you clicked and her
encouraging remark is certainly something to hang on to. I'm happy that you liked her and feel encouraged. The hard part will be hanging on to what she said, the don't panic part. Continued success. You did a great job filling in a lot of the blanks for yourself.

Carmen H on 9/28/01 at 07:14 (061780)

I will come to you to calm me down....is that okay? ;-)
I'll try my best.....no panicking Carmen.

Re: Carmen

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 08:33 (061788)

Carmen,
Glad to help anyway I can. I've been there, done that panicking stuff and it isn't pleasant.

john h on 10/01/01 at 19:45 (062005)

by all means get another opinion. perhaps from a neurologist..

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 10:38 (061724)

Just thought I should mention that I have had blood tests taken for Diabetes, thyroid, B12 and they came back negative. Have not had any x-rays taken which will be my next step I guesse. Also when my Doc. diagnosed me with pf all he did was pinch my feet together at the toes and squeezed my heel, I told him that there was no pain only pins and needles feeling in the heel he still said pf. I am leaning more to neuroma.

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 11:13 (061728)

Hi Alice,

Have you been checked for Neuropothy, or Peripheral Neuropothy? You can get a lot of info from any search engine. I believe you would see a Neurologist for this. Just brain storming here..... Good luck

BCG

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 11:58 (061734)

Thanks Brian for replying so quickly,
I will take your advise and see a neurologist. I would have to be refered by my family doctor though who just yesterday said I have pf. Do you think I should wait a few more weeks to see if the feelings go away? from what I have been reading on neuropathy I feel like I should just learn to live with it instead.

Re: To Alice Do I have Plantar fasciitis?

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 12:11 (061736)

Alice,
Come on, don't give up so quickly we're here to help and give you support.
First you need to really find out the correct diagnosis, I'd see a neruologist for a second opinion and go from there. There are several
causes for neruopathy so keeping a positive outlook will help you as you sort things out. I definately agree with Brian, a neurologist could provide some important answers for you. Good Luck.

CArmen H on 9/27/01 at 12:14 (061737)

Speaking from a lot of experience with a lot of doctors lately...I say Get yourself to a neurologist. Let them determine if you have Neuropathy and don't try to fix yourself no matter what it may be. You could end up worse if you try to 'live with it'. Neuropathies are painful but there are options to help you lie a normal life.....get to the doctor first.
Not every foot problem is just plain old PF....trust me.
good luck...come back to us for support!

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 12:56 (061742)

Carmen,
Did you go for your appointment? Did he provide anything new for you to consider?

Re: Wow! you guys sure respond quick

Alice M on 9/27/01 at 13:11 (061743)

Hey thanks a lot you guys for all the info. I only posted my question this morning. It will probably take a while for me to get in to see somebody but I promise that I will keep comeing back and checking on any new info. I will let you know what the neuro says.

Carmen H on 9/27/01 at 13:58 (061747)

Just the Neuritis, Lumbar Radiculapthy, Radiculitis and of course thedreaded Carpal Tunnel....feet are being affected (she thinks) by the lower back.the burning is caused by the Myelin covering of my nerves being worn away. (Funny...these are all the things I had written down that I was sure were wrong with me anyway and she diagnosed me with it all....)
So I go Oct. 31st. for EMG testing. She seemed VERY knowledgable...said not to panic....I'm going to get better/.....etc.

thanks for asking...:-)

Re: Re:To Carmen

Pauline on 9/27/01 at 16:03 (061752)

Carmen,
Your research paid off and you sure were prepared for her had she not agreed with your diagnosis. Sounds like the both of you clicked and her
encouraging remark is certainly something to hang on to. I'm happy that you liked her and feel encouraged. The hard part will be hanging on to what she said, the don't panic part. Continued success. You did a great job filling in a lot of the blanks for yourself.

Carmen H on 9/28/01 at 07:14 (061780)

I will come to you to calm me down....is that okay? ;-)
I'll try my best.....no panicking Carmen.

Re: Carmen

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 08:33 (061788)

Carmen,
Glad to help anyway I can. I've been there, done that panicking stuff and it isn't pleasant.

john h on 10/01/01 at 19:45 (062005)

by all means get another opinion. perhaps from a neurologist..